Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell the dive shop to kiss your a$$. If you want my opinion here it is and it will last you 20 years easy. Its gear you can build on and take on any diving you would want to do outside of trimix. If you want to go trimix, then add roughly another $750 for different computer.
BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600

Regulator:
-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)

Dive Computer:
-Shearwater Perdix 2 Ti ($1400+) (Like the idea of being able to replace my own battery unlike the Teric model)

The rest, if you spend over $300 it would be nuts. Now add all this together and compare with your dive shop. You will find you have a lot of money to spend on diving instead of sitting around in your garage looking at dive gear. Also you have enough money to spend on a dry suit.

Im new to Scuba Diving and just got my open water. As most of you know Scuba gear could be super expensive as Ive already spent a lot on mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuite, and boots

Although I may have taken a few shortcuts on a few items (e.g., SMB, Finger reels, Bolt snaps, Mesh backpack for gear, Equipment bags, etc..),
there are some areas that I dont mind spending a little extra.
Was hoping you pros could tell me your honest opinion on what you think as my first major items on my purchase list and if you would do anything different:

Items are in order on how plan to purchase them (Order might change if I find good deals on them) especially around the holidays).
If anyone has any items they are interested in selling, feel free to shoot me a DM. Doesnt hurt to ask :)

Dive Computer:
-Shearwater Perdix 2 Ti ($1400+) (Like the idea of being able to replace my own battery unlike the Teric model)
-Shearwater Swift AI Transmitter ($400)

Regulator:
-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)
-Atomic Ocotopus Z2 -or- Ti2 ($250 - $400)
-Oceanic Proplus 4.0 (Non-wireless Backup SPG, just incase dive computer ever fails) ($750)
-Atomic AI Inflator Titanium ($300, might purchase open box to save some)

BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600
-Atomic BC1 (seems a little bulky so leaning more towards the BC2)
-Atomic BC2

Other:
-Eventually would like to purchase spring straps for fins. Those are currently priced at about $75
-Cutting tools and gloves as I plan to start a group doing ocean cleanups
Does the $2000 atomic breathe any better than a $500 Dive Rite? Nope! And Dive Rite has better customer service. I’m a dealer for both. I don’t dive atomic. It’s stupid expensive and doesn’t breathe any better.

Good point about a light. I got a cheap one and I think I’ve used it on every dive since (none at night), often just for peering into crevices. It’s become essential kit for me.

Good point about a light. I got a cheap one and I think I’ve used it on every dive since (none at night), often just for peering into crevices. It’s become essential kit for me.

I bring 3 on every dive, but we are trying to save the OP money here.

I bring 3 on every dive, but we are trying to save the OP money here.
1 on the harness, one in my thigh pocket. Every dive. Add to that my camera light when I have my rig (90% of dives).

My NiteScuba S20 has been fantastic. The S12 lives in my pocket.

$59 Nitescuba S20 https://a.co/d/i684Ywz

$36 NiteScuba S12 https://a.co/d/bxQ4Lg8

At least one clipped on the BC for bright, clear water day dives. Two for night or expected dark environs.

OMMOHY

Can light clipped off unless I need or want it. (Being a NE diver I use it every dive). Two smaller lights in my pockets, so yes I have 2k worth of lights alone every dive, 🤣.

With that being said the OP is brand new, not tec, not pro yet. But with buying a good reg, bc etc we could save enough money to buy these things instead of getting ripped off.

As others have mentioned, if you can get down to Aqui Watersports in Lauderdale by the Sea, they can outfit you with rental backplate and wing setups. They also have Deep 6 Signature regulators as part of their rental kit. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the time and gas to get there as you will get solid advice and get to try equipment that will potentially save you a lot more in the long run.

No need to run straight off the deep end for equipment. A "basic" computer that you can use for a fair bit as you work on building up your experience. Do you need AI? It's a nice to have feature, but won't make you any better of a diver. More diving, specifically more diving that enforces good habits, will make you a better diver. Save the money on the gucci gear to put it towards diving. The Deep6 Excursion computer is a solid unit (currently $350) and should you decide later down the line you want a large display Perdix or such, you can sell the Excursion, or as most people find themselves doing, keeping their old computer as a backup.

If you are a military veteran you have PX privileges. Check the online PX, Exchange | Military Discount - Tax Free Shopping . They are partnered with Online Scuba and offer additional discounts from retail as well as no sales tax and free shipping over $50.

Dive Gear Express (DGX) has a whole package here: DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing + DGX Gears XTRA Reg Package It starts at $899 for an aluminum backplate and wing as well as a complete regulator set and SPG. If you want weight pouches it'll add a few bucks to the price, as will a stainless plate. You can switch to a stainless plate for an extra $25 and choose whichever size weight pouches you need, anywhere from 8# trim weight pouches for $26 to the biggest Dive Rite 32# quick release weight pouches for $135.

If you have some mechanical inclination, both the Deep6 and DGX are end-user serviceable. Some brands only sell parts kits to their authorized service shops and as such will not support you in the least for working on your own gear. Videos are available online to walk you through the process. Or you can simply send them out, whichever you are comfortable with.

So if you were to go with the DGX package with the stainless plate and trim weight pockets, you could have that setup for $950. Add the Deep6 Excursion computer for $350 and you are ready to dive for $1300. That's less than just the computer and air transmitter you are currently considering.

You could save a few bucks by going used, but with regulators you'll want to get them fully serviced (unless the seller has paperwork showing this was just done by a reputable shop) which will add to the cost as this can easily be a couple hundred dollars or more for the regulator set. The titanium regs are good for saving weight if you plan on doing a lot of traveling, but the weight of the regulator also works for you as part of your overall buoyancy. Some airlines (not ones I've used) may have weight limits on carry-on bags, which is where I keep my regs.

Oh, and skip the Atomic Titanium low pressure inflator. A simple plain K style power inflator is all you need. The Atomic looks and smells of spoiled snake oil for a dive shop looking to straight up rip you off. The claim for it is what? Increased service interval? The current price for an entire K style inflator is $18. Just cut your old cable tie off and affix the new inflator if you are worried about it its serviceability. I'm sure that's less than the price of the service kit alone for the Atomic product. And if you really do want to service the K style inflator, you can get an O-ring kit for three bucks,

I just got to looking at the Atomic BC2's web page. $1550 and it says this: "Please Note: Inflator assembly sold separately" Are you flipping kidding me? $1550 for a BC and they didn't even include a sub $20 power inflator. Oh right, they want you to buy the $200 inflator. There's getting screwed but this is flat out sexual assault. I have images of Doc Brown running around in my head screaming, "Fifteen hundred and fifty bucks! Fifteen hundred and fifty bucks! And it doesn't even include a power inflator!"

Even the Scubapro Hydros Pro (similar setup to the Atomic BC2) that lists for $1330 includes a power inflator. Of course you can upgrade to the Air2, but don't do that, stick with a regular octo. I've had my hands on a Hyrdros Pro, and they are quality, but I can't see spending that much for a BC that is basically trying to mimic being a backplate that you can get for half that price.

I've had my hands on a Hyrdros Pro, and they are quality, but I can't see spending that much for a BC that is basically trying to mimic being a backplate that you can get for half that price.

I recently got my own Hydros Pro and have had 20 dives on it, I will no longer use my less expensive BP/W for recreational diving. It isn't just about high quality, it is also comfort, customization and stability. I use BP/W for double tank kit only now. Price is last consideration when all is equal.

I recently got my own Hydros Pro and have had 20 dives on it, I will no longer use my less expensive BP/W for recreational diving. It isn't just about high quality, it is also comfort, customization and stability. I use BP/W for double tank kit only now. Price is last consideration when all is equal.
Yeah, but you're a SP fanboy, so....
I have not dived Hydros pro, but have held it and I really can't see any feture it has that can't be replicated in BPW for less money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom