Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry I came on so strong in post #3. I was flabbergasted. Since you mention these were recommendations from a dive shop things make more sense. The shop is trying to profit excessively from your inexperience.
A high percentage of new divers drop out soon after certification. Even those who bought reasonably priced equipment face a considerable loss on resale. I recommend that you research equipment carefully, listen to people on this board, take your time, listen to divers you might meet, and set yourself a budget. Dive a lot. Renting equipment is not a bad option at first.
Good luck and have fun.
I'd second this. Whatever dive-shop you walked into saw you as a sucker. They make used-car-salesmen look reputable. Stay VERY far away from that dive-shop, except perhaps when getting tank fills, and promise yourself you won't buy anything else from there (at least not before getting a 2nd opinion from other divers).

Many of the dive-classes like to push the message "support your local dive shop" as if that's an act of kindness, altruism, and makes you a good person. Sure, Dive-Shops are important, but they're a business, like any other. Some are run by highly-ethical well-meaning types. Others are lazy, happy to cheat you, will rent out dangerous equipment, etc.

edit I might not even go there for fills, at least not now. The dive-shop is likely to trick and pressure you into buying stuff you don't need, and give you bad advice.

The prices you have in the opening post are insane, but I think that point has been adequately made. As someone who just bought new gear (after a 20+year break in diving) I would suggest NOT buying anything until you do a lot of reading here. There are tons of choices out there, and it’s really easy to spend $1,500 on something when what you really need is the $500 alternative that does the same thing.

I spent a lot of time looking at retailers like Divers Supply and Dive Right In - not necessarily to buy there, but to get an idea of prices and to familiarize myself with what’s out there. I’d Google gear I was interested in (which often gives you links to Scubaboard threads) to learn more. And be honest with yourself about what you intend to do - your needs will be much different if you’re planning on jumping to tech diving quickly versus staying more rec.

I ended up getting a HOG BP/w package with a stainless plate, weight pockets, and reg set for less than $825. Bought a used Peregrine and Avanti Quattro fins from a guy here. New Cressi mask (to replace my 30 year-old mask that is actually still quite functional) from Amazon. Wetsuit package from Scuba.com. I’m into this for less than the cost of the BCD your shop was trying to sell you and it’s gear I’m comfortable with, that suits my needs, and should last me a long time.

I'd second this. Whatever dive-shop you walked into saw you as a sucker. They make used-car-salesmen look reputable. Stay VERY far away from that dive-shop, except perhaps when getting tank fills, and promise yourself you won't buy anything else from there (at least not before getting a 2nd opinion from other divers).

edit I might not even go there for fills, at least not now. The dive-shop is likely to trick and pressure you into buying stuff you don't need, and give you bad advice.
Or close the valve at 3,000# on a hot, fast fill. You just thought you had a full bottle when you went in!

Many of the dive-classes like to push the message "support your local dive shop" as if that's an act of kindness, altruism, and makes you a good person. Sure, Dive-Shops are important, but they're a business, like any other. Some are run by highly-ethical well-meaning types. Others are lazy, happy to cheat you, will rent out dangerous equipment, etc.
A good dive shop is a GREAT THING, a bad one not so much. Support the good ones, not the bad ones.

My dive shop initially recommended the ST1 until they mentioned for about $100 more the T3 would last a lot longer. Thats honestly the only reason.
Regular spg is what I was looking for, but I cant figure out where and what brand. Its was what someone recommended since I had a hard time finding a regular one. They said they recommended it since the regular ones were prone to breaking after a few uses in pressure.

This is a bold faced outright lie. That shop is run by greed. Run the hell away from it as fast as you can. I have regular SPG's that cost around 50 that I've been using for years. That have several hundred dives on them. This is a prime example of a shop that needs to fail.
Jesus H Christ! Every time I see crap like this it reinforces the decision to get the hell out of the business of diving rather than even be associated with BS operations like this.

This is a bold faced outright lie. That shop is run by greed. Run the hell away from it as fast as you can. I have regular SPG's that cost around 50 that I've been using for years. That have several hundred dives on them. This is a prime example of a shop that needs to fail.
Jesus H Christ! Every time I see crap like this it reinforces the decision to get the hell out of the business of diving rather than even be associated with BS operations like this.
To reinforce what Jim said, there are a bunch of cheaper SPG's available. Check these out (all are good, personal preference may lead to more or less expensive):

or
or
or
or
or
or

Yeah, we talked about carrying Atomic...
We do 90% brand new divers at the shop. We can get you in the water for less than half of what you listed.

Heed the words of the previous responses, that's a lot of expensive gear.

Don't get me or the other posters wrong. Atomic is a perfectly good brand with many appropriate choices for you. We each have our favorite brands for various reasons which may or may not align with yours. But we all agree your are being taken advantage of in this case.

Like L3 said ...

I really DO like AA. My B2 and ST1 are great.

WRT to the LDS saying the AA titanium regs last so much longer, I went and looked at some of the AA propaganda, er, I mean informational material, and it said:

"the titanium alloy we utilize is so resistant to corrosion that it’s able to survive 300 years in sea water without showing a hint of rust."

So if one plans on leaving a reg soaking in sea water for the next 300 years, then maybe they could rationalize springing for the T3.... Or - to be really special durable - the T25.

(Personally, I wonder how they've been able to observe the 300 year rust free period to support their claim.)

But once you move past safe, functional and comfortable, it's all just so much pimpish bling. And that's OK if that's their motivation and they understand it.

(I'm vain. I have my blingish vices.)

OMMOHY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom