Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but you're a SP fanboy, so....

So when you're persistently promoting other brand, DGX, etc., that makes it better? Why I am "SP fanboy"? Isn't because they make great equipment and have been doing it for 60 years?

I have not dived Hydros pro, but have held it
Yes, that's a great way to judge, hold it in your hand as if you are holding a vegetable in the vegetable market and judge it.

In your opinion, can you tell me if you felt a difference between the Z2 and B2? looking at them now. Reconsidering this over the T3 since its definitely a lot cheaper. Only reason why I chose the T3 is them selling me that it would last longer
If your dive shop steered you directly to these choices, it sounds like your dive shop looks at you and only sees $$$. Just walk out and don’t go back there again. Depending on where you are in FL, there is likely another dive shop around the corner.

There is zero reason to go for the Ti regulator. I guess the Ti regulator may last longer, but it’s not a difference that is worth noting. I’ve got several Zeagle regulators in the family. The oldest is just under 20 years old and could probably still pass for new.

Atomic used to report on their website that all Atomic regs breathe the same. You definitely don’t need to spend anywhere near what they want you to spend. Even at a fraction of the total cost, you can still end up with great kit that will serve you well for a long time. Longevity is more closely tied to care and maintenance than it is to materials used.

-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)

Wtf just for a Regulator?... I have spent "only" ~$1900 on all my diving equipment so far. Some new, some used:

- Aqualung Zuma BCD
- XDeep Zen BCD
- Mares Abyss with MR52X Reg
- Mares Avanti Quattro+ fins
- Aqualung Boots
- Mares 2nd Skin Shorty 3mm
- Scubapro Definition "Semidry" 5mm
- Aqualung i330r DC
- Scubapro Devil mask
- Apeks VX1 mask

+ smaller stuff like snorkel, boltsnaps, knife and linecutter, DSMB etc.

In preperation to drysuit diving:

- Kallweit Gator boots
- Kwark Navy undersuit
- 2nd pair Avanti fins in bigger size
- Waterproof hood and gloves

And I made (almost) no compromises. But I also read up a lot, asked questions and needed a lot of patience with the used items.

The idea and plan I had at the beginning has worked out very well so far and I am equipped for many different situations.

Even the Scubapro Hydros Pro (similar setup to the Atomic BC2) that lists for $1330 includes a power inflator. Of course you can upgrade to the Air2, but don't do that, stick with a regular octo. I've had my hands on a Hyrdros Pro, and they are quality, but I can't see spending that much for a BC that is basically trying to mimic being a backplate that you can get for half that price.
I made the mistake of buying an SP Hydros Pro. Don't get me wrong, it is really nice and I don't plan to replace it as my single tank BC till it wears out. It just wasn't worth the price premium. But, in hindsight, I wish I had bought something half the price and spent the difference on diving. Since I started sidemount diving, I only use it when doing OW/AOW clases.

So when you're persistently promoting other brand, DGX, etc., that makes it better? Why I am "SP fanboy"? Isn't because they make great equipment and have been doing it for 60 years?

Yes, that's a great way to judge, hold it in your hand as if you are holding a vegetable in the vegetable market and judge it.
When I promote Apeks, I do it with caveat that that is what I dive and what I know, I never say it's the best. You do.
Yeah, it ain't rocket science. I don't need to have 100 dives with BCD to be able to see it's features.
Since you have more experience, would you share what exactly is that puts Hydros pro over BPW? And by that I mean exact points, not general "it's modular". I would like to know what Hydros pro has/can be upgraded with that BPW can't? Except the price.

First of all, welcome to diving and welcome to Scubaboard. In spite of the forum's time - honoured tradition to fervently quarrel on the most trivial matters, you can actually find valuable information here.
My 2 cents and a question: What are your future plans on diving? Technical diving? Warm-water, vacation diving? Cave diving, maybe? As you have not answered, perhaps you don't know yet. It' s ok. Most of us didn't know what kind of dives would be our favorite when we began diving. So, I suggest not to buy anything yet. Instead, invest your money in training, and dive as much as possible! Perhaps you should consider having some dives with a dedicated instuctor, so you can enhance your diving skills. Some people in this forum may suggest GUE fundamentals, as a consistent, standardized way to become a better diver. After some dives and a bit of reading, you will have a better overall picture on your future options. Until then do not buy anything, except maybe the most rudimentary equipment. A cheap dive computer(with nitrox capability and user-replaceable battery) and maybe a backplate and wing are sound, versatile choices that IMHO will accompany you a long way in this trip.

I will disagree with the opinion of one of the previous posters to a degree. I have had a few Oceanic hose mount Pro Plus Series Dive computers, and I really did like them. They have large, easy to read displays that are logically laid out and for a diver who dives a single gas on any given dive they are very good dive computers.

They are not, as your dive shop apparently tried to tell you an SPG. Yes, you will get the tank's pressure but they are a legitimate dive computer on their own. Note however that if you do opt for a PP4, Oceanic DCs have typically run a different algorithm than Shearwater DCs so while your NDLs will be close, the two DCs will likely give you different values.

Notwithstanding my opinion that the ProPlus Series of DCs provide a good option, I have recently made the transition to Shearwater.

If you are looking for and SPG, then my recommendation would be to get an SPG. If you want a back up DC, then get a back up DC. Do not, however let somebody at your local dive shop sell you a (relatively) full featured Air Integrated DC and tell you that it is an SPG.

Perspective of a fellow newb....

Just finished my confined water portion of my OW cert and have to wait for my open water dives until May (I live in the frozen north of the USA and no current plans for warm water before then) and happen to have some end of year money I can allocate to this new hobby. I spent 2 hours at my LDS working with the owner (+30 years of experience and instructor trainer for SSI) going over what I was planning to do in the next 1-5 years (just rec diving...maybe some wreck diving in Lake MI. No cave or super deep/technical stuff.) and what I didn't like about the rental gear I used during the confined water portion of the class.

I went with what he recommended and services at his shop. (He was willing to sell me whatever I wanted...he had backplates/wings/etc if I wanted them...no high pressure selling). He also offered me unlimited saturday pool time until May to practice.

- Axium i3 BCD (yes yes...I know...flame war imminent)
- Aqualung Legend Reg and Octo
- Mares Genius Comp and transmitter (gave me a great discount on 5 dive demo unit or I would have gone Perdix 2 like you)
- 5mm Boots/Gloves
- 7mm Bare reactive wetsuit and hood
- Avanti Quattro fins
- Mares i3 Mask
- XS Passage Snorkel

All in about $3,000 with the bulk of it going to the computer and wetsuit

Next purchase will probably be a drysuit after I have a bunch of dives under my belt and start looking to do some lake michigan wreck dives...maybe in 2024.

Perspective of a fellow newb....

Just finished my confined water portion of my OW cert and have to wait for my open water dives until May (I live in the frozen north of the USA and no current plans for warm water before then) and happen to have some end of year money I can allocate to this new hobby. I spent 2 hours at my LDS working with the owner (+30 years of experience and instructor trainer for SSI) going over what I was planning to do in the next 1-5 years (just rec diving...maybe some wreck diving in Lake MI. No cave or super deep/technical stuff.) and what I didn't like about the rental gear I used during the confined water portion of the class.

I went with what he recommended and services at his shop. (He was willing to sell me whatever I wanted...he had backplates/wings/etc if I wanted them...no high pressure selling). He also offered me unlimited saturday pool time until May to practice.

- Axium i3 BCD (yes yes...I know...flame war imminent)
I have one, but only for the purposes of teaching rescue diving courses. I try to cover any piece of equipment that students may come across
- Aqualung Legend Reg and Octo
Not familiar but Aqualung makes good gear.
- Mares Genius Comp and transmitter (gave me a great discount on 5 dive demo unit or I would have gone Perdix 2 like you)
At least it has Buhlmann ZHL-16c as an algorithm
- 5mm Boots/Gloves
- 7mm Bare reactive wetsuit and hood
You are more cold tolerant than me!
- Avanti Quattro fins
Good fins
- Mares i3 Mask
As long as it fits
- XS Passage Snorkel
Don't need.
All in about $3,000 with the bulk of it going to the computer and wetsuit

Next purchase will probably be a drysuit after I have a bunch of dives under my belt and start looking to do some lake michigan wreck dives...maybe in 2024.
I think you have a reasonable starter's setup. I only dislike your BCD selection.

Back
Top Bottom