Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was how I convinced myself my BCD and comp choice wasn’t the end of the world if I got wrong 😂😂
The reality is that the wrong BC could actually be the end of the world - for you anyway. Not going for the classic "you are going to die" , but on the other hand, some of these choices DO have life or death consequences - if/when a serious problem happens at the wrong time.

Those BC's scare the heck out of me and I also worry that they are so unusual, that a lot of potential rescuers would not know how to work it.

The reality is that the wrong BC could actually be the end of the world - for you anyway. Not going for the classic "you are going to die" , but on the other hand, some of these choices DO have life or death consequences - if/when a serious problem happens at the wrong time.

Those BC's scare the heck out of me and I also worry that they are so unusual, that a lot of potential rescuers would not know how to work it.
Keep in mind, this thread is for a beginner diver, and such statements may be accurate, but confusing or misleading without context that some of us more experienced divers would understand.

This shouldn't be an issue with the vast majority of BCDs, especially if bought new. There are also ways to deal with that kind of problem as well.

Split fins? :wink:

Agreed

I agree it is more efficient. However, I find a motorcycle hand mirror super useful for keeping track of my buddies behind me, swimming on my back towards a target, and also checking myself out as I always look so good! (kidding)

You're a zealot (kidding). Hey, it makes absolute sense for that.

It is a rare exception to see people swimming face down when shore diving around here. A few dive sites (like Edmonds Underwater Park) have long surface swims, but most don't as it is a good way to get run over by a boat.

Understood

It is useful for snorkeling! :wink: In all seriousness, when diving OC, I have a collapsible one in a pocket.

In most places, I would say they don't need it. However, it isn't a bad thing to have for an emergency. Case in point. If I were left at sea and I had to swim to land, I sure as Hell woudln't want to swim on my back, but on my stomach. But 99% of the time I don't need one. But there are scenarios where one is absolutely useful. I think it is because snorkels are rammed down our throats as must haves that there is this reaction. As I could easily teach open water to students without one. However, given that on rare occasion they would benefit from them, I would be shortchanging them if I didn't teach them how to use them properly.

Some instructors will do the minimum of have them use a snorkel on their first open water dive and then get rid of them. I disagree with that. I think they should be taught to remove their snorkel, store it, dive, on ascent restore it.
Very sensible, thank you.

... I find a motorcycle hand mirror super useful for keeping track of my buddies behind me, swimming on my back towards a target, and also checking myself out as I always look so good! (kidding)
I recently started using one of these mirrors too, really useful.

It and the snorkel were fighting for space on the left side of my neck/shoulder. I intend to chuck the snorkel as soon as I do my certs…but it’s required during class so I’m in a catch-22.
This is not the inflator causing a problem. I bet they sold you one of those dry or semi-dry snorkels with the flexible tube attached to the mouthpiece. Rather than a simple 12 to 15 dollar j tube style. If that's the case, they again ripped you off and talked you into buying a piece of crap.
I made a point to actively discourage my students from buying anything but the 12 dollar j tube ones. In my opinion the most commonly sold snorkels new divers buy are dangerous.

What is it about those specific items that made you choose them? It sounds like you are going out of your way to find the most expensive components you can find.

^^THIS - there is no way a brand new diver needs to spend this much on gear.

Wow! Just wow! Holy crap!
My recommendation is not to go back into that dive shop until you’ve calmed down and do a little more reading here on Scubaboard…or ever go back into that dive shop!
I was actually starting to get sick to my stomach reading some of those prices they were quoting you, then using the “longevity” and “life support” equipment line. Did they also tell you the “you’re gonna die” line unless you spend that kind of cash?
No wonder scuba is dying.
Ok, my rant is over.

Scuba is probably one of the biggest sports that people can overspend for gear that really makes little difference.
There’s a big perpetual debate here about jacket BC’ vs BP/W, and it’s not likely to go away any time soon.
I’m in the Back Plate & Wing camp myself. I do believe that BP/W will someday out sell jackets just because they work so well, they are simpler, cheaper, more durable, they’re modular meaning you can change out individual components unlike jackets. They’re highly adjustable, and more versatile - from basic recreational single tank diving up to the most complex extreme tech dives with doubles and stage bottles. Did I miss anything?
DGX has a BP/W package for somewhere around $399.

For regs, I’m a Scubapro fan myself.
No other reason then that’s what I bought new when I started and I continue to collect old classic scubapro regs and love everything about them, but that’s me. BTW, I got made fun of too by my buddies for spending money on a MK20/G200B and an Air2 back in the day, but I don’t regret one bit of it, except for the Air2 - got rid of that thing about 6 mo later.
If you want to spend a lot of money on regs, that would be one place to spend it. You can’t go wrong with Atomic. Regs are something that should be a lifetime buy.
But BC’s no, IMO there’s cheap crap and there’s expensive crap, but it’s all crap. Chinese Crap!
Don’t let a high price tag fool you.

Computers are something I know very little about.
I have just a cheapy Mares Puck wrist computer that was $159. I don’t do big extreme dives so it serves me fine. Before that I just used tables that were included in my OW, so for many years I didn’t see a need to spend money on a computer for the simple shore dives I was doing. I got away with a simple $50 dive watch and a $70 depth gauge for the first 15 years of my diving life just using tables.
But I hear Shearwaters are the bomb!
Honestly, this is why I like doing my research before making purchases like this. I love options and listening to everyone ideas/suggestions. You know, before I purchased anything, all I would here is "Support your own dive shop." At the same time, I actually had one person tell me that after they spend so much on equipment, they felt like they bought an expensive car and didnt have enough to put gas in it hehe.

Im learning now that a lot of brands stand behind their products and 99.9% of the time, they will last you a long time if you take good care of it.

You know, before I purchased anything, all I would here is "Support your own dive shop."
It's a racket of sorts. The the dive-training-agencies support the dive-shops, which then support the dive-training agencies. That's why you hear that line repeated over and over in a lot of dive training materials. Same goes for that annual VIP tank inspection that costs $20, it's effectively a scam.

Obviously, someone in the local area needs to fill scuba-tanks, but a dive-shop is a business. Maybe they're run by good and noble people, nor maybe they're run by lazy slobs or scam-artists. There's nothing inherit about it being local which makes them deserve your business.

If I could get air-fills from some of these reputable online dive-gear companies, I probably would. Without getting too off-topic, I've had some bad experiences with one specific local dive-shop, which happens to be the closest location to where I usually dive.

Honestly, this is why I like doing my research before making purchases like this. I love options and listening to everyone ideas/suggestions. You know, before I purchased anything, all I would here is "Support your own dive shop." At the same time, I actually had one person tell me that after they spend so much on equipment, they felt like they bought an expensive car and didnt have enough to put gas in it hehe.

Im learning now that a lot of brands stand behind their products and 99.9% of the time, they will last you a long time if you take good care of it.
One thing I would avoid is buying off brand or internet only brand regulators. Even though some seem like a screaming deal and I’m sure they work fine and all, but who knows if they will be around in 10 or 20 years? They are attractive for people who need 8-10 reg sets for tech diving perhaps and want to do self service. Many of those companies will sell parts to the end user.
Scubapro and Aqualung, the two biggest companies have been around since the beginning, well AL has at least but Scubapro is not far behind. SP was very innovative and always were a leader in the industry. They are probably the most copied company around.
Atomic was formed by two guys that left Scubapro to start their own business so they are cutting edge too since they were SP’s top designers.
One reason to pick a tried and trued reg company is for parts and service and insurance that they will ne around for a long time.
There were a few companies that were considered pretty standard, maybe not the top, but they were mid range competitors and they dried up. Dacor and Aeris are a few that come to mind. We’ll be seeing more of those types dry up in the future I’m sure.

Arguments about jacket BC’s vs BP/W is really pretty benign. They all work.
All we’re saying is do your homework
I mentioned I like BP/W just because if it’s simplicity, modularity, and ruggedness.
Bc systems are not really something that needs a lot of maintenance if you rinse them good and take care if them. I have a wing that I’ve been using coming up on twenty years and it’s still working fine. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
However, Cheap jacket BC’s can be a waste if money because some of them fall apart, stitching comes undone, the air bladder can start to leak, weight pockets can wear out, buckles and velcro wear out and don’t work well anymore. People start losing pouches that are propietary so their expensive to replace and in some cases unavailable because they stopped making that model, etc. Being they are a non modular, a completely sewn together assembled unit they are more throw away than repairable.

Bc systems are not really something that needs a lot of maintenance if you rinse them good and take care if them. I have a wing that I’ve been using coming up on twenty years and it’s still working fine. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Been doing DMC work at my local shop. I normally dive a BP/W but wanted to pickup a jacket BC that was in line with what the students were using. The owner of the shop mentioned looking at selling off some of their rental BCs, Scubapro Glides, and refreshing them with newer ones. Problem is, they just can't justify selling off those BCs as they hold up to everything students can do to them and come back for more. It's the kind of BC you can storm the gates of hell with and then go back again because someone lost their keys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom