Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im new to Scuba Diving and just got my open water. As most of you know Scuba gear could be super expensive as Ive already spent a lot on mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuite, and boots

Although I may have taken a few shortcuts on a few items (e.g., SMB, Finger reels, Bolt snaps, Mesh backpack for gear, Equipment bags, etc..),
there are some areas that I dont mind spending a little extra.
Was hoping you pros could tell me your honest opinion on what you think as my first major items on my purchase list and if you would do anything different:

Items are in order on how plan to purchase them (Order might change if I find good deals on them) especially around the holidays).
If anyone has any items they are interested in selling, feel free to shoot me a DM. Doesnt hurt to ask :)

Dive Computer:
-Shearwater Perdix 2 Ti ($1400+) (Like the idea of being able to replace my own battery unlike the Teric model)
-Shearwater Swift AI Transmitter ($400)

Regulator:
-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)
-Atomic Ocotopus Z2 -or- Ti2 ($250 - $400)
-Oceanic Proplus 4.0 (Non-wireless Backup SPG, just incase dive computer ever fails) ($750)
-Atomic AI Inflator Titanium ($300, might purchase open box to save some)

BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600
-Atomic BC1 (seems a little bulky so leaning more towards the BC2)
-Atomic BC2

Other:
-Eventually would like to purchase spring straps for fins. Those are currently priced at about $75
-Cutting tools and gloves as I plan to start a group doing ocean cleanups

Wow! I am seriously impressed. If my math is correct that totals USD $ 6,925 for a basic recreational single tank setup.

Even if money was no option I really did not think you actually spend that much money on a single tank setup. Really if money was no option I would still go with Apeks DST with XTX50's ~$600 and BP/W with some kind of small wing like the Tecline doughnut 10 or Apeks 18 ~$400-$500: total cost $1,100. And that is on the expensive money is not option side, if your on a budget you could easily pick up used gear for much less.

Heck, for $6,925 you could pick up a rebreather. I just sold one of my JJ's for less than that.

Can't imagine what your rebreather budget will be once you get into CC diving. Keep us posted on your expense list for that, would be very curious to see it.

Yeah, but you're a SP fanboy, so....
I have not dived Hydros pro, but have held it and I really can't see any feture it has that can't be replicated in BPW for

I have not dived Hydros pro, but have held it and I really can't see any feture it has that can't be replicated in BPW for less money.

I have not dived Hydros pro, but have held it and I really can't see any feture it has that can't be replicated in BPW for less money.
I also use my Hydros more than my BP/W. Its a really nice rig IMHO. I like it. That's all that matters when it comes down to it.

I also use my Hydros more than my BP/W. Its a really nice rig IMHO. I like it. That's all that matters when it comes down to it.
I agree with you. In the end, you take whatever you like. And I don't have a problem with that.
Post you quoted is not because Boltsnap likes his Hydros, but because he constantly downgrades anything that isn't made by SP.
Like I said, whatever Hydros has to offer can be found at lower price, whether that is another brand BCD or BPW setup is irelevant here.

Post you quoted is not because Boltsnap likes his Hydros, but because he constantly downgrades anything that isn't made by SP.

I see it the other way around, you seem to attack anything that has anything to do with SP. I use other equipment from other vendors, SP isn't the only line I like. SP does make great equipment but not everything they make is better than other brands. There are other products from other brands that are terrible and I have used several brands/model. I have been using products from Hollis, Zeagle, Oceanic, Finnsub and other brands and I find that they are good. I have tried products from other Italian and French brands that are household names and their QA is very questionable at best. I have the opportunity to use and test MANY models from MANY brands during the course of the year in addition to my running a dive school and owning a dive center since 1994 and getting to try many brands and many models. I tend to gravitate to SP (and Atomic) because of their consistency in quality, innovation, product support and many other factors.

What is interesting here is that there are several others here that attack SP constantly and defend one single small vendor but you don't notice that at all. You seem to be the person who just thrives on attacking the leader just because you need to and attack the ones that disagree with you and call them names to discredit them and dismiss their opinion since you can't come up with a valid argument to counter what they say.

You call me a "fanboy" and I call you a "contrarian" for fun.

One other issue for you to consider, SP is consistently the most popular and most sought after brand in the dive business worldwide. I am not the only "fanboy" out there, the majority of the world is actually.

Like I said, whatever Hydros has to offer can be found at lower price,
It will be very difficult to do that with lower cost. The Hydros has all of the bells and whistles in addition to comfort and quality. To reach this level with other brands, you will need to spend a lot more and you won't reach what the Hydros Pro has to offer. Now you may think there are better BC's for you, that's OK, we won't all agree on a single product or model or have the exact same opinion on things, if we did, it would be a very boring world.

You seem to be the person who just thrives on attacking the leader just because you need to and attack the ones that disagree with you and call them names to discredit them and dismiss their opinion since you can't come up with a valid argument to counter what they say.
Strange, I can't find where I attack people and call them names that say that Ultima is better dryglove system than Rolock. Or for that matter, drysuit type/vendor, fins, masks and, yes, regulators.
Oh, yeah, let's not forget P-valves. I can't recall attacking someone that said Light Monkey Tinkle valve is better than Sitech Trigon.
And, again, I am not "attacking" you because you are using Scubapro gear, not even because you are promoting it, but because you constantly claim it's the best.
It will be very difficult to do that with lower cost. The Hydros has all of the bells and whistles in addition to comfort and quality. To reach this level with other brands, you will need to spend a lot more and you won't reach what the Hydros Pro has to offer. Now you may think there are better BC's for you, that's OK, we won't all agree on a single product or model or have the exact same opinion on things, if we did, it would be a very boring world.
I am still waiting on your reply on what Hydros does have that can't be done with BPW?
And like I said, don't give me bells and whistles, I want specifics.

I agree with you on your last sentence. End of the world as we know it must be near!

Im new to Scuba Diving and just got my open water. As most of you know Scuba gear could be super expensive as Ive already spent a lot on mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuite, and boots

Although I may have taken a few shortcuts on a few items (e.g., SMB, Finger reels, Bolt snaps, Mesh backpack for gear, Equipment bags, etc..),
there are some areas that I dont mind spending a little extra.
Was hoping you pros could tell me your honest opinion on what you think as my first major items on my purchase list and if you would do anything different:

Items are in order on how plan to purchase them (Order might change if I find good deals on them) especially around the holidays).
If anyone has any items they are interested in selling, feel free to shoot me a DM. Doesnt hurt to ask :)

Dive Computer:
-Shearwater Perdix 2 Ti ($1400+) (Like the idea of being able to replace my own battery unlike the Teric model)
-Shearwater Swift AI Transmitter ($400)

Regulator:
-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)
-Atomic Ocotopus Z2 -or- Ti2 ($250 - $400)
-Oceanic Proplus 4.0 (Non-wireless Backup SPG, just incase dive computer ever fails) ($750)
-Atomic AI Inflator Titanium ($300, might purchase open box to save some)

BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600
-Atomic BC1 (seems a little bulky so leaning more towards the BC2)
-Atomic BC2

Other:
-Eventually would like to purchase spring straps for fins. Those are currently priced at about $75
-Cutting tools and gloves as I plan to start a group doing ocean cleanups
I could buy 3 quality set ups for the total of this one set up…these prices are insane.

DGX Bpw setup $400-$425 ish

Diverite reg set $670

Used perdix ai + transmitter $900 ish

Total about $2k…..

I agree with you on your last sentence. End of the world as we know it must be near!
Be positive my friend, think of it as a start of a great new year 🤠

I wish you a very happy, prosperous and healthy new year with lots of awesome diving with your family, loved ones and friends.

I dont care what brand anyone else dives. If they like it that's a good thing. Personally I don't lose any sleep over it. There is a bazillion different companies in diving. Some are expensive and some are cheaper. If you like Scuba Pro that's good. Many divers do. If you like Aqualung, Zeagle, Atomic, Apex on and on and on........good. Many divers do. It's great we have so much to chose from. My reasoning for buying my gear is different than yours.......good. If we all had the same ideas diving would never grow. Ignore the haters.

I dont care what brand anyone else dives. If they like it that's a good thing. Personally I don't lose any sleep over it. There is a bazillion different companies in diving. Some are expensive and some are cheaper. If you like Scuba Pro that's good. Many divers do. If you like Aqualung, Zeagle, Atomic, Apex on and on and on........good. Many divers do. It's great we have so much to chose from. My reasoning for buying my gear is different than yours.......good. If we all had the same ideas diving would never grow. Ignore the haters.
The reality is most people are happy with their gear because most gear works.

I'm about to set up two manifolded tanks with only one first stage
Which side should I choose, to be best, for the only one first stage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom