Help me choose a new BC please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers:
My current BC (an Aeris Atmos Sport) served its function, which was to get me in a weight integated jacket cheap. The problem with it is that it orients me vertically in the water all the time. The second I stop, I am upright. Of course, when you're trying to avoid silting up the bottom this is a serious PITA. I'm sick of looking stupid trying to scull myself into a horizontal position before I use my fins.

A lot of my diving is done in caverns, sinks, springs, etc. Which is why it's such a PITA when I am not horizontal. I am seriously entertaining the idea of getting cavern certified and then maybe work my way towards cave. I want my new BCD to be able to support this endeavour.

I think I want a BP/W setup. Forgive me if my questions seem stupid, but I haven't had any experience with BP/Ws.

1) Can a doubles wing and BP handle a single tank if I don't want to dive doubles on a particular occasion?

2) They don't seem to have any way to integrate weights. I truly despise wearing a weight belt. Is there a way to use a BP/W without having weights digging into my thighs?

3) What do you think of this? Seems like a pretty rad deal: http://golemgear.com/pc-219-2-oxycheq-50-wing-ss-combo.aspx

4) What are the opinions of ScubaL wings?

5) Doesn't that BP hurt the back?

6) Are double AL-80s ever used or do they become too positively bouyant? I have only AL-80 tanks right now and would want to use them as doubles at least for awhile.

1. No

2. Yes

3. Killer deal!

4. Sucks!

5. No

Dive Right In Scuba:
Nothing against BPW, I love them, but if you want the weight integration, have you thought about a back inflate BC with trim weights in the back and Dumpable weightsin the front? Just a thought......

Hers a link http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=314

I have thought about it... my friend uses a rear inflate and it seems pretty good. But if I go forward with my plans to get cavern/cave certified, I might as well get the setup that can grow with me, which seems to be BP/W.

Stephen Ash:
1. No

2. Yes

3. Killer deal!

4. Sucks!

5. No

Now that's a direct answer if ever I heard one - lol - I loved it.

Crazy Fingers- Stephen is right on that deal - it's one of the top brands around (I'd put it somewhere in my top 3 personally)

Crazy Fingers:
I have thought about it... my friend uses a rear inflate and it seems pretty good. But if I go forward with my plans to get cavern/cave certified, I might as well get the setup that can grow with me, which seems to be BP/W.

It all depends on what you want to do in the cave diving. I have done some Cave Diving and my backinflate is perfect for that, but on some other trails and caves, when I need more gadgetry, tanks, etc...the BPW can be better......Just evaluate how far into you want to go and no matter what HAVE FUN....dont lose sight of the main reason your diving.....HAVE FUN:14: Goodluck with your search

That oxycheq deal is terrific, for doubles only, though. For singles you'd want an STA and a set of cam bands which will add $75-$100 to the price, and really you'd be much better off with a single wing; why not get an oxycheq or a DSS single wing. If you can afford it all, you'll have a very nice set up for singles and doubles in the $600 range, which really isn't bad.

Weighting is a whole different topic, but the short answer is that you probably don't need a belt. Depends on how much weight you need in a given situation, and how much you're willing to spend for weight pockets, harness (if needed) etc. With my SS plate and a single AL80, I never need more than 3 lbs, so it just goes in a small pocket on my waist belt. There are alot of options if you need more weight.

Oh yeah, a brief edit: assuming you're just getting into doubles and cave diving, you can get good help about gear selection from your tech instructor; you do have one, right?

mattboy:
Oh yeah, a brief edit: assuming you're just getting into doubles and cave diving, you can get good help about gear selection from your tech instructor; you do have one, right?

Instructor? I just read a few books... I'm not even certified.

Hah, just kidding. No, I don't have a tech instructor. Probably should have gotten one before I bought that setup and some integrated weight pouches for it. Which are going to be shipped on Monday... As it is now, just diving "OW Caverns" is so much of a PITA with my current BC that I have got to get something, even if I dive this rig as an OW diver for a few months. Actually, this will really come in handy for spearing and lobstering, as I find that I end up hoovering so much when chasing/fighting game that I will run out of air before I run out of NDL. Especially on nitrox.

Now I just have to rig up a DIY STA. I think I can manage it... I have access to a machine shop. Although my skills leave a bit to be desired. :wink:

Thanks for all your help!

Crazy Fingers:
Now I just have to rig up a DIY STA. I think I can manage it... I have access to a machine shop. Although my skills leave a bit to be desired. :wink:

I'm confused... What did you get?

Stephen Ash:
I'm confused... What did you get?

Maybe it is I who am confused! I bought the Oxycheq doubles rig from Golem Gear. The rig is for doubles, but can a single tank not be mated using an adapter plate which will hold the wing down and keep it from "tacoing" over the tank? This is a STA right? At least I think I could rig this up... basically it takes the radius of a single tank and doubles it. The downside I see is that the wing will be extra wide and have more drag than a singles wing would. At least I hope I can rig something like this up, since I spent my Christmas bonus already and can't afford a singles wing too. :)

Am I confused?

Here's a really crappy drawing of what I'm thinking of:

Crazy Fingers:
Maybe it is I who am confused! I bought the Oxycheq doubles rig from Golem Gear. The rig is for doubles, but can a single tank not be mated using a special adapter plate which will hold the wing down and keep it from "tacoing" over the tank? This is a STA right? At least I think I could rig this up. The downside I see is that the wing will be extra wide and have more drag than a singles wing would. At least I hope I can rig something like this up, since I spent my Christmas bonus already and can't afford a singles wing too. :)

Am I confused?

You are. What STA (single tank adapter) does is provide a set of bolts at 11 inch centers projecting from the side of a single cylinder. This in effect makes a single tank "look" like a set of doubles, which have bolts at 11" centers, but only in terms of mounting.

A STA does nothing to make a single tank as wide as a set of doubles. A doubles wing on a single tank is going to be very difficult to vent when in horizontal trim, due to the "Taco" effect. The capacity is not helping you either, 50 lbs is lot for any single set up. This added capacity makes the wing even wider, increasing the toco effect.

If you plan to dive singles, do yourself a favor and spend some of your "savings" and buy a single wing.

Tobin

Crazy Fingers:
Am I confused?

Yep. Sorry.

An STA just allows a plate to be mated to a single tank... ie. "Single Tank Adapter". It has not NADA to do with the wing.

You need to get a singles wing... or just start using your twin 80's.

You still got a SCREAMIN' deal!

Back
Top Bottom