Help! I can't play a DVD on my new laptop. How can I make that happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
I am able to play regular DVD's on my laptop with no issue. I purchased some training DVD's for my business and would like to be able to play them on my laptop.

I have the latest versions of Real Player and Windows Media Player on my laptop. Neither one will play the DVD's. I can get them to play on my TV using a regular DVD player.

If I go to computer, then dvd, then properties it says IDVD_ONESTEP_DVD as well as the file system is UDF

What player can I download for free I hope that will enable me to play these?

My laptop is a Dell Studio 64 bit system running Windows 7

How can I play them on my laptop?

Thanks for the help.

Post deleted. I misread your problem. I just saw that UDF files can be problematic.

That's great. I was about to tell you it wouldn't work. :D

After I wrote my post I saw that UDF is an old (several years) format that was supported in Windows XP but there are a lot of people on other forums with problems similar to yours when trying to read the disks on a 64 bit operating system like Windows 7.
Especially if the disks were recorded with any sort of compression.

The suggestions I saw in various forums are to try recovery programs, such as cdroller (CDRoller - Data Recovery from CD, DVD, Blu-Ray discs (BD/HD-DVD) and flash cards) or ISOBuster (CD Recovery | CD DVD Data Rescue software, featuring BD HD DVD) but the consensus seems to be that it would be better to read them on an older machine and then transfer the files.

While I have you here, I have another question. Sometimes when I watch embeded clips or youtube the picture is all crazy. The audio is fine. I am browsing most of the time in firefox. I need to check it out to see of the same clip is crazy in Explorer. Any thoughts?

What browser do you think is best from a security standpoint?

OK when I go to exit the program it tells me my trial version expires in 30 days. Uggg! At least ti buys me some time until I can figure out a solution.

Last edited:
I already had the latest version of Flash.

VLAN won't play it.

PowerDVD will play it version 7, but it expires in 30 days and I am not inclined to want to pay $80 for a player after I just spend $350 on the DVD's. I am a bit frustrated. At least for the next 30 days I can watch them on my laptop, but I will need them longer than that and would like to find a permanent solution as well as one that I can use on the go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom