Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but you have to write really, really small to get 10 or 20 movie titles on a USB stick :wink:
Other way around. DVD capacity is 4.7Gb. I wouldn't buy a USB with less than 128Gb and you can get 1Tb now. You can fit your entire DVD collection on one USB stick.

So, are you saying that if I get a new Smart TV and put the GoPro files on a USB stick they should play back smoothly? Maybe Walmart Spark will send me one to review :) The TV we have isn't very smart--there isn't a USB port and the stuff like VUDU and Netflix are all on the Blu-Ray player. We don't even have YouTube unless we hook up the laptop.
I didn't say that at all. I don't even know that the video is transcoded properly.

I suppose a SSD could be used to store all of my movies in alphabetical order. I guess I'd better get busy. Kinda like the proverbial egg basket though. I have enough movies to last me the rest of my life plus one good thing about getting old--if I watched a movie over 3 months ago it's just like watching a new movie!

I printed out the System Summary for the laptop with 8GB RAM but it doesn't say what kind of storage it has, but the processor is: Intel Core i5-62000 2.3 GHZ, 24000 Mhz, 2 Core, 4 logical processors. That looks like the "i7" you mentioned only it's two models earlier. From what I understand so far it sounds like this one isn't good enough. I'll look at the Apple when I get the chance. I know it cost a lot of money and isn't very old so maybe it's up to snuff.
The Passmark rating for the cpu is 3000. That is not very fast. The one in my current laptop is 6500. But I don't think this is the problem. That cpu would have been decent a few years ago and people were playing videos smoothly then.

Nobody mentioned the GoPro MAX Exporter for Windows 10 yet so maybe there's still a possibility without buying a whole bunch of new electronics. I'll try to get ahold of that laptop again in a couple of days and see what happens.

See comments in purple. What are you using to play back? Try VLC.

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN

Try the VLC media player. Free and I've had good results with it.

Hey, thanks! I think I tried that already but I can't find it on my computer anywhere. Maybe it's on my old laptop. As I recall, it played back the video files but there was no way to make them into a movie and watch them on my TV. Does that sound right? Anyway, I just downloaded it so I'll see what happens :)

Use the latest version of VLC. Pretty sure it can create a dvd. But time to give up on yesteryear technology.

What is recommended when buying a new computer that might be able to process the most amount of GoPro8 video?

I use Windows Video Editor 2020 and only shoot in 4K. I don't have any issues with the video jumping on my old laptop with Windows 10 and 16GB of RAM..

I'd have to look it up, but I think it's around 70 minutes. You have to turn off features like GPS and WiFi to make it last that long.

I'd have to look it up, but I think it's around 70 minutes. You have to turn off features like GPS and WiFi to make it last that long.

I expected you to say something more like 20-30 minutes. Wow. I don't suppose WiFi has a lot of uses underwater anyway.

Is one of those many files that the Hero8 produces the GPS data?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom