Help! I can't play a DVD on my new laptop. How can I make that happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I sent an email to the company that I purchased the DVD's from. They said others have had the same issue and that I need to go to control panel and uninstall Windows Media Player. Then go to Microsoft and reinstall the newest player.

Well when I go to control panel to uninstall the Window Player, it is not there. I installed the new one and it also doesn't show up on the list under programs / uninstall.

Thoughts on where it might be hiding? Window Media Player is under the start menu programs from the home page and I can play other stuff from it.

I tried the players listed CD and either my virus program didn't like them and wouldn't permit a download or they did not work.

It's not that easy esp. given:
I am just barely computer literate.

There is a way to do it by stopping certain services and editing the Registry. Not something that you probably should try. I've got decades of experience with PC's (former ASU Network Mgr.) and I don't even like Registry hacking unless I have to.

And I really DON'T think that's your problem.

I'd check with the company again first as you already have Windows Media Player 12 installed - it was part of the Windows 7 installation. AFAIK there hasn't been an upgrade to it yet. So they may have assumed you have an older version of Windows. (everybody blames Microsoft..)

Just the fact that they told you to uninstall it from the control panel makes that advice suspect as anyone familiar with Windows should know that's not possible to do so from there - as you've also discovered.

You probably received a response from some tech support "guru" :shakehead: who is reading it off a prepared script.

I wouldn't start hacking my W7 install unless they provide detailed instructions on what to do.

If you really want to try it, contact your computer mfr's tech support and have them do it remotely via Windows Remote Assistance - they can do it over the Internet if you let them access your computer temporarily.

I will contact the mfg again. I am not overly happy at the moment with them.

I tried the procedure here after doing some googling How To Uninstall Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7?

After doing that I can still play other music cd's and other dvd's but the ones giving me fits still won't play.

Power DVD that mike told me about above version 7 is the only way I have been able to get them to play on the computer. Which tells me that my drive can in fact read them given the proper software. That also tells me the content is on them and playable in some fashion.

I really don't want to spend $50 bucks to buy software that I really don't need for any other purpose. And I hate my TV. It is one of the old style tv's and I never watch it. Diving cured me of watching TV! LOL when I started diving, I started reading a lot about it and then onto other things and somewhere along the way my tv habit died for the most part. I think checking the dvd's last night was the first time it has been on in probably a year and a half.

That's pretty much the procedure I was going to suggest.

I've been googling around - there doesn't seem to be much standard UDF support.

Evidently some version of VLC has been used to play these files. So maybe it's a codec issue.

Try installing these codecs - Codecs.com :: Download K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit 4.1.0 : K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit is a bundle of 64-bit DirectShow filters - they're safe to d/l install, I have the 32 bit version from the same location installed right now.

Probably need to restart your machine also.

If there's a checkbox for Windows Media Classic player during the install - de-select it - it may mess with WM 12.

The other thing I found is that apparently the free Divx Plus player might be able to play them also. DivX ? Download DivX software (play AVI/MKV), play DivX video | DivX.com

That's about all I know...

if you have w7 pro/ultimate you can install a winxp virtual box for free from windows with simple complete instructions offered on their website.

probaby more than you want to go through to accomplish that.

easiest thing is probably to make an img file with imgburn or poweriso and convert to a different format for future use

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom