Heck Yeah, Jetfins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swam the Jetfins for over an hour again today. To my delight the foot pockets have become quite comfortable... apparently they break in like a good pair of leather boots, for me on around hour four of swimming—so if you only tried them a short while, give ‘em a workout several times!

I got rid of the original straps and replaced them with those heavy black rubber bungees they use for strapping down ladders and things on lumber racks. I use the 12” short ones and I make stainless “C” clips from 1/8” rod stock. I remove the galvanized hooks from the straps and replace them with my home made clips. Then I put the clips through the bungee holes and squeeze the ends of the clips into the holes in the fins with a pair of channel locks. Works better than spring straps, cheap too.
I don't suppose I could coerce a picture from you??????? I think I know how you did this but would like to try this and see how it works for me. Thanks!

I was diving Coz. with a tiny female DM who had just received her new white jets.
She was very impressed with the power and contol they gave her.
Thinking back, she was in a 7mm with vest so she probably appreciated their weight.
You don’t really need that much weight with wetsuits IMO, even though I certainly prefer it to floaty fins, it’s more to keep your feet under you in a Drysuit

@Magnus Lundstedt
The jets is just imitations of the rockets ;-)

@EireDiver606
The jets are improvements on the rockets. The rockets were way too stiff to give momentum. Like trying to use a 2 x 4 to fin...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
The ":Jet Fins" were designed and were being produced several years before the US Divers "Rocket Fins" appeared in the market as a competitor.

sdm

Last edited:
@Magnus Lundstedt
The jets is just imitations of the rockets ;-)

@EireDiver606
The jets are improvements on the rockets. The rockets were way too stiff to give momentum. Like trying to use a 2 x 4 to fin...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
The ":Jet Fins" were designed and were being produced several years before the US Divers "Rocket Fins" appeared in the market as a competitor.

sdm

The ScubaPro Jet fins where imitations of the Beuchat Jetfins

Those Beuchat Jetfins look like they would have been a really interesting fin. They look longer and more slender than SP Jets and the full foot with a strap looks interesting as well.

It’s amazing to me how there was so much obscure yet innovative gear back then that got lost and buried by the forward marketing of other products, and not necessarily the best products at that.
So now in our current market, a new product or an idea comes out and is touted as a “breakthrough” concept, yet the idea came and went 60 years ago!

Those Beuchat Jetfins look like they would have been a really interesting fin. They look longer and more slender than SP Jets and the full foot with a strap looks interesting as well.

It’s amazing to me how there was so much obscure yet innovative gear back then that got lost and buried by the forward marketing of other products, and not necessarily the best products at that.
So now in our current market, a new product or an idea comes out and is touted as a “breakthrough” concept, yet the idea came and went 60 years ago!

I remember reading about how ScubaPro got the patent rights (or didn't get the patent rights) for the Beuchat fins but don't remember the details. Controversy and shenanigans may have been involved. Perhaps @Sam Miller III can shed some light here :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom