Heck Yeah, Jetfins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok I’ve been spending WAY too much time on scubaboard geeking on equipment I want but can’t afford—so today when I walked into my LDS I broke down and went for the “little black dress” of fins, the venerable and many storied Scuba Pro Jet Fin. Because I wanted them. Because that much black rubber is just hot. Because 50 years of Diving Gods can’t be wrong. And because since I lost my steel 72’s and am forced to dive rented AL80’s sometimes my trim is off.

I thought they might be too much, too heavy, and I’d heard the foot pockets sucked, but still I had to try. To the pool for a swim! At first yes my feet protested a bit, but they were snug enough and my feet got used to the feel. They were really heavy too, and they didn’t want to be rapidly fluttered like my swim fins. But something else was going on, and as my body adapted to it I began to groove on it: Momentum! Mass has momentum, and it was giving me that “glide”. I tried all my different kicks and it the jets could do them all, in their own way. Best of all was my beloved dolphin kick. I found the jets were so solid in the water I could pry my body off them forward into the undulation, and then the Jetfins followed thru with a powerful kick like a giant whale tale. It was so much fun I stayed in the water twice as long as my usual swim: a hour and a half instead of 45 minutes. It was a workout but it was great! Thanks for recommending them Scubaboard!

Ok I’ve been spending WAY too much time on scubaboard geeking on equipment I want but can’t afford—so today when I walked into my LDS I broke down and went for the “little black dress” of fins, the venerable and many storied Scuba Pro Jet Fin. Because I wanted them. Because that much black rubber is just hot. Because 50 years of Diving Gods can’t be wrong. And because since I lost my steel 72’s and am forced to dive rented AL80’s sometimes my trim is off.

I thought they might be too much, too heavy, and I’d heard the foot pockets sucked, but still I had to try. To the pool for a swim! At first yes my feet protested a bit, but they were snug enough and my feet got used to the feel. They were really heavy too, and they didn’t want to be rapidly fluttered like my swim fins. But something else was going on, and as my body adapted to it I began to groove on it: Momentum! Mass has momentum, and it was giving me that “glide”. I tried all my different kicks and it the jets could do them all, in their own way. Best of all was my beloved dolphin kick. I found the jets were so solid in the water I could pry my body off them forward into the undulation, and then the Jetfins followed thru with a powerful kick like a giant whale tale. It was so much fun I stayed in the water twice as long as my usual swim: a hour and a half instead of 45 minutes. It was a workout but it was great! Thanks for recommending them Scubaboard!

No muscle aches afterword or cramps while using them in the water?

No cramps but I did stop to stretch when I felt one Might start. And I was cramping in my plastic Tusa paddle fins. I was surprised I could swim in them so long and feel fine, but I did slow my flutter, however it was more powerful.

Looking forward to trying them with scuba, maybe I can finally learn to swim backwards

Thank you for getting BLACK
Now to really pop the black Jets, you'll need chrome, and a lot of it. Something like the 66 Scubapro 108 with the Mk5 or 109 with the Mk5. Or even more chrome with the Conshelf XIV but the ultimate is going to be the chrome Royal Aquamaster with shiny black silicone hoses.

Badass S.P.E.C.T.R.E combat diving rig right there. Don't forget the USMC Mk2 Fighting Knife strapped to your waistband.

how'd you lose your 72's ? (gasp)

Last edited:
One was stolen, the other was lost in a relationship breakup and move boo hoo

Yes, almost as sexy as black leather :wink:

You will (if you haven't already) discover that when you are just floating in front of a reef, motionless, that the slightest downward motion will "jet" you forward very gently for a closer look.

I suggest at least 5mm booties for comfort. I use 3mm fin socks a lot and glued some neoprene pads inside the foot pocket at the top so my toes don't get sore. I have big feet so the roominess is not an issue for me.

How did you lose your 72s?

Yep, there exists one solution to all fin problems. :snicker:

BwaHaHa!!!

You need a stiff, negative, short paddle? We got that. You want a stiff neutral fin, we got that too. You want a really good compromise, we got that. You want a knee-forgiving fin that fakes it pretty well, we got that. You want a funky revolutionary fin that buys your way into the forces against the empire, got that too.

Do you actually know what you want? And why is it the only reasonable choice for me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom