Heck Yeah, Jetfins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Magnus Lundstedt

"The ScubaPro Jet fins where imitations of the Beuchat Jetfins"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Eric Sedletzky
Those Beuchat Jetfins look like they would have been a really interesting fin. They look longer and more slender than SP Jets and the full foot with a strap looks interesting as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@JamesBon92007
I remember reading about how ScubaPro got the patent rights (or didn't get the patent rights) for the Beuchat fins but don't remember the details. Controversy and shenanigans may have been involved. Perhaps @Sam Miller III can shed some light here :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SDM

Last edited:
You don’t really need that much weight with wetsuits IMO, even though I certainly prefer it to floaty fins, it’s more to keep your feet under you in a Drysuit
Well I was having floaty feet in 7mil with an aluminum tank—maybe it’s a girl thing

Here's a little info about what I was referring to:

"The original Jet Fin was a full-foot fin, as shown on the patent # 3,183,529 filed March 16, 1964 and issued May 18th, 1965. I have a photo from Duilio Marcante's book, [I]This is Diving[/I] which also shows the original Beuchat Jet Fins being worn by a spearfisherman somewhere in Europe. They were full-foot, with a long blade and an open toe. This changed quickly, as the 1964 book by Cousteau, [I]World Without Sun[/I] showed the Jet Fins being worn by Cousteau divers as an open heel, adjustable strap fin."

Read more: [URL]http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/thread/670?page=1#ixzz59ULLu9l8[/URL]

That was posted by Sea Rat, August 15, 2006 (whom I consider another reliable source).

And there is this:

"Georges Beuchat, of Marseille, France, filed his original patent on April 25, 1962, and apparently produced the Jet fin in that time frame. His US Patent, #3,183,529 was granted May 18, 1965."

I don't know who originally posted that but your name was mentioned in the thread :)

[URL="http://forum.scubatoys.com/archive/index.php/t-5034.html"]Different Jet Fin Makers - What's the difference? [Archive] - Scuba Forum - Scuba Diving Forums and Discussion Board[/URL]

I don't doubt your information, I just remember reading about a squabble over the patent rights. None of these threads or blogs indicate their sources other than a reference to Dulio Marcante's book. Since Beuchat owned a patent then, from what I had read some time ago, ScubaPro acquired that patent from him. Or maybe they didn't and that's what the friction was about. I realize they ended up with the patent but just how they did is my question You stated that " Jet fins were not copies they were made by SCUBA Pro under US patent protection." By "not copies" do you mean according to Patent Laws they were different enough to obtain a patent? To me the appear close enough to the Beuchat fins that I would call them a copy. They even kept the same name.

"On one of his European trips in the 1960s, [ ScubaPro ] co-founder Gustav Dalla Valle purchased the rights to a funny looking French fin that had holes in the blades, called vents. The reaction of his partner, Dick Bonin: "That's the ugliest fin I've ever seen. We won't be able to give these things away." Gustav replied that they had better try selling some, because the order had already been placed. They were displayed at a trade show, and a few shops bought them out of curiosity. Soon calls starting coming in from dealers, asking for more. Up to that time nobody at Scubapro had even tested the product, but they quickly realized that the new Jet Fins were a big hit. The first vented fin and the first serious fin with adjustable heel straps, it spawned a generation of imitators."

[URL="http://www.sandiegodiving.com/education/items/13.html"]Weird Gear[/URL]

Here's a little info about what I was referring to:

"The original Jet Fin was a full-foot fin, as shown on the patent # 3,183,529 filed March 16, 1964 and issued May 18th, 1965. I have a photo from Duilio Marcante's book, [I]This is Diving[/I] which also shows the original Beuchat Jet Fins being worn by a spearfisherman somewhere in Europe. They were full-foot, with a long blade and an open toe. This changed quickly, as the 1964 book by Cousteau, [I]World Without Sun[/I] showed the Jet Fins being worn by Cousteau divers as an open heel, adjustable strap fin."

Read more: [URL]http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/thread/670?page=1#ixzz59ULLu9l8[/URL]

That was posted by Sea Rat, August 15, 2006 (whom I consider another reliable source).

And there is this:

"Georges Beuchat, of Marseille, France, filed his original patent on April 25, 1962, and apparently produced the Jet fin in that time frame. His US Patent, #3,183,529 was granted May 18, 1965."

I don't know who originally posted that but your name was mentioned in the thread :)

[URL='http://forum.scubatoys.com/archive/index.php/t-5034.html']Different Jet Fin Makers - What's the difference? [Archive] - Scuba Forum - Scuba Diving Forums and Discussion Board[/URL]

I don't doubt your information, I just remember reading about a squabble over the patent rights. None of these threads or blogs indicate their sources other than a reference to Dulio Marcante's book. Since Beuchat owned a patent then, from what I had read some time ago, ScubaPro acquired that patent from him. Or maybe they didn't and that's what the friction was about. I realize they ended up with the patent but just how they did is my question You stated that " Jet fins were not copies they were made by SCUBA Pro under US patent protection." By "not copies" do you mean according to Patent Laws they were different enough to obtain a patent? To me the appear close enough to the Beuchat fins that I would call them a copy. They even kept the same name.

"On one of his European trips in the 1960s, [ ScubaPro ] co-founder Gustav Dalla Valle purchased the rights to a funny looking French fin that had holes in the blades, called vents. The reaction of his partner, Dick Bonin: "That's the ugliest fin I've ever seen. We won't be able to give these things away." Gustav replied that they had better try selling some, because the order had already been placed. They were displayed at a trade show, and a few shops bought them out of curiosity. Soon calls starting coming in from dealers, asking for more. Up to that time nobody at Scubapro had even tested the product, but they quickly realized that the new Jet Fins were a big hit. The first vented fin and the first serious fin with adjustable heel straps, it spawned a generation of imitators."

[URL='http://www.sandiegodiving.com/education/items/13.html']Weird Gear[/URL]
I read the full “weird gear” article, lol!
That was a great read.

Sure!
PM me and I’ll text or email you a pic. I don’t do photos here, too much of a PITA.

I tried the conversation route and I was told , I cannot converse with you. Should I contact and send info through your website? Thanks, Tony

They could have purchased the US patent rights outright or had some sort of licensing agreement with Beuchat. Just because something has a patent number does not necessarily mean they own the patent.

What I read was that ScubaPro had purchased the "rights" so yes, that could mean at least two different things.

I was in fact choosing them for partially for trim weight. I’m also attracted to the monoprene fins that are neutral in fresh water but I’m afraid that might mean really buoyant in salt. Does anyone know how this plays out? ( Hint: beautiful orange fin).

For me there is not one fin, there is a “fin wardrobe” that I wish to slowly build up. I am finding the jet fin foot pocket can hurt if the straps are too tight, which is one reason I like the original, adjustable strap. Also experimenting with different booties in them.

Here's one to add to your wardrobe:

high heel orange fins.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom