Heck Yeah, Jetfins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@mdb
A 50 year old fin still considered by some to be the best fin available?
Correction--- 53 year old fin --introduced to the u US market by SCUBA Pro in 1965
(2018- 1965=53 years

@Magnus Lundstedt
"The jets is just imitations of the rockets "

FYI Rocket fins were introduced after the Jet fin had been introduced and was well received by the US diving community

When the Jet fin was introduced the standard of the diving community was patterned after the stiff bladed -non adjustable Duck foot fin designed and developed by the great later Art Brown in Laguna Beach Canyon ,California

sdm

Last edited:
I have a friend who had an entire collection of vintage fins. Most of them were 1960’s versions, a lot of UTD Duck Feet, the Aqualung version, and other miscellaneous fins of the era.
Unfortunately his entire collection of fins, dive gear, old regulators, one of a kind hand made spearguns by some of the most famous names in spearfishing, a whole collection of 1970’s custom paddle dive boards, and a lot of other stuff, ALL OF IT BURNED UP in the infamous and terrifying North Bay firestorm in October of 2017.

:(
Changing continents is great: after the second time you end up keeping things that will either fit into checked bag, or can be left behind with no regrets.

@mdb

Concurrently the JYC movie "World with out sun" appeared on the big screen, with divers using full foot Jet fins. It was assumed that US Dives would be importing them--they didn't --they chose the worst fin ever made the "Caravelle."

What did the Caravelle's look like and why ere they the "worst fin ever made?" I'm not familiar with them and it's been a while since I've seen the movie :wink: There is a current Caravelle fin but somehow I doubt it's the same fin.

@Eric Sedletzky
I have a friend who had an entire collection of vintage fins. Most of them were 1960’s versions, a lot of UTD Duck Feet, the Aqualung version, and other miscellaneous fins of the era.
Unfortunately his entire collection of fins, dive gear, old regulators, one of a kind hand made spearguns by some of the most famous names in spearfishing, a whole collection of 1970’s custom paddle dive boards, and a lot of other stuff, ALL OF IT BURNED UP in the infamous and terrifying North Bay firestorm in October of 2017.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a daughter who survived the same fire,,Her condo and storage unit was saved but her profession as a property manager was destroyed -- She has moved south and is currently living with my wife and I
Certain elements of the California diving world is small -- could or would you PM me the name of the collector who lost his fin collection ?

SDM

* sigh * Apologies, that did sound more than a bit harsh. Let me try to explain.

I grow weary of hearing about how one piece of scuba gear is the 'be all and end all'. No such thing and never will be.

Consider the progression: As a beginning diver, one is all about how to stay down longer and fin more effectively. Jump ahead to the high tech divers and they are all on rebreathers (SAC? who cares?) and diver propulsion vehicles. (DPV's) Fins, who cares? Jump ahead to those lucky few who go down in acrylic bubbles to depths that no rebreather pilot will ever see. Are they divers? Sure. SCUBA. Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus. But now you are completely inside of your gear. I can't wait to see what will be next...
No harm no foul! Absolutely there are plenty of good choices for dive gear and each diver has to find what works best for them.

Different fin strokes for different folks. Dove them many decades ago when they first came out but too darned heavy for a travel fin and I'm knock kneed so I can't do a decent frog kick anyway! And, yes, I'll admit it... I use split fins (Apollo Bio Fins) here at home but my ancient blades when traveling.
They are heavy for travel , I'm reminded every time I grab my carryon bag, but we all want to take whatever is our favorite. Oh, and the bag has to be long enough even though they aren't as long as some others.

So sorry the hear that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom