Heck Yeah, Jetfins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My XL Jets weigh in at 6.3lbs with stainless straps. My Hollis F1's weigh in at 7.4 lbs ...//...
People who are trying to wrap their heads around fins are actually paying attention to this thread.

Are those topside weights? Betting my ass they are. But what do they count for underwater? (salt or fresh, your choice)

People who are trying to wrap their heads around fins are actually paying attention to this thread.

Are those topside weights? Betting my ass they are. But what do they count for underwater? (salt or fresh, your choice)

uh, yeah those are the weights in the living room which is currently not underwater. The F1's are even obscenely heavy at dive sites close to the equator which are impacted by the higher specific gravity of the seawater - and I have no idea how much worse they'd be in a body of fresh water. They work pretty good though once they're moving and they look great.

If I had to get one though, it would be the Jets because of the durability

I was in fact choosing them for partially for trim weight. I’m also attracted to the monoprene fins that are neutral in fresh water but I’m afraid that might mean really buoyant in salt. Does anyone know how this plays out? ( Hint: beautiful orange fin).

For me there is not one fin, there is a “fin wardrobe” that I wish to slowly build up. I am finding the jet fin foot pocket can hurt if the straps are too tight, which is one reason I like the original, adjustable strap. Also experimenting with different booties in them.

I think it's a personal decision at best. I bought a pair of jets and they now provide rubber padding on the bottom of my dive locker. Currently, I'm diving Deep6 Eddy fins which combine a blade similar to jets with a far more agreeable near neutral buoyancy and a more comfortable foot pocket. I use the Eddy fins for wetsuit diving and DiveRite XT for drysuit diving where a little more weight is desirable.

The jets is just imitations of the rockets ;-)
They are???
I thought Scubapro came out with Jet’s in 1965 and it was the first “vented” fin design, a breakthrough at the time. USD was still making something similar to Voit’s UTD Duck Feet, but when they saw the instant popularity of the Jet’s they had to come out with Rockets to compete.

I tested F1’s right next to Jet’s and I didn't care for the F1’s. To me they couldn’t do any of the kicks as well, they seemed to use more energy, and had less output for energy expended.
The other fin I have and like are Turtles. They are a bit shorter and wider than jet’s but are a vented natural black rubber fin and flexible. They actually work slightly better for flutter kicking, I don’t know why? The foot pocket is bigger than the Jet XL’s, but not nearly as huge as the old XXL Jet foot pocket. Now they have a XXXL Jet that is the same as the old XXL jet, and the “new” XXL is a new size right in between.
It shows SP’s dedication to this fin that they once tried to get rid of.

They are???
I thought Scubapro came out with Jet’s in 1965 and it was the first “vented” fin design, a breakthrough at the time. USD was still making something similar to Voit’s UTD Duck Feet, but when they saw the instant popularity of the Jet’s they had to come out with Rockets to compete.

In fact it was Beuchat who came out with the original Jetfin in the early 60's.

beuchat-jetfin-jpg.132331.jpg

In fact it was Beuchat who came out with the original Jetfin in the early 60's.

View attachment 449692

I remember using this fin, closed heal with strap, in the early to mid 70's when I started diving in Libya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom