He unavailable - DeepAir again?

Your dealing with unpurchaseable He, if so?

• No problems with purchasing He here.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Hard to get He - so I practice DeepAir up to 210ft

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Hard to get He - so I practice DeepAir below 210ft

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Hard to get He - depth limit is 120ft with air

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • He hard to get= expensive so I got a CCR

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, times have changed (esp. in Europe) and purchasing He is for some an issue. Hearing much rumor about it at the local dive sites. I'm curious if DeepAir may have a reconissance - if there is really a problem. Please feel free to post some regional informations.

Thanks for voting,
André

I am certified for recreational diving (no tech) in air down to 50m with deco (not accelerated, also in air) and with a buddy, and I think that this is a reasonable recreational limit here in the Mediterranean.
Everything "deeper", air or not, is "tech", so it is not for me!

I am certified for recreational diving (no tech) in air down to 50m with deco (not accelerated, also in air) and with a buddy, and I think that this is a reasonable recreational limit here in the Mediterranean.
Everything "deeper", air or not, is "tech", so it is not for me!
I am certified for air-only to 55m (TDI Extended Range), but having done that I think it is a really bad idea.

My first thought is that your poll shows deep air to 210 ft and at 210 ft, using 21% (normal air as the post states) your PO2 is 1.554. I plan all dives at or under 1.4 and only use 1.6 on deco stops. This is a problem in my opinion.

Next is gas density and at 7.4 ATMs using 21%, your gas density would be 9.53. Remember that the current recommendation is between 5.2 and 6.2 and this is WELL above what is currently recommended.

Lastly is narcosis. Your END for this dive would be 6.4 ATMs. Gas Narcosis is not your friend.

So above are the problems as I see them with deep air and I do not think we will see more people using it. Here in Bali it is pretty normal to see people diving air to 40m (5 atms) but I prefer to add some helium in the mix once I am pushing 40m.

EDIT: Since I see others posting their cert levels, I am certified to use trimix on OC to 50m and am normoxic trained on CCR to 60m.

If a dive has normal gas reserves with a twinset and a single stage of deco gas i'll use air.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom