Cozumel Trip Report, Late May – Early June 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if that's why we don't see more dive travel trip reports from Grand Turk, St. Eustatius, St. Vincent, Tobago and some other places. Perhaps by the time U.S. & Canadian-based rec. dive tourists get through some of the 1st & 2nd tier (by popularity) regional destinations (e.g.: Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, Belize, the Caymans, Bahamas), they start looking farther afield for something different (e.g.: California, Galapagos, Indonesia) for their exploration diving, and fall back on a favorite repeat local destination for reliable, budget single week trips?

Richard.

Caribbean diving is more alike than it is different. After you have sampled the top 3-5 destinations you will probably come to the same opinion.

You mentioned Galapagos and Indonesia. Watch the videos linked in my signature. I've been to these places once and this is the footage I got. You are not going to see stuff like this in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
You mentioned Galapagos and Indonesia. Watch the videos linked in my signature. I've been to these places once and this is the footage I got. You are not going to see stuff like this in the Caribbean.

Ron, what boat did you use in Indo?

Comparing anywhere in the Caribbean to Indonesia (or Pacific) diving-wise is just unfair. The biodiversity is not even close. That said it is nice to book a week of diving with spots you can easily travel to in a day. Caribbean has some really good diving. Indo-Pacific is an entirely different level - both for the diving experience and the logistics of travelling there.

Comparing anywhere in the Caribbean to Indonesia (or Pacific) diving-wise is just unfair. The biodiversity is not even close. That said it is nice to book a week of diving with spots you can easily travel to in a day. Caribbean has some really good diving. Indo-Pacific is an entirely different level - both for the diving experience and the logistics of travelling there.

The topic keeps coming up because Scubaboard has a lot of US based members.

I dove on the Cheng Ho for Indonesia. I don't think it is around anymore.

I got really lucky at El Cidral (I think) and saw 7 nurse sharks-- one pair and two groups of three.

That was one thing that I noticed in Cozumel - I saw a lot more animals in pairs than I have elsewhere in the Caribbean. Not just the usual suspects, e.g. mated pairs of filefish or butterfly fish, but even animals that I thought were usually solitary, like green moray eels. Has anyone else observed this on Cozumel? Have I just not been diving enough yet, or is this a "thing" on Cozumel?

Instagram post by Paul • Jun 8, 2017 at 4:15am UTC
Instagram post by Paul • Jun 8, 2017 at 4:13am UTC
Instagram post by Paul • Jun 8, 2017 at 4:04am UTC
Instagram post by Paul • Jun 10, 2017 at 2:42am UTC
Instagram post by Paul • Jun 9, 2017 at 4:02am UTC

I don't remember the name of the site, but there is a green moray eel and nurse shark that appear to live together. I believe this is a known thing and they can be found together under the same ledge on a regular basis. Ask your dive master.

Paso del Cedral

I have been told that sometimes you can see the pair out hunting the reef together.

They're BFF's for sure.

Attachments

• Nurse-Eel.jpg
    Nurse-Eel.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 124
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom