He unavailable - DeepAir again?

Your dealing with unpurchaseable He, if so?

• No problems with purchasing He here.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Hard to get He - so I practice DeepAir up to 210ft

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Hard to get He - so I practice DeepAir below 210ft

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Hard to get He - depth limit is 120ft with air

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • He hard to get= expensive so I got a CCR

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many different ways to dive - here 170' on air is pretty much as deep as I'll do. Open ocean, warm waters, no work involved.......

Many different ways to dive - here 170' on air is pretty much as deep as I'll do. Open ocean, warm waters, no work involved.......
@ChuckP,

Accelerated decompression (oxygen or EAN80), or deco on air?

My first (and only) "tech dive" in warm water was a deep air dive in Grand Cayman, in 2000. IIRC, we planned 165 fsw for 20 min BT (might have been 25 min). EAN80 deco. Absolutely amazing dive!

rx7diver

@ChuckP,

My first (and only) "tech dive" in warm water was a deep air dive in Grand Cayman, in 2000. IIRC, we planned 165 fsw for 20 min BT (might have been 25 min). EAN80 deco. Absolutely amazing dive!

rx7diver

Spoiled, I do cold dark water.

Spoiled, I do cold dark water.
I learned in the Great Lakes. Drysuit, manifolded HP100's (later changed to HP120's), deep air with accelerated deco on oxygen. You know the drill, I'm sure.

Some deep air dives deeper than 200 ffw. (IANTD Advanced Deep Air cert.)

Warm water, deep air diving in a 3/2 mm jumpsuit wetsuit and using manifolded Luxfer Al 80's and an Al 40 deco cylinder can absolutely change you!

My "tech diving" ceased not long after that 2000 Cayman Island dive. (My first child was born in 2001.)

rx7diver

Poll options are pretty bad. I have no interest in He but I could certainly see going deeper than 120 on EAN or air.

@ChuckP,

rx7diver

Deco on air makes for a very long day - I use 80 here because we can't get boosted 100.

Dive two 80's of aire or one aire, one 32/36 but always something greater than 50% in a 40.

He is stupid expensive here and the one main shop does not have experience in topping tanks - you pay for a full fill no mater what and that makes it undoable for me.

I'm comfortable in the 170 range but honestly not every day that I want that depth do I get it - sometimes it just doesn't feel right whether it be your head, currents or visibility - if it ain't good, go up, pretty simple. In a sense, it's much easier here because you have no defined target ie shipwreck other than max depth.

I think the poll needs a few more options. I'm not about to go down to 210' -- at least not yet -- but I've also gone to rebreather, so I'm still using air and diving deeper than 120'.
Why?
Lots of risk for no benefit. Your profile says you are in Atlanta, that isn't exactly a helium desert.

Hi, thanks for all votes and comments. It seems that there is not that bad He availbillity.

The depth limits are of course not sharp. 120 or 130ft? - does not really matter fot the polls intension. I just thought for the 210ft: beyond with air ist definitely dangerous.

I also think its clear, that TMX ist the best and savest option for dives below rec limits. But how dealing with He-shortance? -> therefore the poll

In that manner I added the CCR option. That was a very good point! Thx!

Balloon gas, I'm still here

Why?
Lots of risk for no benefit. Your profile says you are in Atlanta, that isn't exactly a helium desert.
You might be surprised about the helium-desert thing. Unless you want I should stop in at Airgas and do my own blending, I'm kinda stuck. I've not found any shop or any individual person that gives helium fills. There are three shops within 30-40 minutes of me -- two do air/nitrox, and only one will provide O2 fills. And none of the ATL shops I've investigated indicate they do helium fills; if they do, they're keeping it a secret. If you know where I can get a fill, let me know.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom