He unavailable - DeepAir again?

Your dealing with unpurchaseable He, if so?

• No problems with purchasing He here.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Hard to get He - so I practice DeepAir up to 210ft

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Hard to get He - so I practice DeepAir below 210ft

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Hard to get He - depth limit is 120ft with air

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • He hard to get= expensive so I got a CCR

Votes: 27 30.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am certified for air-only to 55m (TDI Extended Range), but having done that I think it is a really bad idea.
Of course it is a bad idea!
Did it sometimes when young, never again after being 30 y.o. with children...
My current self imposed limit is 25 m in air, and at least 15 min away from NDL.
Better safe than sorry!

Of course it is a bad idea!
Did it sometimes when young, never again after being 30 y.o. with children...
My current self imposed limit is 25 m in air, and at least 15 min away from NDL.
Better safe than sorry!
Establishing personal limits is a good thing, IMHO.

I was open water certified (NAUI/YMCA) when I was 32 years old when I was completing graduate school. Began my deep air diving (on Great Lakes shipwrecks) about six years later. Began my family when I was 46, which effectively returned me to (no-decompression, no overhead) recreational diving, using air, not exceeding open water training limits (130 ffw)--except, I dive solo. Single 1st stage for dives down to 30 ffw or so; two 1st stages on a Y-valve for dives down to 60 ffw or so; two first stages on doubles for dives beyond ~60 ffw. These limits work for me at this stage of my life (being a senior citizen and having three near/young-adult children).

For people who might consider diving deeper on air, I really hope they can find competent instruction (formal or informal) that helps them understand the increased risk, and helps them understand how to do this as relatively safely as possible.

I think it is unrealistic (naive?) to believe that "No helium" = "No deep, decompression diving."

When I did my Cavern and Basic Cave cert training (in 1988), my instructor made the point of saying that he and his fellow instructors were not promoting cave diving, but that they (NACD/NSS-CDS) recognized that some people were going to attempt to cave dive despite the Grim Reaper warning signs posted at the entrance to U/W caves. Those instructors (at that time) were simply hoping to help these divers understand the risks, and teach those divers skills that would keep them relatively safe as they took their first steps into cave diving.

I hope the tech training agencies will dust off their old Deep Air courses, to provide knowledge to divers who are contemplating diving deep on air (because of the lack of He, or otherwise).

rx7diver

I hope the tech training agencies will dust off their old Deep Air courses, to provide knowledge to divers who are contemplating diving deep on air (because of the lack of He, or otherwise).
Unfortunately, there were a very very small number of instructors that collectively lost their **** when TDI last attempted to remove Extended Range from their curriculum. Let it go the way of the dodo.

Unfortunately, there were a very very small number of instructors that collectively lost their **** when TDI last attempted to remove Extended Range from their curriculum. Let it go the way of the dodo.
Lots of people dive deep air with accelerated deco. Cousteau and friends, not to mention where helium's not available -- all the guides in Chuuk for example.

Given a choice of doing a dive or not if helium's not available -- say to 50m/165ft -- would you sit it out?

Lots of people dive deep air with accelerated deco. Cousteau and friends, not to mention where helium's not available -- all the guides in Chuuk for example.
Helium is available in Chuuk (and Bikini, for that matter)

Helium is available in Chuuk (and Bikini, for that matter)
Not, AFAIAA, for use by the guides nor in the quantities required for open circuit.

Hard to get here in Austria, some shops have it but officially no one is allowed to buy new 50l cylinders, just refills sometimes, when you are not using it for medical usage.

I have no problem buying helium, also have a CCR. If I'm on OC I don't dive deeper than about 105ft - on 32%. I havent done an OC air dive in 15+ years. On CCR I pretty much always have helium in my dil.

That said I did a 145-150ft dive on CCR in 3C water in Newfoundland last summer to check out a German torpedo in the sand off the stern of the wreck of the SS Rose Castle. My buddy was narced out of his gourd, I was of course perfectly fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom