Guru No More

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In short: 5000 posts used to say "Scubaboard Guru" we changed that to veteran.

And you don't have to be here long or in the pub for more than a few minutes to realize who posts one liners just to up the post count.
Perhaps brevity is their motivation and not their post count?

Some of the posts here look like text mesages, and in those cases brevity is no doubt the intent.

The point is people understand that and they realize that 20,000 text messages does not make a reference book and should not be assuming otherwise or mistaking a high post count for expertise in anything - except maybe texting.

Look at it differently from a cost benefit perspective. Last night I saw a post about a Royal Mistral where the guy basically posted a link to his e-bay auction. A post count of 2 immediately spoke volumes about what was going on and what this guy is all about. In contrast, seeing the same thing this morning would show you "Junior Member" which could mean one post or 25 posts.

I can think of few cases in the history of man where less information or the over aggragation of data helped anyone make better decisions. I'm just say'in dropping the post count solves nothing and is in many respects a giant leap backward.

Edit:

Now I am confused...this morning none of the people on this thread showed a post count, now some do and some don't.

Why is that? If the only change is truly Guru getting ousted for veteran, then it's a non issue (and pre-morning coffee brain fart on my part.)

You might consider however giving the moderators the ability to get together once in awhile to select a few people with consistently good posts (well thought out, polite, useful, etc.) for some other tag. e.g. Trusted Agent. Maybe have to be a supporter as well to be considered for the honor.

There are definitely some people here that are very good at helping people out and I think that they deserve some recognition as well as a highlight that lets others know they are worth listening to.

Might consider a thanks/post ratio requirement as well.

so umm . . . .

just because I make short 140 character or less posts I don't have a valid input?

Like when I post in site support, I am always helpful there.

I realize sometimes I don't. but occasionally I am helpful.

and the Coz forum, I am very helpful there. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom