Good diving magazine, recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdharbis1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a brother that is showing an interest in diving and I want to encourage him in every way. I want to send him a subscription to a good magazine that would also be encouraging. What would be a good one that targets rec diving. He is not a world traveller.

thanks,
Randy

People hate Scuba Diving, but it's pretty fun for all the pretty pictures...especially for someone totally new. That would be my recommendation.

Dive Training is oriented at new divers to a large extent and I like it, but it may not be of interest to someone who knows nothing about diving.

Remember to look on ebay for magazine subscriptions. Muy cheap.

Gregg

Uh Oh, I just subscribed to Scuba Diving last week. Haven't gotten the first magazine yet. BUT, I am new too, so, !

I subscribe to it also, as do a lot of people here. The big complaint people make is that they are not honest with their reviews and they favor their advertiser. I haven't noticed too much of that. To me, it's more that they never give a negative review to anything. But, whatever, that's what scubaboad is for.

Basically, it's a fun, short attention span magazine with lots of pretty pictures and lots of not-very-in-depth articles. It's fun enough on an airplane or in the bathroom. And you can get it really cheap on ebay.

The DAN magazine is pretty good. You get that when you join DAN.

i have a subscription too all three, dive training,sport diver, and scuba diving, of the three scuba diving is my least favorite, dive training and sport diver are both excellent, but scuba diving as said before does have a lot of neat pix, so i think any of the three would work to show your brother what its all about

Scuba Diving and Dive Training are my 2 favorites. But how about a basic scuba book to understand what it's all about, there are several on the market.There's even a diving book in the "dummies" collect.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Remember to look on ebay for magazine subscriptions. Muy cheap.

Gregg

I agree with that. Best place to buy Scuba Diving is on Ebay. You
can get a subscription from a seller named "Blueskymagazines" for
two years (22 issues) for $8-$10 bucks. Much cheaper than buying
direct.

I've bought 3 or 4 magazines subscriptions from him(blueskymagazines)
and have never had a problem. check it out HERE

As for my favorite Dive magazines, Dive Training is prob the one
best for newer divers and it isn't as full of articles and gear reviews
that are "advertiser driven" like Scuba Diving magazine is.

Best of all, you can pick up Dive Training for free at most local dive shops,
though you can also subscribe to it.

I like (Florida) Scuba News also, but they are much smaller and more focused
on the Florida market. They aren't that "mainstream" on their advertising but
get lots of ads from the Florida stores. But it's a decent mag. Subscriptions
aren't cheap though for the thickness/content of it, but you can pick it up
at your LDS for free often also.

They all suck now.:D Skin Diver was okay, but it folded a few years ago. I only get Sport Diver 'cuz PADI mails it to me, and AlertDiver 'cuz DAN mails it to me. Sport Diver's all ads; I only read their equipment sections.

The new Wreck mag gets great reviews, but few people think it will last very long before they run out of stuff to write about.

Lots of people I know get Scuba Diving, formerly Rodales's Scuba Diving. I suppose it's the best one out there, that's likely to stay out there. There's a mort of folks on ScubaBoard that can't stand it, however. Fickle.:wink:

Dive Training has the best pictures of divers. Most magazines waste all their graphics on scenery and products.

Here's a listing of many scuba-type magazines.
http://www.world-newspapers.com/scuba.html

Stop by your LDS and grab a few months of Dive Training for free. They may even have leftover back issues. About 1/2 of the articles are "soft" stuff like destinations, wildlife and ecology. The skills features will show him that it's not all black magic.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom