Ginnie Springs-Trip Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChameleonAmy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading down to Ginnie Springs next Thurs-Fri to do some diving, and was wondering if anyone who's been there before has any advice. We're newbies, so we won't be doing any cave diving while there, and we're looking to stay at <40ft depths. What sort of water entry is common there (e.g. jump off a dock, shore diving)? And, typically how is visibility this time of year?

We haven't yet booked our lodging yet either. Does anyone have a favorite accomodation in the area?

Thanks for any and all advice :)

There's only one place you'll be able to dive in Ginnie Springs. That's the Ginnie basin. Max depth is about 20ft in the basin. OW divers are allowed in the cavern, which drops down to a max depth of 55ft, but I wouldn't suggest you enter the cavern without getting a lot more experience. Entry is 2 sets of steps that go right into the water. Visibility is perfect year round - 200ft +. We've stayed here in the past. There are also several other springs within an hour or so drive from there that you might find interesting. If you are planning on doing 5 days of diving at Ginnie, you'll get bored quickly. Travelling around the area and diving several springs might be more enjoyable. Let me know if you want more info on those other springs.

another vote for high springs country inn. Cheap, clean and the people who run in are very diver friendly and bend over backwards to help you.

You can also dive the openwater sections of the 3 Devil's springs. You are not allowed to carry lights, and yes, they do have people that check every so often, but the OW area is definitely worth a dive. Even at 40' you can see most of what is there.

If you like camping, this is a pretty good time of year to camp at Ginnie.

The Eye isn't too bad, but I wouldn't recommend the Ear for a new diver.

Another vote for High Springs Country Inn! Great people, last time we were there they gave one of the guys a dog LOL!
We'll be at Ginnie March 24 but I have friends who live 1.5 miles from there so no more motels for me--YEAH!
Ber :lilbunny:

ChameleonAmy:
And, typically how is visibility this time of year?
Visibility in the river is not good this time of year, usually about 6 feet. Visibility in the springs themselves is limited by the distance (literally). If you look down the run (and incompentent divers haven't stirred up huge amounts of sand), you see 60 yards of crystal clear water (You can easily identify a fish at that distance as a bass or a big bream.), and then a solid dark brown/olive wall of river water. It's really cool, especially when a school of mullet is hanging around the convergence, and they move into and out of visibility.

Now if you really want to see the Devils side (ear and the eye) you could ALWAYS talk someone into running over to Ginnie to give you a quick tour...
GEE , I wonder who that would be ??? :D :D :D

Let me know !!!!
I would love to give you a quick tour over the other spring holes.

BTW: I live 15 minutes from Ginnie so It's right in my back yard , so to speak. So are most of the other Open Water Springs. And there are some REALLY NICE ones down near Williston and a SUPER one near Ocala ... ( !!! )

Take care , and hope to see you when you get down here to Spring Country.

Jean
Fort White , Florida

P.S. ScubaFool is right ... This is a REAL nice time of year for camping there. If that is your style. And I know of some other places too...

And as of this Tues night , the tanic level of the river is about even with the Ear.
But the Sante Fe right now is ALL tanic. ONLY when the river level gets really low does it get clear. But the springs are where it's at anyway. IMHO ... (of course)

Its been very cold at night the past few nights, the Floridians have been turning blue, shivering, teeth chattering, just awful. Mid forties, fergawdzsakes! It was so cold, I had to put on a long sleeve henley and change into jeans instead of shorts.

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous, I wish my blood had thinned as much as the locals. BTW, the temps will be perfect by this weekend.

Dive-aholic:
There's only one place you'll be able to dive in Ginnie Springs. That's the Ginnie basin. Max depth is about 20ft in the basin. OW divers are allowed in the cavern, which drops down to a max depth of 55ft, but I wouldn't suggest you enter the cavern without getting a lot more experience. Entry is 2 sets of steps that go right into the water. Visibility is perfect year round - 200ft +. We've stayed here in the past. There are also several other springs within an hour or so drive from there that you might find interesting. If you are planning on doing 5 days of diving at Ginnie, you'll get bored quickly. Travelling around the area and diving several springs might be more enjoyable. Let me know if you want more info on those other springs.

A couple of weeks agho we stayed at Quality Inn, at exit 399 off I-75 in Alachua. It's only 15 mins away from Ginnie, there are a few restaurants right across the street, and it's probably a little more modern, if that appeals to you.

About 5 minutes in the basin at Ginnie bores me. Too small, though beautiful. You'll about have to enter the cavern to have much fun. But there's a permanent guideline in and out. Have 2 good lights, and stay off the bottom! It's hard to silt up, but not impossible, I'm told. As caverns go, it's a good one for OW divers to do, who don't have cavern/cave training. You'll like it.

I agree that you should stay away from Devils Ear if you are new. I just did the Cavern course recently; we did the Ear as the last classroom dive. Strong flow coming out, not a good situation for new people. Also way too tempting to go past the grim reaper sign when you get to the bottom of the shaft, where the ambient sunlight is gone, and the "cavern" becomes a cave, officially speaking. At Ginnie, you really can't do taht; the cavern doesn't go anywhere, and the opening where the spring comes from is small and grated off. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom