Getting new reg. DIN v. Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USC8791

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to the board and a relatively new diver. I'm taking the plunge and getting my own equipment. Curious to know what you guys recommend; din or yoke for my reg attachment (pros, cons etc..). I know adapters are available and the DIn to yoke is probably easiest, but wanted input from the board. I'll mostly be diving air/nitrox no deco off the Carolina coast and in the Carribean.

Also, I've pretty much decided on the SP mk25/s600, SP knighthawk w/A2, Suunto mosquito, and UWT mini console for my gear. Any thoughts or other recommendations (i've read many of the previous forums and they've been very helpful). My LDS carries SP, AL and SQ so I'd like to stay within these brands if at all possible. Also, how's the SP reg regarding drymouth?

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or newbie abuse!

Get a 300 bar din reg and you can dive any tank, Yoke, LP or HP steel. And the yoke adapter is easy and quick to install. Moving on to steel tanks or more advanced diving will make the DIN reg more precious to you.

I agree the above statement and recently went with DIN on my new Atomics M-1. If necessary the conversion from DIN to yoke is simple, and I like the secure feeling I get when attaching the DIN, more secure, less likely to fail.

I sorta agree with the people who spoke so far. My one point of disagreement is that people go through less air in warmer water, and in SC or the tropics, yoke is the standard, and since you will NEVER bring your own tank, you need to be compatible with rented tanks.
Personally, I am having my yoke converted to DIN--but I plan on wreck penetration fairly soon, and I dive in cold water. MOST regs can be converted, it wouldn't be a big deal to start yoke and then switch to DIN.
Cotton mouth? The equipment I am having converted is Sherwood 1st and my 2nd is a Sherwood Oasis. In cold water, you actually accumulate a small amount of spit in the reg. In the Caymans and the Bahamas, PERFECT.
Best of luck with you gear choice. No matter what you pick, you'll have upsides and downsides. Choose well.

divermatt:
and since you will NEVER bring your own tank, you need to be compatible with rented tanks.

Never say never, I lug my doubles lots of places.

When I don't this...
rg1225blk.jpg

is a 2-minute install if you take the time to triple check it.

it wouldn't be a big deal to start yoke and then switch to DIN.

Check the price differences in the initial reg, an adapter pictured above is less than $40, converting a yoke to DIN can run $75+

It doesn't matter. DIN is way overhyped. You'd think there were yoke regs failing all over the place the way everyone on this board hypes DIN. IMHO, either way is absolutely fine but I'll echo the sentiments above and say get a DIN to yoke adapter if you go DIN.

Brian

Go with either one! I've got DIN on my doubles and stages and Yoke on my singles reg.

I have a yoke connector on my regulator (Aqualung Titan LX) because I'd never heard of DIN before I bought it. But it serves me well, and since I travel a fair amount and take the regs with me, the yoke is more convenient.

When I put my doubles together, they will have DIN connectors. Makes sense to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom