Getting my First Reg - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bierstadt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I request advice for something solid but entry-level in cost.

I am a Great Lakes diver who is getting back into diving after taking my OW course years ago and not doing any diving since until this year. I loathed jacket BCD's so my first acquisition was getting a BP/W from Tobin. Very happy with it. However, rental regs fit on a BP/W about as well as tractor tires fit on a Prius. These things are simply not made for each other. My intention was to rent regs and save my limited diving dollars for classes and diving, but uncomfortable with your equipment is uncomfortable with your equipment. So what to do...

I have done research and read A LOT of forum posts in the last couple weeks. It seems that I would be best served - for cold fresh water diving - with a sealed first stage, which is best done with a diaphragm type, a balanced second stage primary (diaphragms appear to have fewer problems with this as well), and either an unbalanced Octo or an identical second stage if the price is comparable. The SPG should be a simple brass unit. Finally, the hoses should (by preference) be the braided nylon flex type (not rubber) for both durability and packing convenience, and of the correct length for a DIR BP/W setup. My expectations for performance are limited to not being worse than rental regs. (The last one I used wheezed like a badly tuned reed until I carefully slowed my breathing, how wonderful...) I am more interested in reliability.

I would appreciate advice on if my above conclusions are accurate, and also the best value reg set or individual parts for the money still meeting my needs that you are aware of. The Deep6 DGX is my front runner at $400 for everything. I would gladly spend less if I could and still get something I would feel confident in, and I could see spending more if there was a strong reason to do so. My LDS is an Aqualung dealer, and I very much doubt I could afford their prices for something comparable to the Deep6 DGX package, though I will ask.

@joe10540 posted in a thread regarding regs under $1k about Synchro regs that are selling for around $100, and I am very curious about those as well. They seem to review well, but I have no other knowledge of the company.

Also, does anyone know what the servicing process is on the Deep6 DGX models? DIY is fine with me, but I would prefer not to have it be the only option.

My apologies for asking so many questions. In fairness though, I only ask because there are so many people on here who respond with posts worth reading.

Thank you.

Hello,

I am a Great Lakes diver who is getting back into diving after taking my OW course years ago and not doing any diving since until this year. I loathed jacket BCD's so my first acquisition was getting a BP/W from Tobin. Very happy with it. However, rental regs fit on a BP/W about as well as tractor tires fit on a Prius. These things are simply not made for each other. My intention was to rent regs and save my limited diving dollars for classes and diving, but uncomfortable with your equipment is uncomfortable with your equipment. So what to do...

I have done research and read A LOT of forum posts in the last couple weeks. It seems that I would be best served - for cold fresh water diving - with a sealed first stage, which is best done with a diaphragm type, a balanced second stage primary (diaphragms appear to have fewer problems with this as well), and either an unbalanced Octo or an identical second stage if the price is comparable. The SPG should be a simple brass unit. Finally, the hoses should (by preference) be the braided nylon flex type (not rubber) for both durability and packing convenience, and of the correct length for a DIR BP/W setup. My expectations for performance are limited to not being worse than rental regs. (The last one I used wheezed like a badly tuned reed until I carefully slowed my breathing, how wonderful...) I am more interested in reliability.

I would appreciate advice on if my above conclusions are accurate, and also the best value reg set or individual parts for the money still meeting my needs that you are aware of. The Deep6 DGX is my front runner at $400 for everything. I would gladly spend less if I could and still get something I would feel confident in, and I could see spending more if there was a strong reason to do so. My LDS is an Aqualung dealer, and I very much doubt I could afford their prices for something comparable to the Deep6 DGX package, though I will ask.

@joe10540 posted in a thread regarding regs under $1k about Synchro regs that are selling for around $100, and I am very curious about those as well. They seem to review well, but I have no other knowledge of the company.

Also, does anyone know what the servicing process is on the Deep6 DGX models? DIY is fine with me, but I would prefer not to have it be the only option.

My apologies for asking so many questions. In fairness though, I only ask because there are so many people on here who respond with posts worth reading.

Thank you.
I'm a newbie and a warm water diver, so I'll leave the reco's for you to experienced, cold water folks :).

However, there are some cautions/potential concerns on the braided hoses that you should be aware of if you go that route:

Alert Diver | Invisible Crystals

Something else to consider would be to shop the classifieds and find something used. That usually saves quite a bit of money off buying new.

Personally I only use rubber hoses, I've seen those cool nylon hoses twist right into a kink and not have any airflow. Plus rubber hoses are cheap enough if you shop around that you can afford to replace them more frequently than the nylon hoses if you start to see wear and tear.

You mentioned getting your regs serviced and wondering about finding a local shop. There are several options to mail off your regs and get them back good as new in a week or so. Plus the guys working on them usually only work on a specific brand or style so they are more familiar with it.

Buying a regulator is kinda like buying a car. You can buy new or used. You can buy cheap and functional or flashy and high performance. Somewhere out there you will find the reg you are looking for at the price you are hoping for. No matter why you buy how well you take care of it and maintain it is going to dictate how many problems you are likely to encounter. Not to say that the $1000 regulator won't fail in 6 months but the $100 reg won't last 6 months if you beat it up and don't take care of it either.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

I am unsure why you say the rental regs don't fit a BP/W. My suggestion is to find out exactly why before purchasing something new that may not work. Pay attention to hose routing to see what type of first stage works best for you.

The synchro regs that Piranha is selling are made by SEAC. They are a Italian company that makes scuba gear. They do not have a large presence in the US, which is probably why you have not heard of them. They are a reputable company.

The DGX regs are made by Ocean Diver Supply in Taiwan. ODS also makes regulators for Hog and other companies. DGX will service the regulators for you but that may be inconvenient. Your LDS may or may not service them because they do not carry the brand.

I would check if your LDS has something like this. While not the best price, it is the best that I have seen recently. Apeks is owned by Aqualung, so any Aqualung dealer can service them.

Consider all the + things said above. Plus consider ease of servicing especially when travelling.

Last edited:
It's been said above, but buying used in this hobby is really a great way to save money. There are few other hobbies out there where people get into them, spend a ton of money, and then decide it's not for them.

I bet 70-80% of mine and my wife's equipment is used. These items include a A700/MK25 regulator for 45% off retail (we paid about $500, including a service), used (but never wet, buyers wife didn't want it) Shearwater Perdix AI with transmitter (saved over $200), used BCD's (about 50% off, still a current model being sold)...

My point is don't discount USED items.

One caveat with regulators... they often need service. A service for a 1st stage, 2nd stage, and octo can run anywhere from $150-$250'ish. Once serviced however, they're as good as new. Take these numbers into account, if you're buying from an honest seller who will work with you a deal should be able to be struck where they ship the regs out for service to say AirTech (great service center, albeit kind of pricey) you pay for service and have AirTech mail them on to you. Lastly IMHO, once this initial service is done research some info on how often regs need serviced going forward (and buy an IP Gauge)... end of rant... enjoy shopping!

I'm pretty sure the Deep6 DGX can also get sent back to Deep6 for service. @cerich can verify. They do not come with the first kits for free or the first service for free like their Signature series brothers, but that shouldn't be much of a concern

Hello,

Thank you.

The synchro is made by seac which is a not as well known italian brand. while perfectly usable, the second stages aren't that great, too much plastic. go with the deep6 or go used if you really need to stretch the dollar. since you are comfortable with diy, another route to go is buying the 804 first stage from piranha and finding some conshelf 14/scubapro 109 or 156 second stages.

Balance Diaphragm Yoke First Stage

For around $400 you can sometimes get the "last year" version of scubapro mk25/s600 new. Every year Scubapro makes a minor change, and the previous year's model goes on sale for about $450. Scubapro isn't great on service, but it is a good product. You get the warranty on the previous year deals just as you would on current year. Since it's July you might not find these available unless you wait until 2018 and go find a 2017 model. Typically there's no difference year to year other than appearance.

Also, HOG has a good reputation.
Hog D1 DIN Env 1st w-Classic 2nd Stg Regulator Set $300 for a sealed first stage + second stage + braided hose.

The guy that probably had the most impact on HOG's good reputation is the guy who runs Deep6, which you are already looking at. Probably great regs as well but they're so new that I don't know anyone who's got one yet. I love my deep6 fins though!

Back
Top Bottom