Getting Certified In Maui...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're heading down at about the same time and I am certified and have dove Maui before (many shore dives, the Cathedrals and Molokini crater), but my two boys 14 / 12 are doing their open water referral down in Maui. I contacted several shops and selected Bia at Maui Diving Scuba Center.

I looked a little into Mauidiveshop, Scubamike, Ed Robinsons (they have B&B), Maui Dreams and Maui Diving Scuba Center. We were looking for 2 ppl to get the Open Water referral, for me to join them for the 4 dives and then for the three of us to do at least another 3 days of 2 tank dives. Price was a factor with 30 dives in total, but not the only piece of the puzzle. We chose Maui Diving Scuba Center as they seemed most responsive via email. I'll let you know my thoughts after we get back but if anyone has any thoughts on any of these, I'm still open to it. Its -25 celsius today here at home so were exited about heading away in about a week!

Aloha!

If you are in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area, Maui Diving seems to have very reasonable prices - I'd say they are ok for OW referrals. I took AOW with them several years ago and thought they were ok (upon reflection knowing what I know now as a PADI instructor, I am somewhat disappointed with respect to the instruction in that course). Search for my posts from 2003 and you can see the questions I had from my AOW course (and the subsequent flames). Price was definitely a factor and they did seem to have the best price but some corners were cut.

You say something about 3 days of 2 tank diving - are those shore dives/instructor led dives/boat dives? Maui Diving doesnt have their own boat so if you are going out on a boat you may be going from Maalea - depending on who they book you with. As posted here previously, you may want to book directly who whatever dive operator - you may get a better rate.

With two newly certified kids diving with you it may be a good idea to have an instructor or guide with you - maybe that is what you are paying for.

Don't forget about some of the excellent Maui instructors on this board - Shaka Doug, KrisB and Kidspot.

Enjoy your trip.

We're heading down at about the same time and I am certified and have dove Maui before (many shore dives, the Cathedrals and Molokini crater), but my two boys 14 / 12 are doing their open water referral down in Maui. I contacted several shops and selected Bia at Maui Diving Scuba Center.

I looked a little into Mauidiveshop, Scubamike, Ed Robinsons (they have B&B), Maui Dreams and Maui Diving Scuba Center. We were looking for 2 ppl to get the Open Water referral, for me to join them for the 4 dives and then for the three of us to do at least another 3 days of 2 tank dives. Price was a factor with 30 dives in total, but not the only piece of the puzzle. We chose Maui Diving Scuba Center as they seemed most responsive via email. I'll let you know my thoughts after we get back but if anyone has any thoughts on any of these, I'm still open to it. Its -25 celsius today here at home so were exited about heading away in about a week!

Aloha!
There are plenty of people who will nay-say this, but I just want to point out that you need to make sure the course being offered is following standards, in order to ensure at least a base level of education. As you noticed, there are things in the PADI curriculum that aren't in SSI and vice-versa...

If the instructor providing the course is issuing a PADI certification (I noticed one of your other posts, you mentioned that your kids did the pool work with an SSI shop), they get to do the PADI final exam and do the "confined water" work (i.e. have all skills introduced in shallow water). This makes the idea of a referral somewhat less of a time/effort saver than you're likely expecting.

Other agencies are different -- this is the PADI standard.

The *only* SSI shop on Maui is Maui Dive Shop. Some agencies (e.g. SDI) allow for less intensive inter-agency referrals, though, too.

Tks KrisB. I'm a big fan of making sure the kids are well trained and will likely go back and ask a few more questions. Not too sure exactly what to ask as if I simply ask "are you following standards", I suspect I'll get a yes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Too bad you are heading home at that time. I'll be watching for you in the airport.

Adjuster-jd,

I had tried earlier on to connect with a local instructor and KrisB replied but he's heading back to Canada on the turn-around flight I'm heading to Maui. Knowing of the other two, I will certainly try connect with them and re-evaluate. Having someone who is passionate enough to give their time to a board like this gives me more comfort than someone I have just hit via their website. Tks for the names!

Adjuster-jd,

I had tried earlier on to connect with a local instructor and KrisB replied but he's heading back to Canada on the turn-around flight I'm heading to Maui. Knowing of the other two, I will certainly try connect with them and re-evaluate. Having someone who is passionate enough to give their time to a board like this gives me more comfort than someone I have just hit via their website. Tks for the names!
Yes... 'tis unfortunate that I start a trip back the same day you're arriving -- I'm back on Maui for February 9th...

I can recommend two other independent instructors that have the flexibility to take the extra time to do things right, too -- Matt (TudorMatt on Scubaboard) and David (DabldoMaui on here). I *know* they'll both follow PADI training standards, and give an exceptional level of energy and education to your kids.

One other thing to consider -- the e-mail responsiveness with Maui operators does not necessarily correlate to how responsive they are a) in person or b) by phone. For whatever reason, e-mail seems to be rarely dealt with by the same people that answer the phone for bookings.

KrisB, tks for the additional names. I already have calls to Shaka Doug and Kidspot but may also call TudorMatt and DabldoMaui.

Hello bmrwizard. When will you be coming to Maui? I would love to set something up with you if you are still interested. PM me or call me on my cell 925-437-1594 and we can talk more.

Matt

gotta love how ancient threads get dug out of the abyss sometimes...

Did anybody else notice the last post in this thread was from Dec/07???

Fishtal has been here and gone by 11 months!

Hey! Don't talk about me like I'm not here!:banana::wink:

I'll be back in two weeks.:D You're right though, I was looking through the recent threads and was shocked to see mine not far down the list.:cool2:

I have dives planned on the Big Island already. I'm still trying to decide where to dive on Oahu and on Maui this time. I have 22 days to work with so we'll see.:D

+1 on using the referral approach and Shaka Doug for Shore or B&B for boat. I've used Shaka Doug and cannot say enough positive things.

Back
Top Bottom