General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few hundred feet of lined cave there is incredibly tight and silty, so it'd have to be able to be pushed several hundred feet with twists, turns, ups and downs if a cave diver is going to have to manipulate it(and I suppose see whats actually going on in front of it)...

...and you'd still need a camera + housing rated for 160' that is small enough to push through the restrictions.
And a battery pack + lights, which are heavy, so that limits how far you can stick that pole...

The last few hundred feet of lined cave there is incredibly tight and silty, so it'd have to be able to be pushed several hundred feet with twists, turns, ups and downs if a cave diver is going to have to manipulate it(and I suppose see whats actually going on in front of it)...

...and you'd still need a camera + housing rated for 160' that is small enough to push through the restrictions.

Even if you could get the system back there, the diver would be in a cramped space trying to maneuver a camera system on a pole into a watery void. The silt would stir and the camera could get covered with that nasty muck in there. Why even try? There's no way he could get 8" tanks back there. He's a big boy as well.

There has to be another explanation, such as that he's buried or gone all together.

How about a new thread for conspiracy theories? ;p

"Possible killer on the loose, picking off solo cave divers at night.. Is it a crime or are they lost in a cave?"

If this guy is pulling a hoax, I'd hate to be him when it is found out.. Talk about pariah diver, to say the least..

If this guy is pulling a hoax, I'd hate to be him when it is found out.. Talk about pariah diver, to say the least..

If it is a hoax, he has to have a serious reason to attempt it, and if it is found out, that serious reason, whatever it may be, will make being a pariah diver the least of his concerns.

Would there not be some very serious charges brought upon him after all the officials/departments (such as the FBI, local LE etc.) that have been involved? What would those charges likely be?

Would there not be some very serious charges brought upon him after all the officials/departments (such as the FBI, local LE etc.) that have been involved? What would those charges likely be?

I tried to look this up but didn't seem to find a clear cut answer. From what I was able to read, if no one profits in any way like collecting life insurance or whatever, it may not be an actual crime.

The first thing that comes to my mind is wanton endangerment. This is from the Kentucky Revised Statutes. I would assume that it's similar in other states:

508.060 Wanton endangerment in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person.
(2) Wanton endangerment in the first degree is a Class D felony.
Effective: January 1, 1975
History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 70, effective January 1, 1975

If this is a hoax. He most certainly had "extreme indifference to the value of human life" with respect to the recovery divers that have been risking their lives.

I'm not an attorney or cave diver so take my post at face value. I've just been following this from the beginning because I was in FL taking a cavern course at the time that it happened.

I tried to look this up but didn't seem to find a clear cut answer. From what I was able to read, if no one profits in any way like collecting life insurance or whatever, it may not be an actual crime.

Only a very, very seriously mentally ill person would do this as a joke. He would have to be running from something, and that something would have to catch him if he shows up somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom