General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The list of open dive sites - not just caves - where people have died previously would be a pretty long one; I know I've dived a few, seen the monuments

Indeed, I dived on two this past weekend.

Makes me wonder if anyone will ever know for sure what happened to the guy if a body is never found.

The Ghost of the dumbass diver!!! Scary oooooOOOOWWW

Just in time for Vortoberfest too!!

If the authorities know there's still a body in there, letting people know is the decent thing to do. Not only does it have biohazard potential, there's the ick factor involved, too.

If the authorities know there's still a body in there, letting people know is the decent thing to do. Not only does it have biohazard potential, there's the ick factor involved, too.

How do you prove a negative?

They have found no trace of a body. They cannot "know" there is a body in there, unless they find a trace. Our finest cave divers have searched every accessible inch. I believe there is not a body in the cave.

:hm: That doesn't mean there won't be a ghost, though . . . .

This can happen with any water death/drowning (if that is actually what happened; and we do not know this for sure). If someone drowns on a lake or river, for example, and the body is not found, then once any investigation is done, the waterway (section) is back open to the public. There is no specific "alert" to tell people that there may be a body around, or even that they might find a body, even though they normally do turn up at some point in the future and oftentimes it is recreational folks who find them.

It would seem less likely that someone in the cave (especially the "general public") would "stumble on" a body than it would for the same thing to happen on a river or lake. And it would seem that the strong flow would eliminate any biohazard, for all practical purposes.

Last edited:

There is more "bio hazard" in the creeks we played in as kids, flooded streets, etc, than in Vortex, assuming there is a corpse back in the system. Something so far not even the best in the biz have been able to confirm, which says a whole lot IMO.

Beyond that, I'd bet very few who dive vortex springs in the future will be unaware there 'may be' a body in the cave system - signs posted or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom