General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh. Settle down people. I believe he is in the cave. Because nothing else points to him being anywhere else than in the cave. I am not saying he is in the back.

I just don't see where the guy is in Mexico since he so cleverly (stupidly) set himself up for failure from the get go.

And stealing air was not my invention. Off to work now. Happy infighting.

Still think most of ya'll are good people.:wink:

Last edited:
And when you think it through, that would still be his fault as he knew he shouldn't have been past the gate...

But let's play devil's advocate. Someone would then have to remove Ben's body, his tanks and gear without anyone noticing. Not likely.

No the aliens got him and he is drinking cerveza's on an unknown planet.

Yes...if he is in the cave...it is definitely all his fault. But, he may be a non air stealing, non hinge altering dead guy. I'm just saying.

I'd guess she just can't imagine him whooping it up in Mexico, so she's trying to pursue the only other logical explanation. She's keeping the conversation on track and adding some spice to it!

Edit. ^Whoops! wrote it while Aloha was posting^

If its a hoax, I don't think he's in Mexico. I think he'd still be nearby, cowering and trying to figure out what to do because, like cave diving, he got himself into something that he has no idea how to get out of.

I did see mention in some old threads from 3 or 4 years ago that there was a sand bank in the champagne room that was 50' high held up by flow, and that sand slides were a concern. That would be a good argument for the metal detector going in. But I agree with others that Vortex should just be his tomb. Adds character to the place.

Sounds reasonable to me.

I'd guess she just can't imagine him whooping it up in Mexico, so she's trying to pursue the only other logical explanation. She's keeping the conversation on track and adding some spice to it!

Edit. ^Whoops! wrote it while Aloha was posting^

If its a hoax, I don't think he's in Mexico. I think he'd still be nearby, cowering and trying to figure out what to do because, like cave diving, he got himself into something that he has no idea how to get out of.

Like that idea too!!!

There's really no proof he's in the cave either though, nothing substantial for sure. If he is in there, he's hidden well. I'm not saying he's not in the cave, but definately not in the back...

There's no proof of anything, really.

There's really no proof he's in the cave either though, nothing substantial for sure. If he is in there, he's hidden well. I'm not saying he's not in the cave, but definately not in the back...

There's no proof of anything, really.

No one has talked about the broken line lately.
How far back was the line broken? Are there any slide areas near there?

No one has talked about the broken line lately.
How far back was the line broken? Are there any slide areas near there?
I though someone said that was a misquote from Marson. I suppose you could PM him on Fb or cdf (marsonk) if you want to get it firsthand.

I have to wonder about the whole sand slide scenario. I rode dirt bikes and a Banshee in the sand on the Oregon coast and in Idaho for years. Even on really long steep hill climbs when you are really throwing sand, the sand itself doesn't slide very quickly. I have also watch sand shifting off a cliff edge while diving in Cozumel. It also moves very slowly. Its not like liquid mud or snow. He would have had to be trapped and not moving to be buried under any kind of sand fall. Even then, I think it would just push him to the surface of the slide. He should have been close to neutral if he was moving at all. From the pics of his gear, it didn't look like he was carrying a large amount of extra weight. To be buried, he would have had to be pinned in one spot.

Now that I've read the whole thread, here is my comment:

The most interesting part of the investigation will probably not be in the water. I can't even begin to list all of the things I would want to know if I was the police or a lawyer in a lawsuit by the family.

On a macro level: Given the gear that he appears to have had, could he have gotten to or past the final restriction? If so, could he reasonably have expected to get back out? (I'm thinking about threads I've seen where the idea of a "one-last/one-way" dive was discussed.)

On a more practical level: What were his movements and actions in the 2 or 3 days before the final dive? Exactly what equipment did he have? (This goes to whether he could have gotten in and expected to get back out.) Keeping in mind that regulators should be serviced yearly, there may be a way of finding what services he got, and that would help establish what gear he had. As far as gear, remember internet purchases may be traceable through credit cards.

I suspect that if the family files suit, someone will have the resources to get good answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom