Gauges, gauges, gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jj_freelord:
I don't have a computer. Not too keen on having it on my wrist. One of the reasons I want it small and sleek, hydrodynamic-wise. Clip it to my chest someway. I don't like bricks either. Reminds me of swim training when I was 12.

And are these things available in the country (Manila preferably) without too much of a price difference from outside?
i was reading the thread chip posted, one of the preferences for a console is that it was "less likely to walk away" or get lost on a boat of strangers - this is they're diving reality

for local diving i'd do the opposite - i'd keep my comp on my wrist so as not to have to worry everytime how the bangkeros will handle my gear while changing tanks

some AI (air integrated or console) comps have quick release ports that allow you to snap it off the regulator hose but that's an amazingly expensive add-on to add to an already expensive toy

Jag

I second the small console deal. I have the scubapro mini spg and I like it coz it's compact. Always hated seeing those big hulking consoles dangling off divers. Also second the suggestions for wrist comp. Easier to look at, in my opinion and less chances of banging it when your gear is on board.

jj_freelord:
Well, dear friends, with the bc stewing (read awaiting answers to dumb questions put to the manufacturer) my next frustration would be the big thing with ticks and numbers at the other end of the octo. I'm coveting the Veo 250 or 180 (small, sleek, sexy and a little over my budget). I'd like advice (as usual). I want, need, die for(?) a console+compass--analog maybe--that's just as small, sleek and sexy AND won't burn too big a hole in my pocket. Suggestions? Anyone with extras who'd like to unload them? :05:

i would not get a console. every time you want to know your depth you have to reach for it (maybe unclip it) and hold it (tying up the use of that hand momentarily) whereas with a wrist mounted computer or bottomtimer you can just look at your wrist as with a watch. for compass you could get a suunto mini compass. i have one for backup and it's nice when i'm too lazy to bring a bigger one with me - it cost $10 and clips to my computer wrist band. for pressure gauge i went with a regular brass spg because they are cheap, reliable and i don't need to look at that much anyway so it's okay clipped to my hip d-ring as opposed to my wrist. computers with hoseless pressure gauges are cooler, more streamlined, easier to travel with and easier to look at but they cost more and may not be reliable enough for your needs.

jj_freelord:
I don't like bricks either. Reminds me of swim training when I was 12.

oh my goodness, don't tell me you took bronze medallion???

btw, if a fully loaded console is your choice I respect that - like I said, to each their own and if you're bent on the console then I'd really recommend picking an IST gauge (Yomar's link). They are what you're looking for: small and sleek, hydrodynamic-wise. They are available here (saw them in a couple of shops already mentioned) and they are competitively priced vs. outside and even vs. the internet (my regulator set was cheaper than what was quoted on the internet :14: ). Happy hunting!

edit: here's a link of all the major shops around the manila area:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1368468&postcount=23

@ spoon: thank you master. :wink:

jj_freelord:
I don't have a computer. Not too keen on having it on my wrist. One of the reasons I want it small and sleek, hydrodynamic-wise. Clip it to my chest someway. I don't like bricks either. Reminds me of swim training when I was 12.

And are these things available in the country (Manila preferably) without too much of a price difference from outside?

In reference to Philippine diving, I would strongly recommend AGAINST using a console mounted computer.

During the summer months your gear most likely will be sitting on the deck of the banca exposed to the hot sun between dives. If the face of the your dive computer, (which usually LCD), is accidentaly exposed for extended periods to the bright sun; this LCD display will fade to something unreadable over time.

(And yes, this has happened to me).:D

During night dives it would be a definite cluster****** if you're forced to have a flashlight on your right hand (since the console will fall from your left side), and having to switch between manipulating the inflator hose and checking the depth with your left hand during ascents. Moving the console to the right side does not work either because it might present itself as an entanglement hazard in the deployment of the octopus.

chip104:
oh my goodness, don't tell me you took bronze medallion???

btw, if a fully loaded console is your choice I respect that - like I said, to each their own and if you're bent on the console then I'd really recommend picking an IST gauge (Yomar's link).

Chip104, let's see. Bronze, sure off and on all the way to 2nd year college. Silvers, golds even when I was younger (way younger, hence that brick or should I say hollow block I had to carry above my head AND keep my head above water) :D

I respect everyone's suggestions and thanks so much for all of them. I'm a little stubborn and this is probably one of the few instances when I have a clear picture of what I want. I'll certainly take a look at the IST gauges and those dive shops will hear from me.

Twomixdiver:
In reference to Philippine diving, I would strongly recommend AGAINST using a console mounted computer.

During the summer months your gear most likely will be sitting on the deck of the banca exposed to the hot sun between dives. If the face of the your dive computer, (which usually LCD), is accidentaly exposed for extended periods to the bright sun; this LCD display will fade to something unreadable over time.

(And yes, this has happened to me).:D

During night dives it would be a definite cluster****** if you're forced to have a flashlight on your right hand (since the console will fall from your left side), and having to switch between manipulating the inflator hose and checking the depth with your left hand during ascents. Moving the console to the right side does not work either because it might present itself as an entanglement hazard in the deployment of the octopus.

i totally agree with gordon. same thing i learned from the guys here.

i used to have an oceanic console with spg, compass & versa computer. i boot mounted the compass and lent the versa to chip. my current spg is a mini scubapro i got on sale from Diver's Point, much like the IST that chip has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom