Scuba Gauge Talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL – I have not DMed a class in 20 yrs, I do understand what you’re saying though. It looks to me that a AI PC and transmitter starts at a minimum of ~$900.

Good computers are not cheap. Buy once, cry once.

Actually, no because I dive with my arms crossed, and tuck my gauges under my right armpit.

Always? What happens when you extend your arm to vent or add has to your BCD,or if you're pulling yourself down a line or maneuvering through a wreck? (For example).

So to those that “lost the gauges”

Do you guys not have a backup analog SPG?

I carry a small backup SPG on a hose that runs alongside my LP inflator.

Both my AI computer and my non-AI backup computer have a compass.

I do have a back up analog SPG that so far has only ever been used to quickly check the air pressure when hooking up to a tank.

Would be a great feature to streamline for sure

Good computers are not cheap. Buy once, cry once.

LOL – good one!

Always? What happens when you extend your arm to vent or add has to your BCD,or if you're pulling yourself down a line or maneuvering through a wreck? (For example).

I carry a small backup SPG on a hose that runs alongside my LP inflator.

When I dump air from BC, I pull on it (right handed). The last time I used a downline was at Texas Flower Gardens. All other diving that I can recall was free descent. Maneuvering through a wreck, would depend on the wreck, I find little pleasure in going into a wreck (usually just swim around it). Noone is perfect, but my buoyancy is pretty darn good – I can make the narrow exit of devils throat in Cozumel without ever using my arms for anything other than pointing my flashlight.

So a couple of followup questions:

1. Does a dive pc ever lose connectivity with the transmitter?

2. Does anyone here have the Mares Smart Air Wrist Computer with LED Transmitter?

Any opinions?

So, kicking this to the top.

What scuba PC do you guys use, and do you like about it, not like about it?

Is there a make/model that has AI, transmitter and compass all in one?

TIA

So, kicking this to the top.

What scuba PC do you guys use, and do you like about it, not like about it?

I used a "simple" Oceanic Geo 2.0 that I've had for like 8 years. Not AI but I don't have any use for AI. It does almost* everything I want, doesn't take up much space on my wrist and was very reasonably priced with "call-in discount" pricing.

*It would be nice if it has a full time illuminated screen so I didn't need to press a button to see it at night, but that doesn't seem to be something I'm willing to pay hundreds of bucks for.

Is there a make/model that has AI, transmitter and compass all in one?

Most AI computers nowadays are wireless, and many (maybe most) have a built in compass. All but hose mount AI (which I think are pretty rare now) will need a transmitter on the tank.

YW

I think your pc is more advanced than mine. I’m using an air only Oceanic Veo.. I do not need all the audible alarms and I do not do a ton of night dives to warrant the illuminated/backlit screen. I think the coolest thing would be to have a NDL time and a air-time remaining. An electronic compass would be way cool too.

The water in the SPG is very likely the reason why they sometimes explode when the air is turned on. The bourdon tube can become corroded and burst.

I like having a console with the SPG, compass, and computer for the reasons you mentioned. I nearly always set up my own gear so nobody is banging my stuff around. Not having a lot of faith in electronics I carry a bottom timer and a second depth gauge. Currently I am using a capillary depth gauge as it takes up almost no room and weighs nothing. The bottom timer is becoming standard for me after I had a dive watch get it's button pushed accidentally on two dives in one trip--I just haven't figured out a great place for it yet. I figure the capillary depth gauge is adequate for safety stops, and, if it ever becomes, necessary, decompression stops. My girlfriend likes having her computer on her wrist and recently we spent considerable time looking for it after a dive. If it was on her console this probably would not have happened. As for the standard, oil-filled bourdon tube depth gauge, they very rarely fail. The old ones that had the sea water go directly into the bourdon tube were lousy but with the oil-filed about all that can go wrong is for the case to break and the oil leaks out. I've never had a SPG fail but I did have one fill up with sea water. They tend to leak air at the hose connection after many years but usually they just need some new O-rings. I have a couple of computers I picked up on eBay for very little money and they are probably about 25 years old and they both still work so perhaps someday I'll begin to trust them. My new i300 crapped out in only about 8 months. My girlfriend's Mares Puck Pro seems to have gone bonkers when she went past 120 feet.

I do not need all the audible alarms I

Audible alarms on other diver's computers are one of the most annoying things I've had to deal with during dives. They're completely unnecessary as long as you monitor your gauges which every diver should be doing.

think the coolest thing would be to have a NDL time and a air-time remaining.

I use an older Oceanic VT Pro. Large minimalist type of screen with big numbers on the bottom showing dive time remaining based on the most limiting factor between NDL and tank gas. Doesn't get any easier than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom