Scuba Gauge Talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great ideas so far.

I think if she had a basic gauge console like mine with a SPG, PC and compass it would be good. She could then loan out the wrist mount pc to one of our kids when the travel with us…?

Any opinions on Cressi PCs?

But the biggest concern is that the computer is hammered by the crew assisting you in and out of the boat as the lift your rig out of the water.

Why would your computer and gauges get hammered as the crew assists you? It's attached to your body and your gauges are securely clipped off, right?

I have 2 solutions… I either climb onto the dive boat with my entire rig

Well, yes that's what most of us ablebodied divers do. My girlfriend hands off her gear to a crewmember because she's got neck/back issues, and I've never seen it slammed around or mishandled, although it might get shoved against the tank rack- but the gauges are on the sides towards the front. And the gauges are clipped off to protect them further.

but you have to strap that PC onto your wrist… That means one extra thing to put on and having to look at two different places for your dive info while you’re down.

My wrist computer uses bungies not a strap. It easily slides on and off and the bungies, being elastic, compensate for changes in density of the wetsuit with depth. Because it's air integrated I only look at one place while I'm down- my wrist.

So I’m a bit old school and I still think a compass is somewhat important (despite normally having a guide).

A compass is mandatory equipment. You never know when you might need it and it's good practice to use it regularly so you are familiar with it's use. Guides are known to occasionally lose the group, you may not always be diving with a guide, there are dozens of uses of a compass during a dive that are beyond the scope of this thread.

Depth Gauge: Do most of you have an analog depth gauge as a backup to the computer depth gauge?

I carry a second identical air integrated computer on a retractor in my BCD pocket as a backup computer/depth/pressure gauge.

Analog Pressure Gauge: No need to even discuss, as this is a 100% requirement. If I had an integrated pressure gauge to my pc, I would never fully trust it.

Well this is troubling. You've predetermined that an analog pressure gauge is mandatory and refuse to discuss it further, and you've blindly decided that an integrated dive computer gauge is somehow unreliable. Since you won't discuss it then there's no point in me wasting any bandwidth trying to convince you otherwise.

What is your current setup and why do you love it or hate it…?

Wrist mounted (with bungies- not straps) air integrated dive computer with identical computer safely tucked away on a retractor in my BCD pocket. Mini spg the size of a nickel on a thin miflex hose running alongside my LP inflator hose as backup to my two AI computers. Spare AI transmitter in my save-a-dive kit along with a spare 1st & 2nd stage regulator, extra mask straps and tools.

I do not have a gauge cluster at all- my configuration is what I would recommend for you given your concerns.

Analog Pressure Gauge: No need to even discuss, as this is a 100% requirement. If I had an integrated pressure gauge to my pc, I would never fully trust it.

I've been on four trips since I got my AI transmitter with never a hiccup. I'm about ready to just leave the SPG in the cabin as a back up.

It never seems to fail then grab your gear by the tank valve all in a rush and yank it up fast, then put it down in a secured spot on the dive boat (or dinghy). I’ve replaced the plastic screen protector 3-4x at $10 or so each. They get all scratched up and then you can’t read it until you’re underwater. I suppose a nice clip attaching it to my BC would help, almost as much as the neoprene pouch.

Re: the compass – I agree – mandatory. I use it most every dive unless the dive is so easy you’d never get lost.

Its not that I wouldn’t be open to any other pressure gauge, but analog gauges to me I feel would be most reliable, at least as a backup.

Thanks for the reply!

So, the wife’s SPG looks to be on its way out (there is water in it), and we’re looking at new gauges. The market has a ton of options, and I am struggling with what I would do if I was shopping for myself.

My thoughts:

1. Pressure gauge with compass and computer… This is my current set up (no analog depth gauge). It’s nice having the computer on my hose but it doesn’t come without its own drawbacks. Examples… Without quick disconnect, you’re forced to look at log / pc info attached to the rest of the regulator… Not a big deal. But the biggest concern is that the computer is hammered by the crew assisting you in and out of the boat as the lift your rig out of the water. I have 2 solutions… I either climb onto the dive boat with my entire rig, or when I have to hand over my gear, I tuck my console into a neoprene pouch I have clipped to my BC. I enter the water with it tucked in as well.

2. Pressure gauge with depth and compass, with a wrist mount dive computer. This is her current setup and my former setup… This pretty much guarantees safety for the dive computer… but you have to strap that PC onto your wrist… That means one extra thing to put on and having to look at two different places for your dive info while you’re down.

Compass: So I’m a bit old school and I still think a compass is somewhat important (despite normally having a guide). I do look at it often to get a feel for our direction, currents, proximity to the boat, etc. So yes, I will steer her towards having her own compass. Do most agree a compass is standard equipment? I could not imagine not having one.

Depth Gauge: Do most of you have an analog depth gauge as a backup to the computer depth gauge?

So I am struggling as to get her into a console like mine with analog pressure gauge, compass and computer and she’ll have to protect it with the neoprene pouch or should she get the cheapest 3 gauge analog set up and stay with her wrist mount dive pc…

BTW - the main reason for the neo pouch is because I got sick of replacing the scratched up screen protector plastic glass. Expensive for what it is and requires a 55 min ride to the scuba shop.

What is your current setup and why do you love it or hate it…?

Thanks in Advance

MC
Some great feedback above. I am in the "loose the console" group. We started with them in the 80's and eventually realized that they are heavy bricks. We eventually learned to hate it. Hosed AI is still a brick...

We eventually added wrist mounted non-AI computers (AI did not exist then). No need anymore for a mechanical depth gauge, but we dragged them around in our fancy consoles for a few more years even after we added redundant dive computers stuffed in BCD pockets...slow learners...Analog depth gauges now sit in a box in the closet. Worst thing is that our fancy Sherwood console also a depth timer that I dragged around for several years after getting a computer. I have a few of these in a cupboard somewhere - worth $10 each?

We finally figured out that we only used the console compass for a couple of readings on 1 or 2 dives each vacation trip - YMMV. So it needs to be in a special place: BCD pocket works fine now.

This leaves our "console" as a SPG on a hose (G&B or plastic - you choose). Our fancy new-ish 2 year old G&B spgs are still shiny looking and work as well as our 30 year old plastic SPGs. I used a plastic SPG outside of a console for about 5 years with no issues. If a G&B SPG fails then I would go cheap next time around, plastic of B&G which ever is cheapest. The only SPG issue is to make sure that it does have a relief valve on the back of the instrument.

P.S. None of my stuff have ever had screen protectors. I claim that if you think you need screen protectors then you need to think about something else first.

A compass is mandatory equipment. You never know when you might need it and it's good practice to use it regularly so you are familiar with it's use. Guides are known to occasionally lose the group, you may not always be diving with a guide, there are dozens of uses of a compass during a dive that are beyond the scope of this thread.
I claim a compass is situational. Some places it IS mandatory. Others places it is not ever required. Kind of like a snorkel?

If you happen to be diving an area with a distinctive depth profile then a compass is not really required. Sites with a "steep-ish profile" and sufficient visibility to discern deep water vs shallow water do not require a compass. Think most Bonaire & Belize divesites.

I claim a compass is situational. Some places it IS mandatory. Others places it is not ever required. Kind of like a snorkel

Right. So if you don't know when you're going to use it, you oughta have it available all the time. Even if you're going to pick and choose before each dive whether it's going in/on your BCD or in your parts bag. I keep a foldable snorkel in a BCD pocket on all dives. The compass is on a retractable slate in another pocket.

Kind of like a snorkel?

I take a snorkel on every trip, yet has not made it on a dive in almost 30 years. lol

If your gauges aren't clipped off you're probably replacing the protective covers because you're dragging them across the reef/wreck/bottom.

Actually, no because I dive with my arms crossed, and tuck my gauges under my right armpit.

-----------

So to those that “lost the gauges”….

You guys have an air integrated PC… The PC gives you dive time, depth, tank air level. Only thing you do not have is a compass in it?

Do you guys not have a backup analog SPG?

Back
Top Bottom