G15 or G1X? Just broke my S95 and need a replacement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thegrandpoohbah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I just broke my S95. Given what new ones cost now (if you can even find one) it doesn't seem feasible to replace it. Which really sucks because I have a WP-DC38 that is in pretty good condition. I am keeping my eyes open for a used one but I'm not holding my breath.

So the question now is G15 or G1X? My research thus far has concluded the following: G15 wins for faster lens, less shutter lag and better macro. The G1X wins for better image quality and better high ISO. So which would be better suited for snorkeling and (eventually) scuba diving?

I'm guessing that if I eventually get a strobe system, that will pretty much negate any advantage the G1X has as far as high ISO noise handling. Looking at my snorkeling pictures from a recent trip to Grand Cayman, the highest ISO I used was 200.

I would get a 2ndhand S95
If you want to spend some money get a Sony RX100 if you want to go for a bargain see if you can find an S100

I would not get either of those cameras you mention they are not a like for like for the S95 are more bulky and have several limitations especially the G1X

I just upgraded from a G9 to a G15 and am super happy with the camera for the one dive trip I've used it on. I'm not running into the limitations that Interceptor21 I seeing, and have some fabulous shots from it. Also it works well on the land

I decided on the G15 because after playing with the G1X at the local aquarium (not underwater, but the closest I could do here) and was not happy with the macro perf, or how slowly it focused, you should try some tests if you can.

Interceptor is correct that those cameras are not like for like of the S95, my OPINION is that they're better, the hot shoe allowing full wired TTL strobes for one. Does the S95 shoot RAW? if not then that's a definite bonus

The S95 had much better capabilities of the G series
Some examples shot recently to give an idea of the ambient light wide angle you can get with the S95, all shots were RAW, the processor of the S95 is the same of the G12 and the processor of the S110 is the same of the G15
Grenada - a set on Flickr

The RX100 is a better camera than all Canons and fits in a pocket.

If you want something that instead is slightly heavier and has spectacular macro and still take some wide angle lenses I would look at a Panasonic LX7
I have used all those cameras and for stills I would recommend the RX100 if you do more video or like macro more the LX7

Canon latest compacts are good but not the most leading edge either in terms of image processing or lens quality. If you shoot with an LX7 for example you get real bracketing even in Program mode

For me photography has to allow for all shooting situations and the G15 is the first G series that has a wet wide angle lens but only for close wide angle so all the wrecks shot you see taken with the S95 would not be an option

I just upgraded from a G9 to a G15 and am super happy with the camera for the one dive trip I've used it on. I'm not running into the limitations that Interceptor21 I seeing, and have some fabulous shots from it. Also it works well on the land

I decided on the G15 because after playing with the G1X at the local aquarium (not underwater, but the closest I could do here) and was not happy with the macro perf, or how slowly it focused, you should try some tests if you can.

Interceptor is correct that those cameras are not like for like of the S95, my OPINION is that they're better, the hot shoe allowing full wired TTL strobes for one. Does the S95 shoot RAW? if not then that's a definite bonus

Pretty much agree re G15 (no experience with G1X). The G15 is the first digital camera I have really liked.

You can pick up a used S95 from Adorama. I recently bought a used S90 and it was in excellent condition. I use the Ikelite housing and the extra costs of getting new housings and accessories was more than I wanted to pay. The reason I bought the S90 and will stick with that series is the nice compact size, with the full set of features.

You can pick up a used S95 from Adorama. I recently bought a used S90 and it was in excellent condition. I use the Ikelite housing and the extra costs of getting new housings and accessories was more than I wanted to pay. The reason I bought the S90 and will stick with that series is the nice compact size, with the full set of features.

I have a used S90 and canon underwater case if you like;-) I have a G11 that I use for underwater work and have used the S90 for all around handy surface camera to take anywhere. I am interested in getting the more updated Canon S series for that purpose.

Interceptor121, what lighting was used in those pictures you linked to?

I looked at Adorama for a used S95 but they want $249. I have a line on a used one from a forum member here. Just working out some details. Also trying to contact Canon to see what the price of a replacement LCD is. Thanks for all the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom