G15 or G1X? Just broke my S95 and need a replacement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without going into the wired ttl vs optical
CHDK on a camera is not used to have raw but to get ttl in manual
Why canon doesn't enable this feature is a mystery but ttl in manual is useful
And this is not about getting technical there are some shots there that prove the point from a canon s95 and an rx100
I still have to see any decent wide angle from a canon G series except when the port is completely replaced as it used to happen with the fix housing
I am not sure why would I limit the shots I can take just in the name of being stubborn and shooting 20 years with the same type of camera
Go and try something else and you will be surprised
Funny as people that have not actually tested those cameras as I have can have an opinion
Is adversity to change: you have done something all along an you think you were right but don't want to try something different as you are afraid to discover that maybe you were wrong
Nauticam does some test days where you can shoot all those cameras I think the best is to try for yourself and then once you have done see what's the score
And back to the op question there is more to cameras than canon go and try out
Also I don't appreciate the rethorical ganging up of mr haas here sorry but your are out of scope this time you better read into the posts I detail before coming up with master of the obvious type of statements

Interceptor121,

Sorry you feel I am "piling on" by expressing MY OPINION as you do for over 2,359 post according to the number by your name (I note you don't list your REAL NAME as I and many people do.)

If we were to travel and dive together I'm sure we would have lively friendly debates over a beer or whatever :)

The point last night was that all the specification wrangling and you pushing your OPINION as to what is "best" gets tiring :( Someone comes on and says they are happy with their new Canon S series or G-series camera and you state the Sony RX100 (sold for $650.00 here in the US) is the ONLY camera people should consider!

Basically telling them they're an idiot.........Which is blatantly false.............

Many, many underwater shooters are using smaller sensor cameras at low ISO in various shooting modes with multitudes of flash options capturing photos to share on the web, print coffee table books and more.

As to doing the same thing for 20 years (not sure if that was for me or coralcruiser) I've changed digital cameras since 2001 many, many times.......Bought and sold several small sensor plus SLR models which is why I feel qualified to give simple easy to understand advice.

I have never hid the fact I'm also an Ikelite dealer BUT ACTUAL USER of their products and can appreciate different manufacturer's designs.The Nauticam line and others do have some great features but at varying COSTS especially when accessories can add up to as much as a SLR system!

Everyone has a budget (well at least most people do) and sharing information on this site to help people make a decision and enjoy UW photography is the ONLY reason I participate here.

To be honest again many times it's a waste of my time............People go on and on about what they BOUGHT versus showing us how they used it well and their choice was a good one FOR THEM.

Every system can be tuned to deliver good results is all......

I'm not one to be enamored by titles but I notice you are a PADI MSDT (Master Scuba Diver Trainer) which is good. You must teach and help people enjoy diving in the UK. I long retired from being a lowly PADI OWSI in 1991, beginning diving in 1969 (!!!!!!)

So to say I've seen a lot of changes in diving and especially UW photography would be an understatement. I freely confess to not knowing EVERYTHING but read and keep myself up on technical changes then distill them down to what will simply help people. That's my approach and I know it's not the only one out there but I find people seem to crave simple solutions in today's hectic world.

Keep sharing your opinion and so will the rest of us so people can get a variety of ideas and hopefully enjoy diving and UW photography :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_7874.jpg
    IMG_7874.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 239
I did not say that everybody should get an RX100 otherwise they are an idiot and I am not giving recommendation on what camera to get here in general.
When I was saying about not knowing about the cameras and not using them I was not pointing at you but at coralcruiser whose supposed macro pictures can be taken with any compact camera without a close up lens.
So I was not aiming at you Mr David Haas on that specific and the reason I am under interceptor121 is because it has always been like that since 25 years I am not afraid of anybody knowing who I am etcetera is just personal taste. But you can't come to me and say that I am measturbating about camera features as that is not the case here at all.

The op had a very specific question about replacing a canon S95 a camera that I still own and asked about options for replacement, the canon G15 is a fine camera on land with some limitations, it is not cheap at $450 RRP is quite bulky compared to an S95 and has got some limitations that the S95 does not have.
The G15 is not a 'replacement' S95 the closest to this is a canon S110 however the RX100 does fit in a pocket and it is similar in size to the S95/S100 even the housing are similar in size so if the op is going to spend $450 for a G15 why not spend $650 for an RX100 considering that the housings are actually cheaper and the money comes back?
So the answer to the question replacement of the S95 like for like is Canon S110 but if you can afford it get a Sony RX100. Getting a G15 will not give the same experience of the S95 and most likely will not allow to reuse any wet lenses that the op may have, the RX100 can take all accessories for the S95 in full, I can tell you that because this is exactly what I have done and I have quite a few people recycling most of their S95 set up with the RX100 including strobes, trays lenses etcetera

I was also checking and the op is actually wanting something for snorkeling and scuba and most definitely will go with a OEM housing. Definitely get an S100/S110 in canon or ikelite at least those are not bulky and not too positive which is another issue of all G series housing

Last edited:
Interceptor...you brought me up in your reply to David without even knowing if I have tried other cameras or not. The fact is that I, like David, have shot with various oly, pany and nikon digital cameras AND, if you read what I posted, I noted that my preference is the G15 and that my preference is macro as you can get great shots without a dipoter, which you do need with the sony. If I were a WA person, I probably would be using a different system but that is not what the poster was asking about.

The title of this thread is G15 or G1X.... so in responding to his posting, I gave my opinion.

You post here and on wetpixel and in all your postings, push your opinion and tech knowledge and when someone offers their opinion are quick to shoot it down with negative comments.

Loved my G10 and love my G15 even more. Would not bother with the RX100 since it's not good for macro...which is my favorite type of shot... and, IMO too pricey.

Bought a nauticam housing for my G15 so if you do buy it and want the canon housing (used for 15 dives) with spare o-ring just pm me. :)

Yours was just an attempt to sell some piece of equipment you have sitting in your cupboard by criticizing a piece of equipment you have not even tried so that you have a chance of sale? There is a classified section for that

That says a lot about who is being negative, majority of the things I write here or elsewhere are factual not commentary based on 2nd hand feedback or gossip especially as my shots are there out in the open pretty much each month

Yours was just an attempt to sell some piece of equipment you have sitting in your cupboard by criticizing a piece of equipment you have not even tried so that you have a chance of sale? There is a classified section for that

That says a lot about who is being negative, majority of the things I write here or elsewhere are factual not commentary based on 2nd hand feedback or gossip especially as my shots are there out in the open pretty much each month

If I really wanted to sell my housing, I would post it in the classifieds so don't go jumping to conclusions!! Obviously, I am not in any rush to sell it as it is NOT in the classifieds.

Once again, you're quick to slam a posting just proving my point.

I'm glad you like the equipment you shoot with and let those of us that use something different be happy with what we use!

Since I have no desire to hijack this thread, I'll simply stop responding to your posts

lol, this thread went sideways pretty quickly...

Thanks for the input everyone. I sourced a broken (lens error) S95 on POTN and will be using it as an organ donor to replace my LCD screen. The bonus is I will have an extra charger and battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom