G15 or G1X? Just broke my S95 and need a replacement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you read Inon webpage it says Wide Macro Lens

INON Wide Conversion Lens UWL-S100 ZM80 [Spec]

It won't focus at infinity it seems

"Unique optical design allows to shorten minimum focal distance with ultra wide view angle thus effective for wide macro shot."

It says the same thing for the UWL-H100 INON Wide Conversion Lens UWL-H100 28LD [Overview]

"Unique optical design allows to shorten minimum focal distance with ultra wide view angle thus effective for wide macro shot."

The difference is in the specs table
If you look at a traditional range you have a focus range table
Focus Range / Vignetting
Mfr.Camera
(*5)
Housing
(*5)
Focus range [at wide end]Vignetting
[at wide end](*5)(*7)
without lens(*4)with UWL-H100 28LD
(*8)
with
UWL-H100 28LD
+
Dome Lens Unit
(*8)
UnderwaterAir
Normal
mode
Macro
mode
Normal
mode
Macro
mode
Normal
mode
Macro
mode
UWL-
H100
28LD
UWL-
H100
28LD
+
Dome
UWL-
H100
28LD
CanonPowerShot S110WP-DC47 None
(*10)
(*10)
(*12)
(*6)
PowerShot D20WP-DC45 None(*6)(*6)
PowerShot S100WP-DC43 None
(*10)
(*10)
(*11)
(*9)
PowerShot S95WP-DC38infinity-
5cm
50cm-
5cm
infinity-
0cm
20.2cm-
0cm
infinity-
0cm
51.6cm-
0cm
None(*6)(*6)
PanasonicLUMIX FT5MCFT5infinity-
30cm
infinity-
5cm
infinity-
10.5cm
infinity-
0cm
infinity-
11.2cm
infinity-
0cm
None(*6)(*6)
LUMIX FT4
LUMIX FT3
MCFT3infinity-
30cm
infinity-
5cm
infinity-
10.5cm
infinity-
0cm
infinity-
11.2cm
infinity-
0cm
None(*6)(*6)

The lens will have all in focus say between infinity and 0 or 10 cm

Looking at the spec of the zoom lenses
Actual shooting distance (from lens surface) and camera's focus setting
Shooting distance
[from front edge of the lens] (*5)
Focus position (*4)
0mm280mm
19.3mm500mm
28.1mm600mm
36.9mm700mm
63.2mm1000mm
107.1mm1500mm
238.7mm3000mm

So instead of going from 0 to infinity when you are focussed at 30 meters here your focus position is 23 cm. It looks like the zoom wide mechanism does not work the same of a normal lens and you don't have everything in focus

I may be wrong but Chile tried some shots in the distance had they came blurred, I have not yet seen a natural light shot taken with this lens with something in the distance that is in focus

I may be wrong but Chile tried some shots in the distance had they came blurred, I have not yet seen a natural light shot taken with this lens with something in the distance that is in focus

I've seen one or two shots with a focused background, but there's no way for me to tell distance (it could have only been a meter or two). I've got one on order. Once I get my hands on it I'll try to do some wreck shots with it and post the results.

unfortunately, wrecks here are a bit deeper...the closest i could get was this...about 10-15ft away maybe. can't remember now.

Loved my G10 and love my G15 even more. Would not bother with the RX100 since it's not good for macro...which is my favorite type of shot... and, IMO too pricey.

Bought a nauticam housing for my G15 so if you do buy it and want the canon housing (used for 15 dives) with spare o-ring just pm me. :)

I am partially responsible of the poor macro reputation of the RX100. What it really meant is that out of the box the performance is quite poor but with a diopter it is pretty good as you can see from this Pontohi that is 1cm

Pontoh's pygmy seahorse by northwest diver, on Flickr
The RX100 is infinitely better than the G15 and any canon compact, yes it might have less powerful out of the box macro but the quality of the images is so much better
Also the video of the canon compacts is pathetic and still has no manual controls
The op asked for a replacement of an S95 a great little camera I know very well. The S95 allows you to take ALL possible shots as if it was a DSLR except can't do bokeh and so does the RX100 at improved quality and fits in a pocket
The G15 is a heavier camera that still can't do proper ambient light wide angle because of the lenses and has a 1/1.7" sensor there is not actually that much of an improvement over the S95 it is more bulky and it is not cheap there are many other better options if you want a more sophisticated camera. I have a Panasonic LX7 that is very similar to the G15 in terms of being more bulky and has a wired TTL and the controls, image quality and video quality are so much better than any canon
I have Canon for over 10+ years but I have to say they are not the leading edge at this time

Last edited:
Interceptor... it would be nice, for once, if you allowed us to voice our opinions without your trying to force yours as the one that needs to be accepted!

I have been shooting UWP for over 20 years and when it comes to a P+S cameras, think that the G15 is top notch for a person that loves to shoot macro!

I just almost bust a gut laughing at all this "measurbating" between camera choices.......Ha ha ha...........

The Sony RX100 has a bigger sensor and fast AF but not good macro out of the gate without spending more $$$$ for accessories. Sony made a fast focussing bigger sensor camera but the menus and adjustment requirements blow :(

There's just no other way to say it compared to Canon menus and adjustability.........The Canon G15 has a super fast f1.8 -2.8 lens and yes, smaller 1/1.17 sensor but at lower ISO of 80 - 100 and good exposure delivers great photos.

Doesn't matter if you shoot manual / S-TTL or TTL in an Ikelite hard wired TTL housing (with Ikelite DS strobes) or full manual the Cano G15 will produce nice files to make prints up to 11 X 14.

For online sharing? The file size and such is a no brainer..........

These forums are becoming more gear intensive versus shooting technique. CDHK is another pet peeve.

While RAW file capture can help it won't turn crap into art :) Why in the hell would download CDHK to a camera that already DOES RAW files? Simply silly and more measurbating specs and not real world shooting.......

I don't know about you but once I'm underwater I better have a planned subject, proper lens / flash set up in mind or it's a wasted photo dive :(

Then again these days I don't obsess as much about "getting the shot" as I did back in the film or even early digital days.

It ain't the gear that'll make the difference but using your camera more above and below learning its strengths and weaknesses.

YMMV........

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_8805.jpg
    IMG_8805.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 209
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom