Avanti Quattro + vs X-Stream vs RK3 vs Supernova - help me choose my next fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Hippopotamus

I have been diving Dive Rite XTs for many years, perfect fin for me. They are slightly negative, quite powerful, great for alternative kick, I mostly frog kick.

I use size large, 26.5 inch, 67 cm long.

Note that "power" comes from leg muscles. The fins are merely transducers that convert muscle movement to forward propulsion.

In general, the stiffer the fin, especially with high sides (to limit side-to-side movement), the more efficient this transfer and the greater the forward propulsion per flutter kick stroke.

But, it leg muscles are not strong enough to drive the fins, then the stiffness of the fins will promote increased fatigue, cramping, and shorter bottom time.

If using a fin too flexible for the leg muscles, putting power to the fin will simply fold the fin and muscle effort is wasted,

and finally, make sure there is a snug fit between the diver's foot covering and the fin ' cause a loose fit wastes power and may promote fin loss while too snug a fit makes removing the fin in open water a bit problematic. (i.e. I use different sized fins depending on whether I am driving wet or dry)

Bottom line: Its best to match fin to leg muscles. and this is best confirmed by observation and experience 'cause no fin is perfect for all divers in all situations.

For what little its worth, I have used both Power Plana Avanti and Quattro fins in both calm and extreme currents and I am quite pleased with both. I am currently using the Quattro 'cause after 2 decades oi use, my Plana fins have been retired.

RiverRat?????? OMG, this is most incredible!!! I can't believe it. Please confirm.

CMDR, I am indeed the "river rat" from the grand old days of GEnie.

What a glorious day!!! How are you my friend? I am glad to see you here. This is so exciting indeed.

I'll send you a PM later this evening. We have so much catching up to do my friend.

Are you on FB?

My large Quattro + are 25.5 inches. My X-large Quattros are 25.5 inches. I forgot the XL are not +'s.

• travel-friendly (i.e. not too big, they must fit in a suitcase and be a maximum of 62 cm long)
That last point rules out the Mares Avanti Quattro +. They're great and what you want, but are 70-72 cm (depending on size - I know that, because I had them)
For what it's worth, my wife and I both travel with the Quattro. They fit in a large, standard size suitcase, and for sure a soft roller bag. Great fin! My wife has dived the Quattro for over 20 years. I'm a newer convert after trying a pair and couldn't believe it took me that long to make the switch. I just didn't know! :) Now I teach in them and dive with them exclusively. Very good control and power.

• travel-friendly (i.e. not too big, they must fit in a suitcase and be a maximum of 62 cm long)
That last point rules out the Mares Avanti Quattro +. They're great and what you want, but are 70-72 cm (depending on size - I know that, because I had them)
I travel with my Quattro's all the time and they have never caused an issue. You won't find a much better all around fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom