Future-proof gear for newcomer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I need some help future-proofing my investment so I can use it for a while without expensive upgrades or replacements.
A good way to think about it, as several have said. There is no guarantee about the future, and there will be some changing over time - you will probably see your own preferences evolve as you gain experience. The responses also provide a window on some of the brand preferences that play into these discussions. Personally, I have my own and they reflect primarily what our shop carries (and therefore what I get a good price on). But, it is hard to say that one brand is uniformly better than all the rest - there are a number of solid, reliable brands out there. From my perspective, local service availability is more important than brand. Even if you get to the point of servicing all your own gear having a local parts supplier is useful, notwithstanding the pervasive influence of online buying.
1) would it be a good idea to get a modular harness like Hollis instead of BCD right away so it can be used for tec and upgraded in years to come?
A backplate and wing is probably the most modular rig you can choose at this point, and a new recreational diver is well served by doing so. You are also well-served by avoiding 'deluxe' harnesses, and going with a simple (one piece) web harness, without padding. Lots of threads on the BP/W subject on SB.
2) Computer. Is it a good idea to get a top trimix enabled wireless computer right away? I would rather pay a bit more now then drop another few grand in a year or so. Or is trimix is way out of regular person's reach?
Dive computer technology continues to rapidly evolve. Today's newest, glitziest triimix computer is tomorrow's eBay special (and I bought two of mine on eBay, at very substantial savings). This area is therefore more challenging to future-proof. I agree with the suggestions to start with a simple, functional, nitrox-enabled, wrist-mounted, non-AI computer that can be used in gauge mode as well as computer mode. From my perspective, an ideal unit will also have a display large enough and uncluttered enough to read underwater, in dim light. I personally like have an elapsed time display that gives me seconds, not just minutes, but that is not as common a feature. When you progress to the point of trimix diving, select another, additional computer at that point. Even if that is only 2 years from now, your choices will probably be somewhat different than they are today. AI is a convenience, not a necessity. User-replaceable batteries are a 'nice-to-have' but not essential, either. I have one trimix computer with a rechargeable battery - works just fine for me. I have two other trimix computers with batteries that are supposed to be replaced by an 'authorized service center', but which I replace myself. That works just fine for me as well.
3) Regulator. Does it make sense to look for something with nitrox above 40% or better get a comfortable one? Is it really needed to have it above 40? Can regular 40% nitrox regulator be used for introductory tec and trimix?
Most regulators come from the manufacturer ready for 'nitrox' service, e.g. up to 40% O2). Most good regulators can be then cleaned for oxygen service. Don't pay for that before you need it. There are multiple, mid-level regulators available across brand lines that will serve you well. Buy something now that is fully functional for recreational diving, and plan to expand your regulator collection as you move to tec. As several have suggested, start with a configuration that includes two equivalent / identical, well-performing second stages, as well as a long hose for the primary and a bungeed necklace for the alternate, get used to diving that way, and you will never look back.

You can 'future proof' to an extent. But, you should still expect to a) add some gear over time, b) replace some gear as your preferences change, and c) occasionally suffer from pangs of 'woulda, coulda, shoulda' regret. That's the nature of diving.

Oh wow. So much information to research. Thank you guys. Seems like the discussion of regs and comps alone can start a flame war, so thank you for your input. Gives me better idea what to look for. But I still have a question: which bp/w should i be looking for?

DSS has a veeeeryyyy nice price tag but it sooo basic. I mean....i understand that less is sometimes more, but am a geeky type, like functional devices. Few pockets, padding for warm water dives and at least basic weight pockets seem to be really nice to have.......then comes the Halcyon. Twice the price of DSS but wouldn't DSS cost the same when upgraded to the level of lets say Halcyon Eclipse? Then we have the "big brand" harnesses like Scubapro x-tek that costs around the same as Halcyon. Is it all about gimmicks or it does have a point? Also just wondering, in some diving articles the brand Hollis sounds like a big deal but nowhere I could find good feedback on their bp/w neither anyone suggested it. Is it crap?

Pockets are way better on your thighs, where you can actually reach things. There is NO NEED for any padding, even for warm tropical, no exposure protection diving. Besides, the padding just requires more weight to sink in the first place. Weights should be on a belt and not making the unit more cumbersome.

You see, us geeky types WANT and VALUE the DSS-style simplicity.

So throng an unpadded basic DSS on a naked torso isn't bad? Do you use a separate weight belt or just put them on a harness itself? What's all the fuss around the Halcyon systems?

So throng an unpadded basic DSS on a naked torso isn't bad? Do you use a separate weight belt or just put them on a harness itself? What's all the fuss around the Halcyon systems?

No problem without padding. Separate weight belt. Halcyon is the big name you pay big bucks for. Personally, I don't see any value in the extra cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Halcyon is to Scubapro what tech is to rec.

They both make really good quality gear but there is a premium added to having a pretty H or S.

Did I do that right?

Halcyon is to Scubapro what tech is to rec.

This is not. A lot of tech diver use scubapro regulators. Scubapro X-tec series is actually rebadge Halcyon bp/w. Halcyon regulators are rebadge scubapro. So in some area, Halycon = scubapro.

They both make really good quality gear but there is a premium added to having a pretty H or S.

Good quality is true. I kind of understand why H charges premium. But I don't know why S should

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 12:28 AM ----------

Geeky type or not, start with basic harness, weight belt, no pockets, simple bp/w. If you really find you need them, you can always get them. Chances are you will never miss them.

I dive with a basic harness in warm water with just a rashy every opportunity I can. There's nothing as freeing underwater than a basic harness (well apart from Monkey diving). You really don't need that padding.

Where the weight goes depends - in warm water, ali 80, not much if any neoprene, I basically need little weight (2kg) just to offset the tank so it goes in weight pockets on the tank. At home with a drysuit or lots of neoprene I wear a weightbelt as well.

Halcyon gear is very nicely made and well thought out. My first Halcyon purchase was one of their DSMB's. They were like 3 times the price to the ones that I had owned, but after borrowing one and using it once, it was so much easier to use that when I got home I went out and bought one and relegated my other ones to spares. I recently bought my first Halcyon rig for a doubles set and am very impressed with the quality compared to the 4 other setups I have. But any BPW will do - that's part of the beauty of them. There's nothing to go wrong or break and any part is easily replaced - single piece webbing, a couple of triglides and d-rings, and you are done.
If you want to bling it up, get a coloured plate, change the colour of the webbing (e.g Webbing) etc and remember that

Why using separate weight belt and not few weight pockets on harness? Is it sitting too high?

Why using separate weight belt and not few weight pockets on harness? Is it sitting too high?

Not really.

Part of the joy of BP/W diving is the lack of "stuff" on the BC and the resulting hydrodynamics. A belt is smooth and thin, the weight being evenly distributed. The pockets are bulky and protrude.

Also, when cold water diving, you want to be somewhat neutral if you have to ditch and don underwater. Plus, added weight to the BC doesn't make it any easier to handle on shore or on the boat, especially during tank switches.

In short, there really isn't any compelling need for integrated weights. That phenomenon is largely an artifact of marketing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom