thinking about the future tec dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to go for a Hydros, the 50 pound version is better than the 40 pound version, particularly if you ever plan on diving wet. I find the minimum lift to be 45 pounds for serious technical diving for me. I like to keep my head well above the water. But, you are not likely to be able to use the 50 pound Hydros version with a single tank due to the tacoing effect.

I am sure that I will get a lot of nasty comments about the following, as usual. As many have said in the past, the best solution is to have a wing for one tank and a wing for twinsets. But if you only want to take one wing with you, for weight savings and convenience, the Dive Rite REC is a possibility. The Dive Rite REC with 45 pounds of lift is specifically designed to be used with either a single tank or a twinset. But you have to take special precautions to prevent tacoing with a single tank. The Dive Rite REC is one of the few wings that has factory installed loops to help prevent tacoing. You have to use those loops to pin the wing to the plate. If you do not do that, the air does not distribute properly due to the tacoing effect and you will have buoyancy control issues. If you use a much larger wing specifically designed only for doubles, you will probably have a taco buoyancy problem no matter what you do.

On any given trip, I will dive both recreationally with a single tank and technically with a twin set and don't want to carry excess gear. I only have to put on a single tank adapter.

Fairly new diver here thinking about the future and there is a plan to slowly go into tech diving. ...
Do you know what kind of "tech diving" you hope to pursue? Deco dives on deep Caribbean walls will require different gear than freshwater cave diving in FL, which will require different gear than deco dives on deep Great Lakes shipwrecks, for example.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom