Future-proof gear for newcomer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip the Air Integrated / wireless computer and go for a Hollis DG03 for $250 + $20 for bungee mount. You can use it as a bottom timer down the road and is far cheaper then "another few grand".

+1

A simple computer is a much better investment, and make sure the batteries are user replaceable for anything you get.

1) would it be a good idea to get a modular harness like Hollis instead of BCD right away so it can be used for tec and upgraded in years to come?
Yes, if you are positive that you are going Tek.
2) Computer. Is it a good idea to get a top trimix enabled wireless computer right away? I would rather pay a bit more now then drop another few grand in a year or so. Or is trimix is way out of regular person's reach?
Yes, you can buy a Scubapro Galileo Sol. Trimix is a Free up-grade!
3) Regulator. Does it make sense to look for something with nitrox above 40% or better get a comfortable one? Is it really needed to have it above 40? Can regular 40% nitrox regulator be used for introductory tec and trimix?
Your reg. can be O2 cleaned when you are ready. Go w/ Scubapro A700, S600 or G260 paired w/ a MK17 ( cold H2O ) or MK25.

Simple Scubapro! Buy the Best and you won't have to buy twice.

Be careful who you listen to. A BP/W is not just for tech diving. And it doesn't make sense to spend $1000 on a dive computer for a free upgrade to trimix that you might not ever need. $250 is a better value and you can use it as a backup or sell it when the time comes.

Not a sales pitch... just 13 years of experience as a diver knowing how to avoid bad sales pitches speaking.

Other Scubapro combinations to consider (rebuilt, updated) might be a Mk 5 or Mk 10 first stage with a 156 second and a 109 safety second. It's what I dive, and I can dive pretty much anything I want. Simple, beautiful, utterly reliable, and tuneable down to near zero effort. Diving in water less than 40F over freezing air temps? Mk 15 or Mk 17 first stage.

Keep everything sleek and simple. This is not chess; don't try to plan three moves ahead.

just 13 years of experience as a diver speaking.
Wow! I only have you beat by 27 years.

BTW, How old are you?:D

Simple Scubapro! Buy the Best and you won't have to buy twice.

Do you ever have anything to add to a discussion other than "buy Scubapro gear, it's the best"?

Seriously, dude... It's tiresome.

Wow! I only have you beat by 27 years.

I take it I'm supposed to kiss your ring and give you $1000 while I do it, right?

13 years is enough to know how things work... I don't need 27 years of the same year of experience.

Do you ever have anything to add to a discussion other than "buy Scubapro gear, it's the best"?

Seriously, dude... It's tiresome.
I have been diving Scubapro gear for 40 years/200 dives/year. Yes, 8,000 dives! I sell it because I truely believe in it!

Why wouldn't you sell/promote the Best? I guess I'm the one who should be tired.

Hi folks. My dream recently came true and I got myself underwater. I'm planning to go to few dedicated diving trips next year and since I'm gonna be diving a lot in a nearby future I've decided to buy my own gear. My budget allows to go pretty hi-end but I wanna be as smart about it as possible. I'm really looking forward to learning more and going deeper and doing some caves and wrecks in the next year or two. So I need some help future-proofing my investment so I can use it for a while without expensive upgrades or replacements.

1) would it be a good idea to get a modular harness like Hollis instead of BCD right away so it can be used for tec and upgraded in years to come?

2) Computer. Is it a good idea to get a top trimix enabled wireless computer right away? I would rather pay a bit more now then drop another few grand in a year or so. Or is trimix is way out of regular person's reach?

3) Regulator. Does it make sense to look for something with nitrox above 40% or better get a comfortable one? Is it really needed to have it above 40? Can regular 40% nitrox regulator be used for introductory tec and trimix?

Thanks!

1. It would be a good idea to get a bp/w for a single tank at the moment. Recommendation would be to get a one piece harness (OPH as it's commonly referred to). Once you move to a twinset, then all you need to switch out is the wing and you're good to go (plus add another first stage). Other brands to look at include: HOG, DSS, Halcyon, I believe dive right in scuba has their own brand of bp/w as well. I have a mixture of gear. My backplate is dive rite, twinset wing is halcyon, single wing is hog, and my harness is webbing I bought off the interwebs and put the hardware on myself.

2. Computer: simple bottom timer or something you can put into gauge mode (ex.: suunto vyper). Most of the technical and cave divers I know plan their dives using a decompression planning software.

3. Regulator: You can always have it O2 serviced when needed. You don't need the most expensive regs on the market. Most have the same internals. The more expensive, the more bling generally. Although some do have breathing adjustment knobs. I know on an Apeks ATX 40, you can install your own adjustment knob if you're inclined (there's a very good video on youtube showing you how). I use an ATX 40 and a HOG as my second stages and 2x apeks ds4 as my first stages. my stage regs are hog d1 and a hog second.

As a brand new diver, I wouldn't rush into doing cave and wreck penetrations. it takes a high level of skill to get there (anyone can go into a cave, it's skill that will get you out). I would look into taking gue fundamentals or an intro to tech course with tdi or iantd.

Start with future proof training. You want to learn the skill that you can use later. Not something you have to unlearn and/or relearn later. So find a good instructor is the most important.

For equipments, start with bp/w, brand doesn't matter for now, just avoid marketing gimmicks. Skip that shoulder pull dump, wight integrated, comfort harness, duo purpose wing. Get a plate based on your ballast requirement, a wing that fits your lift requirement.

For computer, skip AI. A simple computer with air and nitrox modes with gauge mode capability. Nice display is good if budget allowed. No need for integrated compass or heart rate monitor or any of those gimmick crap.

for reg, avoid go air2 route, also avoid compact Octo. Get regular Octo, better the same as your primary. As for brand, I always think something you can get local support is important especially for beginners. If you go down tech/cave route, you will be buying quite a few more regulators. Your first reg will most likely remain as your single tank travel reg, so pick a brand that get world wide support is also a good idea. I think scubapro, Apeks, aqualung are good choices. Atomic is good too. Oceanic, hollis, aeris, maybe not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom