Future-proof gear for newcomer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone suggest an online place to buy gear that doesn't screw with the warranty? Prices @ LDS are 30-40% higher then those on amazon and leisurepro. I don't even care if I'll have to send it in for service once in two years, but local prices are just retarted.

The price that Andrew sells his homemade can lights around here..... why not? :)

But yes, there are plenty of $20-$40 lights from Honk Kong on eBay that put out a good punch. I'm biased since a light is needed on every dive where I live so the can light made perfect sense.
Oh, I forgot about those great can lights. That's a great price if he's interested in getting a can light right away!

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 02:06 PM ----------

Can anyone suggest an online place to buy gear that doesn't screw with the warranty? Prices @ LDS are 30-40% higher then those on amazon and leisurepro. I don't even care if I'll have to send it in for service once in two years, but local prices are just retarted.
DRIS has great prices and you still get the warranty.

Checkout Hot Deals right here on SCUBAboard!

For Scubapro gear, both new & used www.scubapro4less.com

Get a basic harness and simple weight belt. Adding pockets to your harness only adds bulk in the slipstream. Get a cheap computer for now. Depending on which agency to may decide to take tech courses from later, a computer will only be used in gauge mode. When you begin diving trimix you will use separate regulators for your deco gasses. Most regs will be fine for trimix use.
For now, enjoy your diving and worry about trimix if and when you decide that you are ready for long, deep dives.

Folks I see here a lot of opinions. I have a question: does air integration really benefit to your bottom time? I've never tried it. Logic suggests that if computer knows what's left in the tank, it can give you more bottom time but then I see that a lot of really good computers don't even have that feature. Any comments?

P.S. I'm really considering the following items:

Scubapro MK17/A700 reg because free parts for life, reliable, not hugely overpriced, serviced pretty much everywhere
Shearwater Petrel comp because seems it's the best no-bs computer on the market, made to last, great battery system
DSS BP/W because can't justify paying double price for halcyon or anything else

Are there any issues with any of those I should be aware of?

P.S.2 With dc like shearwater petrel should I get a full triple gauge with pressure/depth/compass or just a mini pressure gauge?

Air Integration has no relevance to No Decompression Limits whatsoever. IMO, Air Integration is a crutch for lack of knowledge and math skills and simply one more thing to fail.

Air Integration means the computer knows your pressure now, 1 minute ago, 2 minutes ago, 2.5 minute ago and so on. It also knows your depth and so it's able to calculate your consumption rates and your time remaining rate. But that time remaining rate has nothing to do with no decompression limits and it would be your time remaining regardless of whether the computer was aware of it. Future proof your training and your mentality!

There are ways out there to determine your consumption rates and to be able to easily look at your gauge and a) know what it's going to read before you read it and b) know how many minutes at current depth your gas will provide for. This is a very important skill in the dive planning process and gas management while diving. Don't spend $$$ just to turn off your brain and rely on a computer. Just my opinion...

As far as your gear choices go, the ScubaPro MK/17 is an excellent cold water reg. All the brands you mentioned are great gear albeit some of the most expensive you can go with. If you have this kind of money and really want to do it, well, go for it. Personally I'd pick others such as the Hog D1, DRIS BP/W and the Hollis DG03 and save some serious money.

Last edited:
Folks I see here a lot of opinions. I have a question: does air integration really benefit to your bottom time? I've never tried it. Logic suggests that if computer knows what's left in the tank, it can give you more bottom time but then I see that a lot of really good computers don't even have that feature. Any comments?

P.S. I'm really considering the following items:

Scubapro MK17/A700 reg because free parts for life, reliable, not hugely overpriced, serviced pretty much everywhere
Shearwater Petrel comp because seems it's the best no-bs computer on the market, made to last, great battery system
DSS BP/W because can't justify paying double price for halcyon or anything else

Are there any issues with any of those I should be aware of?

P.S.2 With dc like shearwater petrel should I get a full triple gauge with pressure/depth/compass or just a mini pressure gauge?

I'm curious as to why you think that air integration will increase bottom time? Your bottom time is driven by two factors - your depth and the amount of gas that you have. In both "no decompression" diving and deco diving, your bottom time is driven primarily by your inert gas absorption - i.e the amount of Nitrogen that you have accumulated (for mortals), or Nitrogen and Helium (for trimix diving). In no deco diving, you need to worry about staying within non decompression limits (NDL) and having enough gas to get you and your buddy back to the surface with a safety stop. In deco diving, it's similar but you need to worry about enough gas to get back to the surface while completing any necessary decompression stops and dealing with any emergencies etc. Yours and you buddies SAC (air consumption) rates will affect the gas calculations, but really it's about how much inert gas you have accumulated and having enough gas to get to the surface safely.

On the regs - Scubapro regs are top shelf, but you should look into local serviceability, as well as who you might be diving with. In my local community Apeks is more common, so I went that way knowing that on any given dive we'd have parts and spares that would be interchangable in the dive team.

The Petrel looks like one hell of a computer, but that's a whole lot of computer for a new diver. I'd suggest staying with a lower end Nitrox computer until you actually can make your own informed decisions (although if you really want to go high end, check out Liquivision, Heinrich Weinskamp etc)

DSS - i'm told they make great gear, and Tobin the owner does provide very high levels of service i'm told and is active here. But I find your reasoning weird seeing that you want to drop $1k on a dive computer then save on the BC...

On the console / guage question - i subscribe to GUE mostly, so I'm going to reccomend a single brass and glass SPG (Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers) but then again i'd also say that any dive computer you used be put into gauge mode and effectively be just a depth guage and stopwatch.

If you are serious about going tech, try to find a highly regarded local tech instructor, or do some research on agencies and styles of diving before you sink serious $$ into it as some agencies are very very specific about gear, and others not so much. Also, be aware that tech diving is seriously expensive - expect to drop $15k or so on gear to get set up.

DSS - i'm told they make great gear, and Tobin the owner does provide very high levels of service i'm told and is active here. But I find your reasoning weird seeing that you want to drop $1k on a dive computer then save on the BC...

Not really. What would be your example of good BC? If you go through this thread, people say that there is no benefits in more expensive harness but a bunch of bells and whistles that are not needed.

If you are serious about going tech, try to find a highly regarded local tech instructor, or do some research on agencies and styles of diving before you sink serious $$ into it as some agencies are very very specific about gear, and others not so much. Also, be aware that tech diving is seriously expensive - expect to drop $15k or so on gear to get set up.

Can you please toss me example of what kind of gear costs that much? A rebreather? Because beside rebreather it seems that there isn't much extra gear besides maybe doubling/sidemounting tanks and stuff.

Can you please toss me example of what kind of gear costs that much? A rebreather? Because beside rebreather it seems that there isn't much extra gear besides maybe doubling/sidemounting tanks and stuff.

$15K for just gear is unusual. Certainly $5K+ is easy. Add in training and travel and $15k can happen fast. Still, I do know a local tech diver / instructor who can't help buy ever toy he sees. A compress, booster, bank bottles, scooters, dry suit, rebreather, side mount / back mount, deco bottles, stage bottles (all of which need their own regs ) extra tanks for transfilling in the field, multiple computers, canister lights.... ya, it can get crazy in a hurry.

My goals for you was to buy good inexpensive gear you wouldn't throw away if you ever did all of this. Not to spend the most $$$ possible just in case you do.

The Shearwater Petrel is an excellent computer and probably the favorite computer of tech divers. I have a Liquidvision Xeo which I'm very,very happy with. I see nothing wrong with buying a good tech computer ( which I've found are much easier to use than cheap rec computers,btw) and having the computer that will work for any level of diving to come.
Why spend $350 on a rec computer that doesn't have what you will need to go on to tech, then purchase a new,tech computer in short while? The other nice thing about Shearwater and Liquidvision computers is that they are kept up to date with software updates. So, they really do have a longer possible life as a modern computer than a cheaper computer that can't be updated.
The only benefit I can see of purchasing a rec computer first is to save some upfront money. The disadvantage is that money will be wasted, as that computer can only be used as a bottom timer when going into tech training.
Depending on the agency that you do tech training with, you are likely to start out with tables and a bottom timer, but most tech divers ( except the few, dedicated to tables) move up to computers in short order, especially when doing multiple dives on charters/Livaboards.
As far as the DSS wing/BP, its an excellent system and not that much more than the cheaper brands when you buy the full package. I went with a DSS because it was one of few systems that offered a short backplate. ( I'm 5'1"). However, I did switch to Halcyon. My husband purchased a Halcyon kit and I really liked the quality of the details. I'll either be selling my nearly new DSS rig, or maybe keeping it as a tropical setup.
I think the OP has made some outstanding choices. A couple of DRIS backup lights (500-1,000 lumen), maybe the inexpensive can light mentioned by Chrpai and the only thing left to buy, for a nice, single tank, DIR set-up, would possibly be a drysuit. That will depend on where you're diving, but most divers do end up with a drysuit for tech classes, if for no other reason that it gives them redundant bouyancy. It's also nice to have for longer, deeper dives, where the wetsuit isn't all that great at keeping you warm, due to compression.

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 09:54 AM ----------

You will get a lot of different estimates but looks to me like you would be well on your way to being rigged up for your Intro-Tech and Advanced Nitrox/deco classes, other than a doubles wing. The biggest expense after that will be doubles tanks/manifolds and extra regulators. Still far less than $15,000.
I went through this recently as I decided I want to start doing tech classes. I've not even spent anywhere close to $5,000. I have a few things left to purchase ( doubles wing or sidemount, I'll probably switch to SM due to physical limitations, extra regulators). I already have a bunch of tanks so I'm good there and tanks can be purchased very easily on Craigslist, although you do need to pay for the VIP and probably hydro. Oh, I guess the valves need to be changed at some point, when I decide which tanks I'll use. Still, way under $5,000. I guess a $3,500 custom made drysuit would get you up there pretty quick, although I don't count mine, since I already had it for recreational diving. No, not sure how you could spend $15,000. $5,000 is generous.
Training,travel and gases could add up pretty quick,though.

Back
Top Bottom