Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You learn/master those same skills on a CCR...

I get it. The question is whether to start the process on OC or move to CCR and learn them there. I doubt there is a right answer. It most likely varies person to person and will depend upon their future plans (all CCR, mixed OC/CCR, big-time into tech or just occasionally, etc.).

You learn/master those same skills on a CCR...

There's a difference between the abilities of a person that spent a season practicing and honing those skills on every dive because they were on OC versus the person that only practices those skills during a 5-6 day class.

IMHO, as a diver who moved from OC trimix & deco (4 years, ~300 dives) to a rebreather in the last two years (now 130 hours and 110 dives on the box)…

You need to understand advanced nitrox, i.e. the perils of rich oxygen to the body, equipment, etc. If you’re diving a rebreather you should know about decompression procedures meaning planning and gas switches -- as you'll need to do that bailing out.

Sure, you could do this on your MOD1 course, but there’s so much more to learn if you don’t know this; life is hard enough on a rebreather without complicating things.

If you’re already looking at doing some decompression dives to rid you of the ludicrous NDL restrictions, it’s perfectly reasonable to do an ANDP course so you can do an hour on open circuit at 35m/120ft and 45mins of deco or more. No trimix required. ANDP will teach you the planning and skills required for gas switching, all of direct use on a rebreather for bailing out.

The benefit of deep diving training is not a out setting new high scores on your dive computer. It’s about significantly extending your time on the bottom at medium depths, shallower than 40m/132ft.

Trimix can wait for you to do your rebreather training which in turn can wait until you’ve (saved enough money) done your ANDP.

Ok let's say after I finish my round of training I do a 130 foot dive on 30 percent helium.

Assuming 300 cubic foot of trimix for the dive (I know this is likely high but makes math easy)

Thats 180 dollars of helium for that dive. Not cheap but not really super expensive either. Rebreather 8.5 to 10k plus what another 4 or 5 for the training on it. How many of the above fills do I need especially since as pointed out I'm not using all 300 cubic feet on each dive.

I will likely get a breather but I run a zero dept system so it will take a few years to save for one. In the meantime I plan to enjoy not get narked at all these 100 to 130 sites we have not to mention remembering them. Plus I have to go in order for VA to pay for the classes is my understanding. Sadly I just have enough left for AN DP and trimix

Ok let's say after I finish my round of training I do a 130 foot dive on 30 percent helium.

Assuming 300 cubic foot of trimix for the dive (I know this is likely high but makes math easy)

Thats 180 dollars of helium for that dive. Not cheap but not really super expensive either. Rebreather 8.5 to 10k plus what another 4 or 5 for the training on it. How many of the above fills do I need especially since as pointed out I'm not using all 300 cubic feet on each dive.

I will likely get a breather but I run a zero dept system so it will take a few years to save for one. In the meantime I plan to enjoy not get narked at all these 100 to 130 sites we have not to mention remembering them. Plus I have to go in order for VA to pay for the classes is my understanding. Sadly I just have enough left for AN DP and trimix
That's the accountant's view of the world: look at the cost of everything but know the value of nothing (not accusing you of that!!)

It's all the other benefits of CCR diving which make the initial cost + training + practice = worth it. The side effect is cheap helium but the main benefits are flexibility and a nicer dive.

I’m looking forward to warmer and moister breathing gas. I get cotton mouth regardless of how well I’m hydrated on OC.

I’m looking forward to warmer and moister breathing gas. I get cotton mouth regardless of how well I’m hydrated on OC.
It is awesome and your whole breathing pattern changes. I reverts more to how you normally breath on the surface. On OC as you use your lungs to compensate here and there for your buoyancy it can affect your traditional breathing cycle. CCR not so much because your breathing has nothing to do with your buoyancy. Prior to my COVID hiatus I was doing 4-5hr dives regularly. I am working back up to those times but a 2hr dive is literally nothing.

it also depends on his time frame to do the training on the ccr, which can take 2-3 years Ive reverted to a few dives back on OC on dives beyond mod2 simply because i have yet to complete mod3 (july) and if im on a dive trip and my mates are doing 70+ m dives on ccr theres no way im going to miss out :p
But if you transition to a rebreather before mod2 than there isn't an issue. I can argue that you went too far in OC training before switching to a rebreather

Additionally, there's the personal development time you'll lose when switching to CCR. Most people find they lose "a season" when they move to CCR to get back to where they were previously, but I've also noticed that people that are very comfortable working with multiple bottles adapt to the rebreather quicker...
I lost a season. Went from AN/DP (150') OC to MOD1 100' on the rebreather. I think I should have kept the 150' rating, but didn't really matter. That first season was just getting comfortable and sorted out in the rebreather. Next up was the Normoxic class and off to 200'. Completely blew away any non-Helium OC diving.

I just lost another season. Tore up a knee last summer. ACL and could not walk on uneven ground or stand on a rocking boat without the knee giving out sideways. Had the surgery, rehab. There is more than one reason to miss a season. Switching to a rebreather is a good way to skip a season.

That's the accountant's view of the world: look at the cost of everything but know the value of nothing (not accusing you of that!!)

It's all the other benefits of CCR diving which make the initial cost + training + practice = worth it. The side effect is cheap helium but the main benefits are flexibility and a nicer dive.

I do agree there are more benefits to CCR just with my situation it makes sense to get into helium earlier plus I run out benefits before I could into a breather so get as much done as possible to continue learning and furthering my diving.

Were are you getting he for $1.80/cf?
Its at least twice that in most areas.

Here in WI I can do a 160+ft dive every weekend if I wanted to during the summer and not dive the same wreck twice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom