Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Road trip to FL anyone?

Current rates at Force-E (Boca Raton & Pompano Beach, coming soon to Riviera Beach):

Trimix Fills:​

Trimix is a technical breathing gas, consisting of oxygen, helium and nitrogen, and is often used during the deep phase of the dive. Special technical dive training is needed to use Trimix. Our Force-E Boca Raton and Pompano Beach locations offer Trimix fills at $1.50 per cuft. for Helium and custom mixes are available. Banked trimix 18/45 for $1.45 per cuft and 10/50 for $1.50 per cuft at our Pompano store and banked 15/55 for $1.55 per cuft at our Boca Raton store. Trimix fills coming soon at Riviera Beach.

Proof of certification is required for Trimix fills. Analyzers are on site at each location and divers are required to verify mix before cylinders are removed from the shop.

Rebreather Fills:​

Rebreather certifications are required for rebreather fills. Currently only our Pompano Beach and Boca Raton location can support these fills. Analyzers are on site at each location and divers are required to verify mix before cylinders are removed from the shop.

Oxygen 20 cuft Fill Prices: $10.00 each tank​

Trimix 20 cuft Fill Prices: $10.00 each tank​

Current rates at Pura Vida on Singer Island (Palm Beach/Riviera Beach area)

Trimix, Premix
$0.70
$0.82
$0.97
$0.89​
21% Oxygen & 35% Helium
18% Oxygen & 45% Helium
15% Oxygen & 55% Helium
10% Oxygen & 50% Helium
Helium
$1.35​
Grade (Technical Diving — 99.995%)

Wonder how long those prices will stick around for.

I think it's definitely worth getting some oc normoxic experience before going to a rebreather. as @kensuf stated, oc normoxic is good for getting comfortable with consumption at those depths, and dealing with multiple bottles. plus if your rebreather craps out, you still have the option of grabbing a set of doubles with trimix in them and doing the dive.

There’s tremendous value in gaining deep experience. You can academically “know” that gas goes faster, but experiencing that for real gives confidence that cannot be gained by writing math down with a pen and paper.

If my RB breaks, I know what my gas requirements are and how I respond at depth because I’ve actually done it.

There’s tremendous value in gaining deep experience. You can academically “know” that gas goes faster, but experiencing that for real gives confidence that cannot be gained by writing math down with a pen and paper.

If my RB breaks, I know what my gas requirements are and how I respond at depth because I’ve actually done it.
I agree with this. I did it, there is a lot of knowledge gained by it. When I did it, helium wasn't as scarce or overwhelmingly expensive. I still feel there is value gained by diving deep air and comparing the differences. But it is also dangerous and not deemed a good practice anymore which I can see that side equally as well.
Times change, while there is valuable information to be gained, there is also just sheer availability to take into account as well.

I agree with this. I did it, there is a lot of knowledge gained by it. When I did it, helium wasn't as scarce or overwhelmingly expensive. I still feel there is value gained by diving deep air and comparing the differences. But it is also dangerous and not deemed a good practice anymore which I can see that side equally as well.
Times change, while there is valuable information to be gained, there is also just sheer availability to take into account as well.
It’s available enough. It might cost money, but…. So? It’s an expensive sport.

I don’t think anyone is advocating to stay on OC forever, but dang do SOME oc tech stuff.

The “skip it” mentality is dumb imo.

Can’t you do OC tech diving at 35m/115ft on nitrox?

Hour on the bottom and 30mins decompression with accelerated deco?

I could but I would still get narced hence my plan to do it on trimix instead.

Are you going to have OC students go to 145ft for AN/DP without helium when they may get narked bad at 130ft? We have a dive site that goes down to 350ft. You WILL go down to 145ft if that’s what the cert is for for final dives. Are you saying instructors should be staying shallower?

Are you going to have OC students go to 145ft for AN/DP without helium when they may get narked bad at 130ft? We have a dive site that goes down to 350ft. You WILL go down to 145ft if that’s what the cert is for for final dives. Are you saying instructors should be staying shallower?
Yep, going to 145! Even if it is just a dive to figure out they don't want to do that again. If a student already knows they get a bad narc at 130, it is their responsibility to call the dive beforehand. If they can't be responsible enough to do that in class, they certainly won't be responsible enough to do outside of class.

I WOULDN'T do a 145' dive on air when the bottom is at 350 though... Need a bottom around to keep them from doing something TOO stupid.

I think Wibbles point was you don't have to be going to mix depths to be doing deco.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom