Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting article I saw posted on FB.

Bailout needs the OC diving skills, especially no-tox drills.

Going to a rebreather as a competent OC diver makes bailing out trivial and safe.

Bailout needs the OC diving skills, especially no-tox drills.

Going to a rebreather as a competent OC diver makes bailing out trivial and safe.
Again, there are multiple people besides me on this thread who get narced below 100ft. Doing AN/DP on air is dangerous for us. No helium or not enough helium for OC fills for Helitrox means AN/DP has to be done on CCR.

My instructor’s shop has stopped all OC trimix fills. CCR only.

Hoo boy, Dr. Neal Pollack on rebreathers?

Maybe someone is interested in it:

Within GUE, there are many more CCR1 enrollment than tech2 OC.

I would go for Tech2 :)

Maybe someone is interested in it:

Within GUE, there are many more CCR1 enrollment than tech2 OC.

I would go for Tech2 :)

And if you can’t get any helium?

That is where things get backwards. In a small window, about 100-150', with zero Helium available I would take OC over CCR. Beyond that it goes into I'm not making the dive. I have a little more tolerance for air on OC than I do on CCR. Even then it would be a shorter dive than I would plan on CCR.

That is where things get backwards. In a small window, about 100-150', with zero Helium available I would take OC over CCR. Beyond that it goes into I'm not making the dive. I have a little more tolerance for air on OC than I do on CCR. Even then it would be a shorter dive than I would plan on CCR.
CCR every time even for a shallow dive. You might even be able to blag some helium as so little's required.

OK, maybe not so keen on a shore dive if sidemount's available :cool:

Actually, I was asking the poster 1-2 above you who said he’d choose Tech 2 over CCR 1.

Sorry, my answer was not complete... I will do tech2 before rebreather :)

{EDIT: I already consulted several cardiologists and I am clear to dive with no depths limit - see post #246 - for now at least - so when you will read that I have a heart condition, please don't get crazy :) }

My reasoning is the following:
- I believe the experience in OC is not necessary but very valuable.
- Before spending a massive amount of money on a rebreather, I want to ensure that I like deep stuff.
- I NEED to test if I can handle heavy equipment (I have a heart condition). Because one of my final aims is project diving with GUE, and the rebreather is heavy, I first want to test heavy OC equipment (buying a 10k rebreather to discover that I can't handle it does not look like a terrific idea).

Now, if I realize that I do not like deep diving (which may happen if I find long deco stops too dull), I will stick to normoxic OC dives. I already had some issues finding helium, but not enough to justify the purchase of a rebreather. If I have these troubles more often in the future, I will purchase a rebreather and get the training.

If I realize that handling heavy stuff is a problem, I may evaluate a small rebreather out of GUE. I am thinking of a triton or a sidewinder (but, to be honest, it's just a guess, I don't even know how much they do weight, and right now, it's too early to think about it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom