Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

{EDIT: I already consulted several cardiologists and I am clear to dive with no depths limit - see post #246 - for now at least - so when you will read that I have a heart condition, please don't get crazy :) }

Managing heavy stuff? Take some cement bags on your back and check. Cheaper than Tech 2 course.
No, that isn't what I need to do. I can lift that weight; I already know it. What I do not know is what happens when I am in a boat, with the drysuit, the bottles and the currents. Heartbeat rate can increase dramatically in these conditions, and there is no other way to test it than actually doing it. Indeed, even small details like attaching the bottles to the D-rings play a role, plus stress and so many other things.

It's a particular situation due to that heart condition I mentioned, so I am sure this doesn't apply to 99.99% of other people.

No, that isn't what I need to do. I can lift that weight; I already know it. What I do not know is what happens when I am in a boat, with the drysuit, the bottles and the currents. Heartbeat rate can increase dramatically in these conditions, and there is no other way to test it than actually doing it. Indeed, even small details like attaching the bottles to the D-rings play a role, plus stress and so many other things.

It's a particular situation due to that heart condition I mentioned, so I am sure this doesn't apply to 99.99% of other people.
That was a tongue-in-cheek comment.
I totally understand where are you coming from on this.

CCR every time even for a shallow dive. You might even be able to blag some helium as so little's required.

OK, maybe not so keen on a shore dive if sidemount's available :cool:
Yes, I would still do CCR in shallow stuff. Without Helium.
But with no Helium available there is a small window that OC air is a little better. But if a little Helium is available, goes back to CCR and use it wisely.

- I NEED to test if I can handle heavy equipment (I have a heart condition). ...

If I realize that handling heavy stuff is a problem, I may evaluate a small rebreather ...

"I have a heart condition." This statement is concerning! Can you be evaluated by a diving pysician before you commence to "testing if you can handle heavy equipment"? Maybe he/she will take you through a thorough stress-echo exam. Maybe get a second opinion from another diving physician, too. Scary.

There is plenty of neat stuff to do besides diving.

Re "small rebreather": Lately, I seem to be devouring everything I see written about the DiveRite Choptima. It seems quite a neat solution if you configure it with a couple of "baby" cylinders (e.g. Faber LP 50's, ~19# each) with the plan to use the diluent cylinder (is that what it's called?) for bailout.

rx7diver

"I have a heart condition." This statement is concerning! Can you be evaluated by a diving pysician before you commence to "testing if you can handle heavy equipment"? Maybe he/she will take you through a thorough stress-echo exam. Maybe get a second opinion from another diving physician, too. Scary.

There is plenty of neat stuff to do besides diving.

Re "small rebreather": Lately, I seem to be devouring everything I see written about the DiveRite Choptima. It seems quite a neat solution if you configure it with a couple of "baby" cylinders (e.g. Faber LP 50's, ~19# each) with the plan to use the diluent cylinder (is that what it's called?) for bailout.

rx7diver

I appreciate your concerns, but there's no reason to worry. I go to a cardiologist every six months to one year, to do stress-echo. I consulted several cardiologists and always got clearance for diving. I am free to do whatever I want in terms of scuba :)

I just have some minor restrictions related to high intrathoracic pressure (usually high when we do very high efforts), which may cause long terms issues (that is, even if it goes high once, nothing bad happens). This is why I am not sure I can stay in the boat.

Scary? Yes. I know that one day I will have to stop diving... And because of this, the anxiety is awful every time I enter the cardiologist's office. But it isn't today yet.

Stuff to do besides scuba? In theory yes, but all the other stuff I like is worse than scuba for the heart... Luckily it isn't a problem of me. The future me will deal with that :)

Small rebreathers are also a problem of the future me, so no reason to think about it now.

I'll be the stick in the mud and say that I will do OC dives until I can't get the helium. For the cost of a rebreather, I bought an ROV instead. I won't go beyond 150 with air, but anything above that I am game. Luckily we stockpiled a ton of helium and should be good for 2-3 years. Once that's gone and I can't get it, then my technical diving days are over. I'm home with OC and have dove it for 20+ years. I'm not changing over to a rebreather.

Rebreathers are fun for a lot of other reasons, not just the low gas usage. The silence. The stability. The flexibility.

(I have a heart condition).
Whoooaaa!!! Stop right there. You have got to be kidding. You have a heart condition and still think its ok to go down the tech path? Just that right there is a solid "No". Never mind all the rest of the nonsense about not knowing if deep diving is for you, etc, etc. Just stop. You shouldn't do this. Your body and your brain are telling you "No". I'm not sure what part of you is telling you "Yes" but just ignore that. That part is not your friend.

Whoooaaa!!! Stop right there. You have got to be kidding. You have a heart condition and still think its ok to go down the tech path? Just that right there is a solid "No". Never mind all the rest of the nonsense about not knowing if deep diving is for you, etc, etc. Just stop. You shouldn't do this. Your body and your brain are telling you "No". I'm not sure what part of you is telling you "Yes" but just ignore that. That part is not your friend.

Excuse me, are you an expert cardiologist who can declare a person able or unable to dive on the internet? :) As I said to @rx7diver, relax, everything is under control, see post #246, please.

By the way, guys, it isn't very nice to presume that people are doing nothing about their issues. It would be nicer to ask "hey dude, are you doing anything about it?" instead of saying "do this and that" or "just stop". I know you are just concerned for other people, which is remarkable, but receiving these comments feels like I am not intelligent enough to take care of my issues. Not nice, really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom