Frontier adds additional fees for SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with Frontier and filled a complaint. The official policy is that a single flipper, snorkel, regulator warrants a 100 dollar fee. I explained that this was a rather despicable policy in that it was a direct penalty against Colorado natives by a Colorado based company and that skis weren't as costly. Furthermore I said it made no sense that if my wife and I can pack all of our gear and clothing in one 50 lb bag that we should be charged 100 dollars when the new policies would allow another couple to bring 200 lbs of non-scuba equipment for a fee of 50 dollars (25/second bag)

I won't be flying with the company any more, after 4 years using them this is unfortunate but they need to spread fuel costs more equitably amongst their consumers. I suggest other people call 1-800-265-5505 and complain.

I might be reading too much into their info about what constitutes scuba gear but bear with me here.

SCUBA EQUIPMENT
- ALLOW/REQUIREMENTS: 1 ITEM INCLUDES: 2 FINS,
1 MASK, 1 KNIFE, 1 SNORKEL, 1 REGULATOR, 1 SAFETY
VEST, 1 SPEAR GUN, 1 PRESSURE GUAGE, 1 TANK
HARNESS, 1 EMPTY SCUBA TANK (WITH THE REGULATOR
VALVE COMPLETELY REMOVED).

From reading this it seems that 1 scuba “item” includes all these things, including a tank. Maybe if you don’t have an entire “item” there is no charge. As long as you don’t complete the list there will be no charge. This may be wishful thinking but only Frontier in their infinite wisdom knows.

John

This was answered in post #9 by Jared

As many of you have stated this ambiguous and selectively prejudical policy just put Frontier on my "no fly" list. They too were my favorite airline. I've already cut up my Frontier credit card, cancelled the account, and will be mailing the card pieces to the company with my complaint letter.

Yes, scuba gear adds weight to a bag. Increased weight increases aircraft fuel usage. So a 180 lb diver with a 50 lb bag will stop flying so a 220 lb couch potato with a 50 lb bag can fly fee free. Makes perfect bureaucratic mindless sense to me.

Now that I've vented my frustration, I suspect Frontier has determined that baggage weight to diving destinations like Cozumel is substantially higher than on non-diving routes. Given the distances, additional foreign fees, and higher usage of frequent flyer awards, I also suspect they are wanting to reduce the number of expensive routes they fly. The additional fee is a way to make the divers pay to keep the destination or quickly eliminate the more expensive diving route.

As fuel prices continue to rise, I predict that airlines may one day cross a slippery slope of route management by installing a hidden scale under the floorboard at the entrance door of the aircraft, weighing each pound of flesh and baggage that walks onboard. Routes with a higher percentage of obese customers will quickly be eliminated as a destination choice and it will probably be legal.

Now if an airline charged a flat rate by the pound that would be ok with me. the idea that I am paying just as much as that lump spilling over the armrest into half of my seat paid drives me mad!

I'm not sure how you can deduce that.
The key sentence in the reply from Frontier's group desk, although a bit ambiguous is "Unless you are packing it in your one piece of luggage allowed, additional charges will be incurred for the 2nd bag."

I have e-mailed to confirm that I have correctly inferred that this means no charge if the scuba equipment fits into the one free baggage allowance, and to further confirm that she is referring to the policy in effect after June 10th.

My goal is not to bitch and moan, but to get the policy either changed or clarified to one where scuba gear does not have extra charges applied.

With most airlines in deep financial trouble, they are searching for ways to increase revenue and I fear that it would just take a couple of airlines like Airtran and Frontier to set a bad precedent that gets copied by other airlines.

In the case of Airtran I was able to contact their VP of Marketing and get a clear statement from him that the charge does NOT apply when no tank is being shipped. Frontier is still a work-in-progress.

The group sales desk at Frontier has decided to step aside and avoid making any statements that they can be held to.

I apologize for any confusion regarding this matter. The Group Desk
adheres to all baggage policies. You can locate the baggage polices on
Frontier's website (www.frontierairlines.com ) regarding fees for scuba
equipment, oversize, overweight and excess baggage. If you have any
further questions you can contact our costumer service department
regarding any baggage polices you wish to discuss. There contact number
is 1-800-265-5505 option 2.
Translation: I don't want to touch this with a 10' pole.

The answer I'm getting from customer service call center is something along the lines of "if it fits inside the weight and size limits, then there would be no reason for an agent to know that it is scuba equipment and charge the fee. But they do have the option to charge the fee, and it may vary from agent to agent or airport to airport".

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So it looks like I need to pack my scuba gear in my normal suitcase, and my clothes in my scuba bag. Like the guy on the xray machine cares about the extra charges.

That way, when they try to charge me, I will open it up and show them my underwear and socks.

Nice!

I sent the following today. I'll let everyone know the reply.

"I’m planning a trip this fall and I can’t seem to get a definite answer concerning the extra charge for ‘Scuba equipment” Is the $100 each way? Is the charge applicable if no tank is in the baggage? Usually all my equipment fits in one 40-45 pound bag, does the $100 fee apply? As you can see if there is a $200 round trip fee to go to Fla. You folks are quite a bit higher than everyone else.
Thanks for your attention to this"

Pretty soon it will be cheaper to just fedex all your gear to a destination.

I've considered doing that a few times myself. Next time I fly I might do it. I noticed that dive insurance won't cover dive stuff when "shipped" but only if carried by the airline. However, the shipper's insurance should if something bad happens to dive stuff.

I though of sending it ahead to the dive store rather than the hotel. Back in the day when I did a lot of biz travel every now and again, I would send things ahead of time to the hotel. Worked well back then.

Hope the airlines see the error of their way. Dought it, but we can hope. Might have to start shipping our gear FedEx.

3 words: executive carpet bomb
I would also make sure this is on the consumerist for more exposure. I would check now, but I am on my phone.

D. Dale Browning > Chairman of the Board > dbrowning@flyfrontier.com
Sean E. Menke > President, Chief Executive Officer, Director > smenke@flyfrontier.com
Paul S. Dempsey > Co-Vice Chairman of the Board > pdempsey@flyfrontier.com
B. LaRae Orullian > Co-Vice Chairman of the Board > borullian@flyfrontier.com
Christopher L. Collins > Chief Operating Officer, Executive Vice President > ccollins@flyfrontier.com
Ted Christie > Senior Vice President - Finance > tchristie@flyfrontier.com
Gerry Coady > Senior Vice President, Chief Information Officer > gcoady@flyfrontier.com
Ann E. Block > Senior Vice President - People > ablock@flyfrontier.com
Matthew R. Henry > Vice President, General Counsel > mhenry@flyfrontier.com
Heather Iden > Vice President, Controller > hiden@flyfrontier.com

It might take thousands of customer service complaints to reach anyone who matters, but a couple hundred emails in an executive's inbox sends a message that will be heard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom