Frontier adds additional fees for SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I contacted them, and here was their response.

Justin,

I have included a link below that contains our current baggage policy and our revised baggage policy effective 6/10/08 pertaining to SCUBA gear.

Baggage Chart - Frontier Airlines

The link states the following:
SCUBAOne bag which may include fins, mask, knife, snorkel, regulator, safety vest, spear gun, pressure gauge, tank harness, empty scuba tank (with the regulator valve completely removed).
NOTE: Knife and spear gun must be checkedFree - packed within or in place of one FBA
Effective June 10, 2008, a fee of $100 will be charged to check scuba items.Checked: Yes Carry-on: YesYes

That is pretty much what I posted in post #4 from the same source. At least they are being consistent. I'm still not sure if that is one-way or round trip. But they would have to be a whole lot cheaper (or I use my freq flyer miles) before I'd even consider paying $100 extra.

I have yet to receive a response to my 5/23 e-mail asking explicitly whether the $100 fee applies in cases where no tank is included.

I just sent a follow-up e-mail that included a link and some quotes from United Airlines, which is probably their most important competitor.

UAL's policy is pretty clear --- $100 charge for everything if a tank is included, NO additional charges if no tank and everything fits in the size and weight limitation of standard free checked baggage allowance.

My bet is still that somebody made the change expecting to pick up some extra income, but neglected to realize the negative impacts of charging $100 fee for what isn't all that much different that what is used for snorkeling.

Charlie Allen

what did their response say?
The latest reply from the Group Desk
Charlie

Unless you are packing it in your one piece of luggage allowed,
additional charges will be incurred for the 2nd bag. This is what
Frontier considers scuba equipment and can incur the additional scuba
charges.

SCUBA EQUIPMENT
- ALLOW/REQUIREMENTS: 1 ITEM INCLUDES: 2 FINS,
1 MASK, 1 KNIFE, 1 SNORKEL, 1 REGULATOR, 1 SAFETY
VEST, 1 SPEAR GUN, 1 PRESSURE GUAGE, 1 TANK
HARNESS, 1 EMPTY SCUBA TANK (WITH THE REGULATOR
VALVE COMPLETELY REMOVED).
It's not really a direct answer to my question, but it kind of implies that the $100 charge doesn't apply if the scuba gear is packed inside the first suitcase and it meets size and weight limits.

I e-mailed back a request to confirm my understanding of her e-mail -- that if everthing fits in my only checked bag, and that it meets size and weight limits that the addtional scuba equipment charge does NOT apply; and also to confirm that she is describing the post-June 10th policy.

I also repeated my comment that if Frontier had a scuba gear policy similar to United Airlines, that there wouldn't be any confusion.

The latest reply from the Group Desk It's not really a direct answer to my question, but it kind of implies that the $100 charge doesn't apply if the scuba gear is packed inside the first suitcase and it meets size and weight limits.

I e-mailed back a request to confirm my understanding of her e-mail -- that if everthing fits in my only checked bag, and that it meets size and weight limits that the addtional scuba equipment charge does NOT apply; and also to confirm that she is describing the post-June 10th policy.

I also repeated my comment that if Frontier had a scuba gear policy similar to United Airlines, that there wouldn't be any confusion.

I'm not sure how you can deduce that. If you were to read the column next to the one where you quoted what Frontier considers Scuba Equipment, you would see the COST Column has: " Free - packed within or in place of one FBA. Effective June 10, 2008, a fee of $100 will be charged to check scuba items."

That tells me that until June 10th, if you pack all your Scuba with the one Free Baggage Allowance (FBA) (including size and weight), it is FREE. However, Effective June 10, 2008, a fee of $100 will be charged to check scuba items. This is all within the weight and size limitations. If it exceeds either weight and/or size, then there are additional tariffs, as there is if it exceeds the one FBA.

The only question that remains to be answered is :Is this one-way (each way) or round-trip.

From my point of view it does not matter whether it is one way or each way. I will stop using Frontier, unless it is the only carrier going where I need to go. If that is the case, then I will bring all the scuba gear that I own, including weights. As I read their policy, the charge for scuba gear is $100, regardless of size or weight.

From my point of view it does not matter whether it is one way or each way. I will stop using Frontier, unless it is the only carrier going where I need to go. If that is the case, then I will bring all the scuba gear that I own, including weights. As I read their policy, the charge for scuba gear is $100, regardless of size or weight.

And please email a complaint to them indicating this. Also forward the complaint email address to any dive shop you know. I contacted 5 near me so we'll see what they do. My feeling is that adding one or two hundred to the package trips (purchased at dive shops) might not make anyone blink but hopefully it does.

I'm not sure how you can deduce that. If you were to read the column next to the one where you quoted what Frontier considers Scuba Equipment, you would see the COST Column has: " Free - packed within or in place of one FBA. Effective June 10, 2008, a fee of $100 will be charged to check scuba items."

That tells me that until June 10th, if you pack all your Scuba with the one Free Baggage Allowance (FBA) (including size and weight), it is FREE. However, Effective June 10, 2008, a fee of $100 will be charged to check scuba items. This is all within the weight and size limitations. If it exceeds either weight and/or size, then there are additional tariffs, as there is if it exceeds the one FBA.

The only question that remains to be answered is :Is this one-way (each way) or round-trip.

And how are they going to determine what is in your checked bag or carry on, if you don't have SCUBA GEAR written accross the bag.

As many of you have stated this ambiguous and selectively prejudical policy just put Frontier on my "no fly" list. They too were my favorite airline. I've already cut up my Frontier credit card, cancelled the account, and will be mailing the card pieces to the company with my complaint letter.

Yes, scuba gear adds weight to a bag. Increased weight increases aircraft fuel usage. So a 180 lb diver with a 50 lb bag will stop flying so a 220 lb couch potato with a 50 lb bag can fly fee free. Makes perfect bureaucratic mindless sense to me.

Now that I've vented my frustration, I suspect Frontier has determined that baggage weight to diving destinations like Cozumel is substantially higher than on non-diving routes. Given the distances, additional foreign fees, and higher usage of frequent flyer awards, I also suspect they are wanting to reduce the number of expensive routes they fly. The additional fee is a way to make the divers pay to keep the destination or quickly eliminate the more expensive diving route.

As fuel prices continue to rise, I predict that airlines may one day cross a slippery slope of route management by installing a hidden scale under the floorboard at the entrance door of the aircraft, weighing each pound of flesh and baggage that walks onboard. Routes with a higher percentage of obese customers will quickly be eliminated as a destination choice and it will probably be legal.

I might be reading too much into their info about what constitutes scuba gear but bear with me here.

SCUBA EQUIPMENT
- ALLOW/REQUIREMENTS: 1 ITEM INCLUDES: 2 FINS,
1 MASK, 1 KNIFE, 1 SNORKEL, 1 REGULATOR, 1 SAFETY
VEST, 1 SPEAR GUN, 1 PRESSURE GUAGE, 1 TANK
HARNESS, 1 EMPTY SCUBA TANK (WITH THE REGULATOR
VALVE COMPLETELY REMOVED).

From reading this it seems that 1 scuba “item” includes all these things, including a tank. Maybe if you don’t have an entire “item” there is no charge. As long as you don’t complete the list there will be no charge. This may be wishful thinking but only Frontier in their infinite wisdom knows.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom