Frontier adds additional fees for SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy I spoke to on the phone said any and all items regardless of size/type. I'll take your advice and email the company as well though.

Even though I am completely new to SCUBA I still find this rule reprehensible. I'd be fine paying extra for any weight I carry, I'd be fine paying extra for tickets, I understand that fuel costs are hurting the airlines. What cheeses me off about the whole thing is that I almost never even check a bag and when I do it's one for both my wife and myself and always under 50 lbs. Generating a policy which disproportionately fines people, regardless of weight or travel history smacks of discrimination to me. They should just make you pay per weight or raise ticket prices.

Frontier doing this specifically penalizes Coloradans for using them, who ever flies here to SCUBA?

Email form here https://www.frontierairlines.com/frontier/customer-service/contact-us/email-us-form.do

I have always looked at these rules at a don't ask, don't tell plan. But It will also be interesting to see if they will ask if say you book a flight to Cozumel vs say a trip to Chicago.

I'm wondering if this is just a hidden charge to try to keep the costs of their mexico flights less expensive.

makes you wonder why they are bankrupt? The problem will eliminate itself soon...

Here was my email, feel free to edit as you like

I am writing to complain about your new SCUBA policy. I have tried to fly Frontier exclusively for several years (although I just registered for frequent flier miles) but, if the policy is as I understand it, you will have lost both myself and my wife as customers.

For the vast majority of our trips we do not check luggage and make do with our carry on articles. The one time we have used more bags was to bring clothing to poor children in Mexico. If we do check a bag it is always one between my wife and myself.

I understand the need for the airline companies to offset higher gas prices and would have no complaint if you raised ticket prices or charged a set rate for a set weight/size of luggage. Your new SCUBA policy however unfairly and disproportionately penalizes Coloradans (especially shameful as you are a Denver company) who wish to use your flights to go to dive locations.

If I understand the policy correctly the presence of any SCUBA gear (fins, snorkels, regulator, etc) immediately warrants a $100 fee. This is absurd. I would understand a handling fee for a tank but take the following example - My wife and I pack one regulation sized suit case and one carry on a piece. We include our SCUBA gear without tanks. We automatically warrant a $100 fee for checking less than 50 lbs of non-hazardous, regulation sized luggage. Another couple each brings two bags (4 in all) weighing in at 50 lbs each for a total penalty of $50 and 200 lbs or better yet all their ski equipment plus 2 bags each for $100. So, to equal our 50 lb bag fee, simply because we have SCUBA gear, someone else could bring two sets of skis and 200 lbs of stuff.
At that point it's not about recouping jet fuel costs and it's about discriminating against Coloradan divers.

I sincerely hope you will reconsider this policy to apply to oversized/weight or hazardous items. As it stands I can no longer fly with you & will be contacting all the local dive shops.

Jared W

Has anyone confirmed if this fee is each way (one way) or round trip? Since the exta bag fee is each way, and they sell one-way tickets, this could be a whopping $200 fee on a round trip ticket - per person!

Thanks Jared for posting the letter - I took portions of it for my complaint. Frontier was my favorite airline, but now I'll really have to reconsider because of this inane policy. Sounds like they really didn't think it all the way through.

I think in this case, we'll just employ a "don't tell" policy. If we're going to Cozumel and we're going diving, we'll just say we're renting all our gear or something. My husband and I are very good at packing our checked pieces of luggage at under 50 pounds each.

I have never fully understood the purpose of "the letter."

I think of it in the case of a Doctor. If I have a really bad experience at a Doctor I don't want him to get better, I want him to go out of business! As a native Coloradoan it sucks to see Frontier driving itself into the ground but if they choose to behave like this, so be it! Southwest will finish them off in the near future.

Lastly, has anybody had any problems paying for tickets since they went bankrupt? some credit cards refuse those airlines when they go bad.

Lastly, has anybody had any problems paying for tickets since they went bankrupt? some credit cards refuse those airlines when they go bad.

Not at all. Since that bankruptcy thing I've flown them 3 times and my husband has flown them twice and neither of us have had any issues buying tickets.

Not at all. Since that bankruptcy thing I've flown them 3 times and my husband has flown them twice and neither of us have had any issues buying tickets.

That is good to hear for both parties!

I contacted them, and here was their response.

Justin,

I have included a link below that contains our current baggage policy and our revised baggage policy effective 6/10/08 pertaining to SCUBA gear.

Baggage Chart - Frontier Airlines

The link states the following:
SCUBAOne bag which may include fins, mask, knife, snorkel, regulator, safety vest, spear gun, pressure gauge, tank harness, empty scuba tank (with the regulator valve completely removed).
NOTE: Knife and spear gun must be checkedFree - packed within or in place of one FBA
Effective June 10, 2008, a fee of $100 will be charged to check scuba items.Checked: Yes Carry-on: YesYes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom