Frontier adds additional fees for SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all put in a little time to call Frontier to task on this issue and it appears that it worked. A mistake has been corrected and we can go back to reasonable operations. Thanks to all who called or wrote to Frontier. Activitivism succeeds!

Last month - when I traveled on Hawaiian - they also have a scuba gear policy - but - their policy defines the charge as a "complete" set of scuba gear, and since I don't have a tank with me I look at it as I am not traveling with a full set of gear, and therefore not subject to the charge.

Looks like I missed all the fun while I was in Bonaire. Glad Frontier came to their senses. Now if only they'd lower their ticket prices to Cozumel, I could start flying with them again. :wink:

Looks like I missed all the fun while I was in Bonaire. Glad Frontier came to their senses. Now if only they'd lower their ticket prices to Cozumel, I could start flying with them again. :wink:

Hate to be the one to tell you, but that isn't going to happen!

Well, I think our writing to Frontier worked!! Here is what I just recieved:

Rick:

Hey – look what just happened!! I wrote back to the policy makers and said that the website had to be straightened out and everyone’s understanding of the regulations had to be the same. After 24 hours, the NEW policy (cut/pasted) below was rendered from on high. It will be reflected on the website within about 48 hours.

Don’t think that you can’t make a difference by writing to Frontier. You can! Share this with your scuba friends.

Beki Pineda
Customer Relations

We’ve listened to our consumers. We’ve changed the contract of carriage (copy attached) as follows:

SCUBA – Removed $100 fee

[FONT=&quot]One bag which may include fins, mask, knife, snorkel, regulator, safety vest, spear gun, pressure gauge, tank harness, empty scuba tank (with the regulator valve completely removed).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NOTE 1: Smaller items such as fins, mask, or snorkel may be packed within the passengers standard baggage.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NOTE 2: Knife, spear gun, and tank must be checked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]COST: Free – packed within or in place of one FBA [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For tickets purchased on or after June 10, 2008: excess, overweight, and oversize fees will be assessed as applicable[/FONT]

Thanks to everyone who wrote!!

-Rick

No change on their website yet, hopefully in the next couple days.

No change on their website yet, hopefully in the next couple days.

I just sent Beki an email asking why this wasn't changed. :confused:

Upon further investigation, I found that she was less than truthful in her statement. I'm not sure if it was ignorance or negligence but the Contract of Carriage that she quoted as being changed back, indeed appears to have never been changed in the first place to reflect the June 10 new charges, for Scuba or anything else, much less changed back. The Baggage Chart has not been changed to reflect the elimination of the $100 Scuba fare. :no

I asked her what was going on, pointing the above out, with specific details. We’ll see what happens. If this is their way of managing the business, it might explain why they are in bankruptcy. :11:

I’m hoping it’s just the “slow wheels of a large corporation”, but since she claims to have cut and pasted from a nonexistent document, her integrity is questionable.:mooner:

Not surprizing. They are my favorite carrier. I created a new tread as to changes in fees for baggage for other airlines. Keeping everyone updated as to this subject is very helpful. Thanks to all of you for all your efforts.
Leslye

Here is Frontier's Response:

Rick:

I queried the Webmaster and got the following reply: The website is only updated once a week. So, it is being updated tonight around midnight. The update will include the new COC. It will be up to date for tomorrow.

Whew!!

Beki

I'll wait a couple days and see. I don't think this is the total answer, because it's been over a week since the new policy was announced, and the formal (PDF) file of Contract of Carriage never had the change incorporated into Rule 195. At least they are responding in a timely manner. And, I suspect that Beki is only the messenger.

Thanks for the update, I'm a bit confused though. Was the formal pdf updated with the 100 dollar fee and never changed or was the 100 dollar fee never incorporated into the PDF?

I'll be waiting for tomorrow, if they nix it I'll be booking flights for my in-laws and three trips for myself/wife on Frontier, if they don't that's around 3000 I'll be spending elsewhere.

It is simple economics. Airlines have been operating at very low margins, or at a loss for a long time. Now that fuel is becoming more expensive by the day, carries have only one option, and that is to raise airfare to account for the fuel increases.

Rather than dance around the situation, it would be nice if they would just raise the fares across the board, and be done with it. All these games they are playing are confusing (especially on top of the TSA).

One way or another, we are going to be paying more to fly. My goal is to make sure that as a diver, I don't get raped by the airlines based on baggage restrictions, or additional charges for gear.

Our tickets to FL are $300 this summer, an increase of almost 50% AND I think we are allowed only one checked bag per person. I can live with that, but I think it's only going to become worst.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom