Fort Worth Quarry Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Any local divers-you know that old quarry by 820 and Old Decatur Here it is on a googlemaps:

fort worth - Google Maps

Its right near Marine Creek Lake if that helps. Anyhow, it looks like it has better vis than any of the other local lakes I've looked at, and I'll bet it has not been too thoroughly explored. Anyone up for a dive in it sometime? As far as I've seen, it has some neat plant life, turtles, and small fish. Plus you can drive right up to the shore, and my house is really close by so we can go there for hot chocolate or coffee afterwards.

Anyone interested?

I have know direct knowledge of this site.

Is it on private of public property.......assuming it is 'low' at current as almost all other water bodies around here have you observed it in other conditions? Any reason to belief or guess it is toxic//you mention plant life and small fish so this is a good sign,, or is a run-off drop area?

I live in SW Arlington and might be interested in viewing the site sometime after 1/5/09 were I could get a better idea of it's diveability potential.......if you venture out sooner post a report.

Ooooh...I took a specialty for that.....let's go!

CTDiver.jpg

oh come on now you guys. People fish there all the time, and there are no "keep out" signs or the like. It has only a very small inlet that is well below ground level, leading me to believe it is either spring fed, or deep ground-filtered run-off. I have heard that it was merely a stone quarry a long time ago, and that there were no chemicals used. There are lots of plants and animals at the site, leading me to believe it is fairly clean. Also, compared to most of the other lakes around here, the vis seems to be quite nice.

I have not observed it under any other conditions persay (I just moved here in Sept.), but given that its only inlet is a small trickle of water coming from the ground, I don't think it varies much. During storms, the water clarity becomes poorer-as can be expected with any body of water, but even with a good storm the water level does not rise noticeably. I get a good look at the place every day, as I live less than 200 feet from it.

And yes, if I dive it I will post a report.

Sounds interesting from what you are saying.....like I said, would be interested in viewing it in early Jan.. Be safe if you get the opt. to give it a try.

I am curious. Please, let me do some research.

If it is so excellent for diving, I am curious as to why it has not been discovered before. But you never know. EMTP, you might be a pioneer here.

Keep me in the loop, I'm over by TCU and would be interested in giving it a whirl if it is indeed half as good as you speak of.

Message sent to my contact at the city of Fort Worth Water Quality Management Office. I got people :D

I don't know if it is good or not, but we will see. Its small, which is one likely reason it isn't well known. Anyways, let me know what you come up with Richerso, and I'll keep you in the loop Pvillestang.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom