Flipper Nipping: Short, shorter, shortest fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam may not be aware of the level of innovation and invention and modification that is going on in the sidemount diving community
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am certainly aware..

Since the introduction of dive masks in the 1930s and a short time later fins and the bubble ,machine in the 1940s recreational diving has been in a constant state of morphism

Frist was the exposure suit-- the dry suit , then about 10 years later the wet suit--now either dry or wet

Then the floatation devices, the Mae West surplus, the horse collar , the BIU ect

Now the side mount

Hopefully diving will always be in a constant state of change by those who say Why ? And those who solve problems by saying Why Not?

SDM

Another option would be to consider the MAKO Competition II Fin. This fin is quite inexpensive (under $90) and has removable blades. This might be very advantageous for traveling with luggage constraints.

Francesea: if you want to experiment with chopping down a pair of blades, just place your order over the phone - remind us of this message and I will include a free (extra) pair of blades, so you can experiment with a little more confidence.

If you do make use of my offer, I would appreciate any feedback on the results of the shortened/modified blades.

And as usual, thanks Sam for the great historical perspective.

Competition Freediver II Fins | MAKO Spearguns

MCF2FBK-2T.jpg

Another option would be to consider the MAKO Competition II Fin. This fin is quite inexpensive (under $90) and has removable blades. This might be very advantageous for traveling with luggage constraints.

Francesea: if you want to experiment with chopping down a pair of blades, just place your order over the phone - remind us of this message and I will include a free (extra) pair of blades, so you can experiment with a little more confidence.

If you do make use of my offer, I would appreciate any feedback on the results of the shortened/modified blades.

And as usual, thanks Sam for the great historical perspective.

Competition Freediver II Fins | MAKO Spearguns

View attachment 438332
Soooo tempting! I am going to consult with family...

@MAKO Spearguns , the above post is my daughter wearing new competition freediver fins and I believe they fit, but hoping you can reassure me before I try any trimming?

sc901-1__59818.1510769358.1280.1280.jpg

These are 58 bucks @ scuba-choice.com. My XLs are 19.75 inches long. Really easy to back-kick with.

@MAKO Spearguns , the above post is my daughter wearing new competition freediver fins and I believe they fit, but hoping you can reassure me before I try any trimming?
It is difficult to tell from a photo. I think often the toes stick out a little more. If so, a neoprene sock or even a thick athletic sock may tighten it up.

Two tests that may help as well. Have person stand in the fins on a hard surface. Now raise up on your toes lifting the heel. If your heals immediately and easily pop out of the pockets than they may be too loose.

Another test, maybe more applicable, is to have a person sit on a kitchen chair and bend legs about 30 degrees or less and the do the flutter kick fast and hard. Try to kick the fins off your feet. If they fall off without a tremendous amount of effort, then they are too big/loose.

Remember most people will use a neoprene sock while using a full foot fin to enhance comfort. Although in warm water it is not unusual to see people go barefoot as well.

Back
Top Bottom