Flipper Nipping: Short, shorter, shortest fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My goal is to have fins that are a better fit or my short stature, 5’2”, and also fit into a carryon travel suitcase, ( max 20”long) but the question is: are these two things compatible?
So i got a free pair of beat up, but still good quality fins to experiment on. I put fins in travel case and marked cutting line to fit.
I trimmed about two inches off end of blades. I tried the recommended hacksaws, etc. that i read about on SB, but found that my heavy duty fiskars worked best
Next I took them to hotel swimming pool, and compared normal size fins, shortened fins and just the dive boots alone for length of pool swims with no arms, (i wore a shortie wetsuit, so i could not sink regardless of speed).
So no-arm swimming with booties took 54 fast kicks to go length of pool, my original fins are hard on surface swims, but with care could go length in 3 powerful kicks. The shortened fins took 4 easier kicks, so not as powerful, but still doing the job. So This is now my travel to warm water fins, while my regular length fins I’ll keep for local, wetsuit diving. Photos below:

A979F09C-B4A5-4C24-BEA9-125D7BF08CCF.jpeg
4DBF09DA-36D6-4736-8A1C-34E8BA220CC1.jpeg

YES!!

For even more fun, small solid foot pocket, (I'm a US 12) get a pair of these cheapies: Freedive Hunter Freediving Fins | MAKO Spearguns Best bang for the buck on earth.

Chop away! Jeez, if @MAKO Spearguns ever saw what I did to mine. :wink:
Can you post a picture of shortened full foot fins when you get a chance? So far i travel with tough bottom booties for walking on rocky beaches. On pure boat dives trip in warm water, your idea would eliminate need for booties And save on packing. Since I am packing for three, this weight/space is significant, even if buying more fins adds to SCUBA costs. That decicision Making seems to end with:
:spend:

OK, mine aren't shortened. I took a hand grinder with 80 grit to them to 'thin them out'. Lost the channels in the process :( Dano got the whole story, those puppys are too stiff for old fogeys. Well, me, anyway. I love the feel of them now, soft and slow power. Endless slow cruising...

The point is that these particular fins are beautifully basic and withstand all manner of modifications. Give me a bit, I'll post a pic.

I lied. Comparing them to the originals, I must have shortened them too. Anyway, I love them.

Custom Fin.jpg

Almost exactly one Kg each fin. You could continue to cut them all the way down to 'Zoomers' if you so wish.

I lied. Comparing them to the originals, I must have shortened them too. Anyway, I love them....
Almost exactly one Kg each fin. You could continue to cut them all the way down to 'Zoomers' if you so wish.
It take more courage to chop brand new fins, so i am first going to find used ones and experiment. I want the fins stiff for propulsion, but having the open toe pocket means the torque isn’t focused on the toes, but on the instep, just like the terribly expensive and awkward looking Force Fins. But if I cut at toe covering would damage integrity of foot pocket, so finding open toe pocket closed heel fins used is my next quest.

Interesting thread ....
@lowviz and especially @Francesea I applaud you for identifying a problem, searching for a solution and modifying your fins to solve the problem.

And @Dano as always I appreciate your very fine equipment and gracious attitude.

So many in the diving community consider any and all modifications to diving equipment a no! no! - almost a sacrilege.
Yet modern diving equipment is designed for the average with nominal occasional- often once a year - use,

In the mid point of the last century, around 1960 (?) the then great American photographic company "Kodak" introduced a slide projector that held 80 slides which could be projected on a screen in rapid succession as a "Slide program."

Recreational diving as we know it, was only 10-12 years old, and concentrated in SoCal which based on the "Club System" with bubble machine training via LA County UW Instructor Association training (UICC).

The clubs and the UICC formed the basis for a lecture circuit which I became a participant. We, the participants, presented slide programs to the SoCal Clubs, the LA Co ADP and UICCs and to the manufactures .

One of my early programs was "Equipment Modifications; for pleasure and comfort" This program required the then glasses less eyes to observe and document modifications I observed at the beach, on charted boats and of course those I took credit for developing . The program several years to produce was well received including articles in the popular dive magazines of that era, the LA Co UW news, the Pacific UW news and Skin diver Magazine.

Much of what was projected on a flimsy screen in front of the dive tribe at that time was some times rapidly introduced into the diving community and other modifications are just beginning to be common place after the passage of 50 plus years

Once again I commend you lowviz and Francesea asking why? then independently saying why not? and acting on your requirements to produce a fin that fit your needs -- There needs to be more like you..

Sam Miller, 111

Interesting thread ....
@lowviz and especially @Francesea I applaud you for identifying a problem, searching for a solution and modifying your fins to solve the problem.

And @Dano as always I appreciate your very fine equipment and gracious attitude.

So many in the diving community consider any and all modifications to diving equipment a no! no! - almost a sacrilege.
Yet modern diving equipment is designed for the average with nominal occasional- often once a year - use,

In the mid point of the last century, around 1960 (?) the then great American photographic company "Kodak" introduced a slide projector that held 80 slides which could be projected on a screen in rapid succession as a "Slide program."

Recreational diving as we know it, was only 10-12 years old, and concentrated in SoCal which based on the "Club System" with bubble machine training via LA County UW Instructor Association training (UICC).

The clubs and the UICC formed the basis for a lecture circuit which I became a participant. We, the participants, presented slide programs to the SoCal Clubs, the LA Co ADP and UICCs and to the manufactures .

One of my early programs was "Equipment Modifications; for pleasure and comfort" This program required the then glasses less eyes to observe and document modifications I observed at the beach, on charted boats and of course those I took credit for developing . The program several years to produce was well received including articles in the popular dive magazines of that era, the LA Co UW news, the Pacific UW news and Skin diver Magazine.

Much of what was projected on a flimsy screen in front of the dive tribe at that time was some times rapidly introduced into the diving community and other modifications are just beginning to be common place after the passage of 50 plus years

Once again I commend you lowviz and Francesea asking why? then independently saying why not? and acting on your requirements to produce a fin that fit your needs -- There needs to be more like you..

Sam Miller, 111
Sam may not be aware of the level of innovation and invention and modification that is going on in the sidemount diving community.

Back
Top Bottom