First time to Coz and first real dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHunt82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey friends!

Well I'm sorta new to diving. Been certified with for a while now but looking at my first blue water dive this December in Cozumel, Mexico. We are going on a cruise so I'll only have one day to get a dive in, or snorkeling at the very least. I know many of you have been down that way so I'm looking for any and all guidance.

What I'd really like to know is what are yall's favorite places to dive/snorkel and what dive shops should we check out?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have a limited opportunity to dive Coz from a Cruise ship. First you need to determine when you will be on the island. Then figure out the boat schedules. Most dive boats leave in the morning between 7:30-8:30 and many offer PM trips leaving at 12:00-1:30pm. The PM trips return between 3:30-7:00pm. If those times work than pick an op and book it. If they don't you can either book through the cruise, or try and find an op that caters to cruise times.

There are some advantages to booking with the cruise, but not many and mostly its very expensive vs. a standard dive op. The big advantage is they won't leave you behind. Call a few ops in Coz and discuss with them. They are in a much better place to answer your questions than I, or most SB folks. Also you may want this moved to the Coz forum......

There are quite a few ops in Coz that will have a later boat going out to accommodate for cruise ships. call around/email
and ask

What exactly are you refering to as blue water dive ?

Blue water dive means deep, like 6000 feet of ocean below, and only blue water as far as the eye can see. I don't think the Op understood that. I will move this to the Coz forum.

Diving in December increases the likelyhood of your diving being scrubbed because of winds closing the local port that the dive boats all come out of.

I'd advise to book through your cruise ship to lessen the issues associated with what you may face if the dives are scrubbed or even worse you get on the roller coaster ride of maybe they will maybe they won't be scrubbed... and you have to deal directly with a local dive shop with the wait and see what happens... maybe we can go out... wait... oh can't do it, maybe we can do the second dive... oh wait some more.. oh maybe not....oh, sorry not going to happen but thanks for hanging out all day, and now about getting your money back....

The cruise ship will be cut and dry, yes you're going, no you're not go do something else and here is your money back.

I will also be doing my first dive in coz from a cruise ship in nov. We are diving with Aldora they will wait on you and take you out when you get there.Check them out personally I use steel 100 tanks and thats what they use 120 - 100 .Aldora Divers of Cozumel

Back
Top Bottom